Component for Blu-Ray Movies?

PenguinMaster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Does using a component video hook-up on the Playstation 3 present a problem due to the HDCP on Blu-Ray movies? Are they downscaled to a lower resolution or worse in some other way?

If there was already a topic on this please direct me to it, but I searched and didn't see any specific discussion about Blu-Ray movies.

component works fine for bluray on a ps3.

unlike games were most are 720p and they could look bad on a set which does not support that resolution, all bluray movies are 1080p..

[quote name='ashram']i thought you were limited to 1080i for blu-ray movies using component... something to do with aacs.[/quote]That's right, the max resolution you get with component is 1080i.

[quote name='grendel19']That's right, the max resolution you get with component is 1080i.[/quote]

Only half right, a lot of older TV's do not support 1080p over component. However, this has changed and some TV's coming out out will do 1080p over component.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Only half right, a lot of older TV's do not support 1080p over component. However, this has changed and some TV's coming out out will do 1080p over component.[/QUOTE]

yes, some tv's can now take 1080p via component, but the ps3 will only play blu-ray movies at 1080i max using component. games can play at 1080p via component if they support it.

The downscaling of blu ray discs is due to the ICT flag. Which a studio can choose to use if it so desires. To my knowledge this has not yet been used on a blu ray disc to date. The movie will downscale to 540p if this flag is present.

As reported by other posters 1080i downscaling is because your TV cannot accept 1080p over component, very few do. As far as I know the Aquos line of TVs from sharp can recieve 1080p over component.

[Edit]
Also the ps3 will only output 480p over component for upscaling regular dvds.

yes, ict forces downscaling, and no one uses it yet, but if you do have a tv that supports 1080p over component, blu-ray will play at 1080i...

link from sony
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/video.html
and a quote from that page

For the system to output copyright-protected Blu-ray Discs at a resolution of 1080p, the system must be connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard using an HDMI cable.

small correction:
my tv can accept 1080p over component, but movies will only play 1080i max via component (same with the 360 and hd dvd's via component)

How can you tell Ashram if you TV supports that though without trying it?

I use HDMI to avoid hassle anyway (got it cheap from monoprice) but I am interested to know.

You can't do 1080p over component because you need HDCP to do 1080p HD output. HDMI will do it with HDCP, component won't do it (no HDCP), and you're limited to 1080i over component.

bread's done
Back