component or s-video?

trashsurfr

CAGiversary!
i always told myself that when i could get a gamecube for cheap and if it was without the component connection,then i would send it to nintendo and have it exchanged for one with the component input (for free,minus shipping. thats what i was told i could do over the phone,anyway). but,now that i see how much a component cable would cost me,i wonder if my s-video is good enough.

i have a nice hdtv and i am wondering if i should i go through the hassle and pay the extra money for all of this,or is the s-video good enough? i mean,is the component connection so great that its worth the extra price of admission?

Component is the only way to get progressive scan enabled for the games that support it.

I have my wii plugged in through component, and it makes the gamecube games that run in progressive look a little nicer, but its probably not that big a difference in the long run.
What is the going rate for a gamecube component cable?

My cube lacks the digital port as well, but its really not a big deal at all for me, since well, I use the wii as a gamecube (and just use the cube as a giabt gba anyway)

Difference between s and composite video is a little bit of sharpness, which in some cases, makes the picture look worse.

according to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=649817
only about 30% of the gamecube games even support progressive display modes.

i went from composite to s-video and to me it looked ten times better. i plan on geting a wii,well,when i can get a wii...but that is going to be well down the road. i think i will hold off on getting the component cable for the cube (which if i remember,goes fron anywhere from 30 to 40 bucks on ebay) and just enjoy thje cube via s-video until then. thanks for your reply.

It depends on the game. Most of the Nintendo games have great progressive scan support, but most other games don't have progressive scan support or barely look better with it on.

bread's done
Back