CompUSA Liquidation starts today - 10-30% off - Complete List Inside

Tirade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Saw over on SD that the CUSA stores are starting liquidation today.

Prices are starting at 20-40% (eventually going to 90%) off and each store can have a different discount amount. No more returns after today so "try it before you buy it" on electronics. Apparently service plans are still being sold and will be honored.

I'll add a 2nd post so we can update what stores are offering what.

Goodluck!

Edit: According to the liquidation list I posted below, Video game Hardware and Software is starting at 10% off and startegy guides are 20% off.

[quote name='ronnydobbs']Went to the store today (it's close to work) and the sales haven't changed yet, maybe tomorrow.

While I was there this guy bought 5 DS's at the 10% off....so basically he got it for tax free.[/quote]
5 DS's? geez -_- i guess tax free isa good... but 5 seems so, over the top, when its only a 10% thing.

Hmmm, 20% off on processors.... when they get to 40% i'll probably bite. Only question is, What is a good processor to buy. Research time!

Well, I bought ink cartridges today. Oh wait... This is CAG...

Seriously though, 10 to 20% isn't doing it for me. I saw things I wanted though. Wii Points for cheap wouldn't be so bad. A few decent PC games. Maybe an Xbox controller or some other accessory. They definitely got rid of all of their movies or something because their selection completely shrunk compared to when I saw it during the CoD 4 deal.

Wake me when there's a deeper price cut. People are definitely scoping the place out because I know I saw plenty of people not actually buying anything. Hopefully I can move in on some deals.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I stopped by after lunch today. PC & Mac games are now 15% off instead of just 10% off, but all video games, systems, and accessories are still only 10% off.

They only had one cashier since no one is buying at these prices. I saw the TV I just bought at Amazon "discounted" to only $700 more than Amazon is currently charging with no tax.

Pretty much the same at my CompUSA. The only thing different is that there are people inside buying stuff. I am worried that when they go down again there isnt going to be much left.

Compusa is like the Circuit City of going out of business sales. Always doing it wrong. Atleast this time it's for good.

Completely agree with you. Too bad that people that are not very informed are the ones that are buying these things that can be found at a lot of other retailers for cheaper. Unfortunately, not many people out there have a CAG's knowledge.

[quote name='Xerxes']Compusa is like the Circuit City of going out of business sales. Always doing it wrong. Atleast this time it's for good.[/QUOTE]

It's sad that they are trying to rip people off even as they're slowly dieing. Either liquidate the stuff and move on or stay open and continue ripping people off.

My CompUSA closed earlier this year and it was a turd of a sale all the way until the end. Nothing worth buying was more than 15% off even until the end. And believe me it was a long and overly drawn out store liquidation. At that point they had stores to move inventory to but none the less I would hold out if there is something you want and it won't sell out.

It doesn't appear that most people really understand how liquidation really works. CompUSA sold to Gordon Brothers who are handling the liquidation. Gordon Brothers paid for the merchandise and now own it. CompUSA is NOT managing this process and for all intents and purposes, no longer truly exists. The idea is to make as much money as possible to get the return out of their investment. Most of the product will be sold during the 10-20% off range. We all know it will take till 30% to really start becoming "good" deals. Computers typically carry a margin of around 5% so there will not be huge discounts on those. Everything in the store will be sold between 10-90% off. It is up to the individual consumer to decide when to buy based upon inventory levels. They will not discount product beyond the discount structure and are counting on many consumers thinking 10-20% is a good deal. I have already resigned myself to the fact that very few video games will be a good deal as many of the titles only have 1 or 2 in stock anyway. Gordon Brothers are not in business to take care of customers, only clear out the inventory in a profitable manner. They have been doing this for a long time and know how to perform these sales. They will watch the sales carefully and will change the discounts only when sales need to be jumpstarted again. People in the store will be kept in the dark until the last possible moment as to when these changes will occur.

Not sure if I helped with this post or muddled the situation further, but this attempt was made with noble intentions.

[quote name='stlrams']It doesn't appear that most people really understand how liquidation really works. CompUSA sold to Gordon Brothers who are handling the liquidation. Gordon Brothers paid for the merchandise and now own it. CompUSA is NOT managing this process and for all intents and purposes, no longer truly exists. The idea is to make as much money as possible to get the return out of their investment. Most of the product will be sold during the 10-20% off range. We all know it will take till 30% to really start becoming "good" deals. Computers typically carry a margin of around 5% so there will not be huge discounts on those. Everything in the store will be sold between 10-90% off. It is up to the individual consumer to decide when to buy based upon inventory levels. They will not discount product beyond the discount structure and are counting on many consumers thinking 10-20% is a good deal. I have already resigned myself to the fact that very few video games will be a good deal as many of the titles only have 1 or 2 in stock anyway. Gordon Brothers are not in business to take care of customers, only clear out the inventory in a profitable manner. They have been doing this for a long time and know how to perform these sales. They will watch the sales carefully and will change the discounts only when sales need to be jumpstarted again. People in the store will be kept in the dark until the last possible moment as to when these changes will occur.

Not sure if I helped with this post or muddled the situation further, but this attempt was made with noble intentions.[/quote]

Oh...wow, I didn't know that. Thanks.

This has been another installment of "How retail liquidation works." We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Thanks stlrams.:applause:;)

So, I'm curious as to anyone who may have gone in, did you look at say PS3s by any chance? I'm getting my new LCD TV today and I'm in the market for a game machine for PS3 and PS2 games plus upconverting DVDs so I figured a 10-20% off PS3 would be really nice. Can anyone confirm if PS3s are at 10% (f less, then that's not as compelling) and given the lack of anyone ever walking into CompUSA unless in need of shelter from the environment has anyone seen a 60GB unit?

[quote name='Ilario7886']So, I'm curious as to anyone who may have gone in, did you look at say PS3s by any chance? I'm getting my new LCD TV today and I'm in the market for a game machine for PS3 and PS2 games plus upconverting DVDs so I figured a 10-20% off PS3 would be really nice. Can anyone confirm if PS3s are at 10% (f less, then that's not as compelling) and given the lack of anyone ever walking into CompUSA unless in need of shelter from the environment has anyone seen a 60GB unit?[/quote]

PS3s are still 10% off as of today. They only had 40 & 80s at mine.

What got me is the amount of people working there. I mean, hello, if you're actually getting rid of shit you can get rid of those people sooner.

Screw CompUSA. I went into my local store yesterday. On the shelf there was a sign that said Xbox 360 accessories were 10% off. I was looking for a 12-mo. Xbox Live subscription card since mine runs out next month. On the shelf there was a "Manager's Special" sign that said the cards were something like $35 instead of the normal $50. I brought one up to the counter and it rang up at the full $50! I showed the guy the sign and he grabbed it and ripped it up and said the price had changed. Not even 10% off? WTF? Told him he could keep it and left.

[quote name='ScoJo']Screw CompUSA. I went into my local store yesterday. On the shelf there was a sign that said Xbox 360 accessories were 10% off. I was looking for a 12-mo. Xbox Live subscription card since mine runs out next month. On the shelf there was a "Manager's Special" sign that said the cards were something like $35 instead of the normal $50. I brought one up to the counter and it rang up at the full $50! I showed the guy the sign and he grabbed it and ripped it up and said the price had changed. Not even 10% off? WTF? Told him he could keep it and left.[/quote]

What part of all of those posts did you NOT understand? Also, I guess the liquidators figure that controllers and play and charge kits are 360 'accessories', but not XBL subscription cards. Have you tried Kmart or Sears yet for XBL cards? They routinely have them on sale/clearance.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

What part of all of those posts did you NOT understand? Also, I guess the liquidators figure that controllers and play and charge kits are 360 'accessories', but not XBL subscription cards. Have you tried Kmart or Sears yet for XBL cards? They routinely have them on sale/clearance.[/quote]

So you're telling me that the store is being liquidated and the XBL cards are being sold at retail price - when the huge signs everywhere say that the ENTIRE store is 10-30% off? Look, I'm not saying I needed to get the manager's special price, but I was looking for SOME discount. Not sure who pissed in your Cheerios this morning, but relax.

[quote name='ScoJo']Not sure who pissed in your Cheerios this morning, but relax.[/quote]

LOL great line. You should have ended that with BONG!!!!!

I'm going to keep checking because I'm in the market for one of those nifty LCD picture frames and my CompUSA had a truck load of them... so I'll patiently wait until 20 or 30% off.

Not game related but CompUSA related.

[quote name='ScoJo']So you're telling me that the store is being liquidated and the XBL cards are being sold at retail price - when the huge signs everywhere say that the ENTIRE store is 10-30% off? Look, I'm not saying I needed to get the manager's special price, but I was looking for SOME discount. Not sure who pissed in your Cheerios this morning, but relax.[/quote]

So basically, you were pissed off that they wouldn't give you $5 off of something you could actually get cheaper @ Sears or Kmart without having to deal with the spotty liquidation discounts?

I was just saying that you made a stink over $5, which in the end you could've saved had you just gone to places known to have the cards discounted in the first place.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So basically, you were pissed off that they wouldn't give you $5 off of something you could actually get cheaper @ Sears or Kmart without having to deal with the spotty liquidation discounts?

I was just saying that you made a stink over $5, which in the end you could've saved had you just gone to places known to have the cards discounted in the first place.[/quote]

Man, I have no idea what is up your ass. It just so happens that in my area Sears and Kmart are selling these fucking cards for $50 too. You'll forgive me for not knowing which places are "known to have discounted cards in the first place" since this is my first renewal since I just got my Xbox last year. I'm off to order it on buy.com anyway. Since you seem like the type that needs to get in the last word, by all means go ahead. Luckily I found what I needed on other threads here.

Again, I was just saying that you COULD(didn't say ya would find them cheaper) find them cheaper @ Kmart or Sears. No need to get so riled up, much like ya did at the CompUSA store over something that was out of the employees control, I'm sure.

If ya thought the card should've been $45 instead of $50, you could've always....I don't know.....looked for and talked to a MANAGER who could've helped you? People give up too easily on things, if you ask me.

Either way, I was simply trying to tell ya that you could've avoided the CUSA thing by hitting Sears/Kmart, no need to get all riled up. Then again, maybe I'm a lil abrasive at times in the way I respond.

[quote name='ScoJo']Man, I have no idea what is up your ass. It just so happens that in my area Sears and Kmart are selling these fucking cards for $50 too. You'll forgive me for not knowing which places are "known to have discounted cards in the first place" since this is my first renewal since I just got my Xbox last year. I'm off to order it on buy.com anyway. Since you seem like the type that needs to get in the last word, by all means go ahead. Luckily I found what I needed on other threads here.[/quote]

Your store must be behind the times man. I cleared my COMPUsa store of their 13 month cards and I only paid 30 each after discount. :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So basically, you were pissed off that they wouldn't give you $5 off of something you could actually get cheaper @ Sears or Kmart without having to deal with the spotty liquidation discounts?

I was just saying that you made a stink over $5, which in the end you could've saved had you just gone to places known to have the cards discounted in the first place.[/QUOTE] How is this hard for you to understand.

Liquidation policy is 10% off video games and acessories.
Price for 1 year of XBL is $50
SO, liquidation price is $45. CompUSA is too stupid tp even honor their liquidations, this is why he is not happy.

For some reason you're offended by perfectly sound reasoning and want him to have to shop at Kmart or Sears (where the service is almost certainly as shitty as CompUSAs)? You're not very good at this cheap ass thing, are you? And the $45 tag for the XBL is NOT out of employee pricing. All the signs say employees apply the discount at checkout, so it is, as a matter of fact, an employee issue.

[quote name='prateeko']How is this hard for you to understand.

Liquidation policy is 10% off video games and acessories.
Price for 1 year of XBL is $50
SO, liquidation price is $45. CompUSA is too stupid tp even honor their liquidations, this is why he is not happy.

For some reason you're offended by perfectly sound reasoning and want him to have to shop at Kmart or Sears (where the service is almost certainly as shitty as CompUSAs)? You're not very good at this cheap ass thing, are you? And the $45 tag for the XBL is NOT out of employee pricing. All the signs say employees apply the discount at checkout, so it is, as a matter of fact, an employee issue.[/quote]

I didn't argue that there SHOULD have been at least a $5 discount on the XBL card, but when there wasn't, ScoJo should've taken it to a MANAGER instead of relying on the hourly shlup(who is losing their job and if they have no new one lined up already, are probably annoyed and don't wanna be there)to match the price to the discount signs.

Instead, they just stormed off in a huff without FIGHTING for the discount the should've received. Or, here's another idea, since I've been to tons of these liquidation sales, maybe the store marked the XBL cards up to PAST the 'normal' retail of $50 and thus ScoJo WAS receiving the discount, but it was off of the NEW MSRP the liquidators made up?

All is not as ScoJo would like you to seem, since the card probably WAS marked down to $50 from some other price the liquidators put it up to. They're in the business of making money from the store closings, not giving away everything at whatever the shoppers THINK they should get it at. I've been to enough of these sales and have seen things marked higher than normal MSRP, so imo, that's what musta happened.

Back when Sam Goody was closing stores once they got bought up by Transworld, they had new/sealed games from the PS2/Xbox/GC era for $59.99 each when the sales started out. As the sales progress, the % off gets better, but it takes a while.

That's just my 2 cents on what happened, ScoJo thought the card should be $49.99 and $45 with discount, but they probably marked it up.

i went to compusa today at 5th avenue and 37th and most of the games [pc and consoles] are 10% off. there were some that are 15% but they are the suck ones like those petz games.

10%
games
hard drives
mouse
monitors [pc monitors]
video cards

20%
power supply

30%
pc cases

[quote name='Shimrra']LOL great line. You should have ended that with BONG!!!!![/quote]

I agree, lol.... piss in your cheerios this morning is classic, i loved it.

im gonna wait awhile before i check out my comp usa, not only cuz i dont got money and im waitin for paychecks but i know that if i go now i'll be paying retail at other stores with their discount

compusa sucks only time i enjoyed it was when they were too stupid to ask bestbuy if their add was a misprint when i bought like 7 gold subscriptions awhile ago for 20 a piece

im hoping i can snatch up a ps3 or maybe a laptop

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I didn't argue that there SHOULD have been at least a $5 discount on the XBL card, but when there wasn't, ScoJo should've taken it to a MANAGER instead of relying on the hourly shlup(who is losing their job and if they have no new one lined up already, are probably annoyed and don't wanna be there)to match the price to the discount signs.

Instead, they just stormed off in a huff without FIGHTING for the discount the should've received. Or, here's another idea, since I've been to tons of these liquidation sales, maybe the store marked the XBL cards up to PAST the 'normal' retail of $50 and thus ScoJo WAS receiving the discount, but it was off of the NEW MSRP the liquidators made up?

All is not as ScoJo would like you to seem, since the card probably WAS marked down to $50 from some other price the liquidators put it up to. They're in the business of making money from the store closings, not giving away everything at whatever the shoppers THINK they should get it at. I've been to enough of these sales and have seen things marked higher than normal MSRP, so imo, that's what musta happened.

Back when Sam Goody was closing stores once they got bought up by Transworld, they had new/sealed games from the PS2/Xbox/GC era for $59.99 each when the sales started out. As the sales progress, the % off gets better, but it takes a while.

That's just my 2 cents on what happened, ScoJo thought the card should be $49.99 and $45 with discount, but they probably marked it up.[/quote]

Now you are grasping at straws. The price marked on the shelf was actually $34.99 (marked as a manager's special - "was $49.99"). It rang up at $49.99. Now if you're telling me that at CompUSA they are now marking things 10% HIGHER than retail in order to "liquidate" things at full retail price, then I stand by my original statement - "Screw CompUSA".

[quote name='ScoJo']The price marked on the shelf was actually $34.99 (marked as a manager's special - "was $49.99").[/quote]

That's what mine were marked as and rang up after 10% for 31.XX. Snagged that plus the gold box with billiards and headset for same price. Your store must really not want to sell anything.

[quote name='ScoJo']Now you are grasping at straws. The price marked on the shelf was actually $34.99 (marked as a manager's special - "was $49.99"). It rang up at $49.99. Now if you're telling me that at CompUSA they are now marking things 10% HIGHER than retail in order to "liquidate" things at full retail price, then I stand by my original statement - "Screw CompUSA".[/quote]

How can I put this simply, so even YOU can understand? When a store is CLOSING, all manager special, weekly circular and any other 'sale' prices go out the window.

It doesn't matter if you bitch and moan all the live long day about it, since the liquidators know if you balk at the jacked up prices, some other shlep behind you will come in and buy the shit for the '10% off'.

Was it an error on their part to leave up the manager special sign, which made you think the XBL cards were still @ that price? Yes. Did you take the time to find a manager and at least try to get $5 off the $50 price it was ringing up? Not from the sound of your original post, you didn't.

I know when stuff rings up the wrong price or is supposed to be on sale, I find a manager and try to get the price it's advertised at. But again, during a store closing sale/liquidation, NO SALE PRICES LISTED ON THE SHELVES OR IN WEEKLY CIRCULARS ARE HONORED USUALLY!!

So please, go educate yourself about what happens at liquidation sales and you'll see that(for once), I'm right. Or ask anyone here who's been to one of these sales. They don't have to honor shit, just to suit you.

[quote name='devilman2075']im gonna wait awhile before i check out my comp usa, not only cuz i dont got money and im waitin for paychecks but i know that if i go now i'll be paying retail at other stores with their discount

compusa sucks only time i enjoyed it was when they were too stupid to ask bestbuy if their add was a misprint when i bought like 7 gold subscriptions awhile ago for 20 a piece

im hoping i can snatch up a ps3 or maybe a laptop[/quote]

Grammar and punctuation?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How can I put this simply, so even YOU can understand? When a store is CLOSING, all manager special, weekly circular and any other 'sale' prices go out the window.

It doesn't matter if you bitch and moan all the live long day about it, since the liquidators know if you balk at the jacked up prices, some other shlep behind you will come in and buy the shit for the '10% off'.

Was it an error on their part to leave up the manager special sign, which made you think the XBL cards were still @ that price? Yes. Did you take the time to find a manager and at least try to get $5 off the $50 price it was ringing up? Not from the sound of your original post, you didn't.

I know when stuff rings up the wrong price or is supposed to be on sale, I find a manager and try to get the price it's advertised at. But again, during a store closing sale/liquidation, NO SALE PRICES LISTED ON THE SHELVES OR IN WEEKLY CIRCULARS ARE HONORED!!

So please, go educate yourself about what happens at liquidation sales and you'll see that(for once), I'm right. Or ask anyone here who's been to one of these sales. They don't have to honor shit, just to suit you.[/quote]

Wow, just when I thought you were going to stop being an abrasive ass you prove me wrong again. I thought we established I WASN'T LOOKING FOR THE MANAGER'S SPECIAL. I only reiterated that since you wanted to start asserting that CompUSA might have marked it HIGHER than $49.99. Sheesh, you need a Prozac prescription or something. If CompUSA expects anyone to buy the damn thing for $49.99 thinking they are getting "10% off" then they can choke on it as far as I am concerned.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']That's what mine were marked as and rang up after 10% for 31.XX. Snagged that plus the gold box with billiards and headset for same price. Your store must really not want to sell anything.[/quote]

Dang, according to IAmTheCheapestGamer you got off cheaper than you should have. Congrats - that is what I was hoping would happen to me. At the very least I expected to get it for $45. All is well, though - I just ordered it from buy.com for a total of a little more than $37.

[quote name='ScoJo']Wow, just when I thought you were going to stop being an abrasive ass you prove me wrong again. I thought we established I WASN'T LOOKING FOR THE MANAGER'S SPECIAL. I only reiterated that since you wanted to start asserting that CompUSA might have marked it HIGHER than $49.99. Sheesh, you need a Prozac prescription or something. If CompUSA expects anyone to buy the damn thing for $49.99 thinking they are getting "10% off" then they can choke on it as far as I am concerned.[/quote]

I certainly don't mean to come off as abrasive, but quite frankly, you did shit to stand up for yourself when you were AT CompUSA. You didn't grab a manager and say 'these were marked @ yadda yadda price but I was told they're not at that price, what price are they at for the 10% discount'.

Instead, you stormed off and are probably considering a billg(see the thread: How Circuit City ruind my weekend, about how he wanted sale prices that were good the day OF Black Friday the day after)like standalone thread to say 'good riddance to CUSA, they tried charging me full MSRP for an XBL card, when I should've got it for this price'.

I certainly hope not, since then billg will have some stiff competition for CAG Villian Of The Year.

See, everything turned out for the best in the end. You got the card from another source for cheap and no stand alone thread was needed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

I certainly hope not, since then billg will have some stiff competition for CAG Villian Of The Year.[/quote]
In my part of the country, we call him "CAG who must not be named" for fear of him appearing and going on and on and on about Dreamcast games not being in stock at a store even though they were in the Christmas Circulars ten years ago. Please, don't even type his name.

But seriously...

At my CompUSA, they had price slips (or whatever you want to call them) on the shelves in two different places showing the point cards at "Manager's Special" prices. Then at the registers, they said that they weren't honoring that price, because they weren't CompUSA anymore. It took forever to get a manager, so I could totally understand somebody giving up angry.

How hard is it to walk around the store and pull the price tags off of the shelves, if they aren't the right prices anymore?

If I knew how to do HTML and stuff, I'd give you a "Show Spoiler" button here and hide "Not Very". Just imagine I did.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']would that suggest that all games are 15% off as well??!![/quote]

I was there a few days ago and PC & Mac games were 15% off but console games were only 10% off.

bread's done
Back