COMPUSA $XX.88/XX.53 Deals - tips/tricks - anniversary sale (YMMV)

Mr. Rhee

CAGiversary!
There are a few other threads regarding ymmv compusa clearance sales etc. but I didn't want this to get lost in the shuffle.

After hitting a few CUs last night and making a few calls, I noticed that many local Compusa's had clearance racks/tables/sections for games (console/pc). But every single item ended with $xx.88 (88 cents) or $.53 and all these games were 50% off. $1.88, $9.88, $39.88, $19.53 etc.

now the actual instore prices DO not always match the website prices or store vs. store prices but the games that were listed on the site ending w/ $.88/.53 were all on clearance in-stores. using the zip code item locator on CUs site, then visiting the stores reaped great savings. First I checked the site online looking for games that ended in $.88/.53 and found:

online:
Mission Impossible $39.53 (ps2, but got them to pricematch the xb version)
Spy Hunter 2 $39.88 (xb)
Blowout $19.98 (xb)
Mace Griffin $19.98 (xb)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone $19.88 (gc)
and many more.

now some of these prices suck, but after visiting the store, all these games were red-stickered and had a small display sign reading:

"50% off lowest price"

the same games were priced instore:
Mission Impossible $29.53
Spy Hunter 2 $29.88 (xb)
Blowout $9.98 (xb)
Mace Griffin $9.98 (xb)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone $14.88 (gc)

these prices are a bit better, but slash them in half and you'll see the great savings. yes some of these games may drop in the future, or may be cheaper at target/kb clearance, but I was more than happy paying:

Mission Impossible $29.53 ---> $15
Spy Hunter 2 $29.88 (xb)---> $15
Blowout $9.98 (xb)---> $5
Mace Griffin $9.98 (xb)---> $5
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone $14.88 (gc)---> $7.50

the 50% discount had to be manually applied and the cashier had to use a handheld calculator before changing each price. keep this in mind because you may have to watch very carefully to see if the cashier is entering the right price for your games. check the receipt before leaving the store.

recap: (ymmv)

- check the compusa.com site for games ending in 88 or 53 cents.
- use the zip code locator to see if the games are available instore
- check the store because these games may be on sale cheaper then web prices, plus even up to 50% off lowest marked price

after lots of pestering, a compusa manager told me that this info is accurate and that most stores will be clearing out LOTS of GAMES for the Compusa Anniversary sale coming up within next 2 weeks. if you notice there's no compusa circular in this weeks newspaper because they are gearing up for a huge sale in two weeks + nationwide clearance.

if it shows "not available", most likely sold out. but, if a game doesn't show up online, it could still be on clearance instore. found a few like that. worth checking instore anyway.

Cool... thanks. So, when are the games going to be at the lowest price... right now, or when the nationwide sale starts in 2 weeks?

rep/mgr said anniversary sale is storewide/nationwide/webwide for compusa so maybe the games will drop even lower. but compusa is like all retailers, plenty of vg/holiday overstock, so games will drop soon, hopefully to the same levels that target & circuit city had instore.

Hmmm.... This is def. YMMV; I just went to CompUSA and although all the games that ended .88 were clearanced, no additional 50% off! :( :( :( :( Maybe I just came to early? (They open at 11 AM and I just came in at 11:15) Not much cleareanced, if you ask me...Yoshi's Island - $29.88

I'm with sailotchrono. I just got back from a CUSA and the only they had was a rack with games that said:

Games $19.99 and under

I noticed some games ending in .88, but no clearance/red sticker anywhere. Plus, an employee had no idea of such clearance. So, it may be a YMMV thing.

I went to Compusa in Paramus, NJ and there was a couple of bins set out full of PC,PS2, DC, GC and XB games with signs saying 25% off lowest ticketed price. The XB and PS2 games ranged from $14.88 to $34.88, DC were about $7.88.

The games that stood out were:

XBox - Smashing Drive, NightCaster, Fuzion Frenzy, Dr. Muto, Inside Drive 2003, NCAA Football 2003 (all around 14.88, can't remember exactly)

PS2 - TimeSplitters 2 for , there was a bunch of other games, some RPGs that I couldn't believe were there in the bin.. but had $34 price tag.

DC - WWF Wrestlemania, NFL QB Club

They also had Halo action figures for $5.99, which I couldn't resist buying. Check out the movies in the back too there's some good ones for 9.99.

My compusa has had a ton of clearance games for about 3 months, but the prices are very high and haven't dropped. Everytime I go into the store I ask them when the prices are going to drop, and they never know. Hopefully they'll drop now.

There is absolutely no way in hell the crappy CompUSA in Memphis, TN will do that, but I will vainly attempt to do this in a few weeks, with no expectations whatsoever.

bread's done
Back