CompUSA Zyxel Wireless Router/bridge $9.99 AR works with XBOX/PS2

ofacto

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Thanks to allisolm at www.anandtech.com for this deal.

The Zyxel P-330WC Wireless Router is onsale at CompUSA's site for $9.99 after rebate. This is great because it can also be used as bridge with most routers. I have this set up in bridge mode and my PS2, XBOX 360 and replayTV are all connected to it. It works great with XBOX Live. It does take some tweaking to get it to work properly so this isn't for the novice, but its a great deal considering that Microsoft's wireless adapter is $100 bucks and they don't even make a wireless adapter for the PS2.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=329138&pfp=BROWSE

They also have other ZyXEL product's on sale:

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?mfg_id=1625&in_dim_search=1&N=401625&mfg_name=ZyXEL

It says delivery only but the prices may be the same instore.

Thanks OP, Picked one up, PM sent for add'l info :)
They must've sold out online, now it says "in-store" only. Strange that they keep it exclusive to either/or, when they obviously had it for both at the start.

Here's some instructions on how to bridge the router to another router. Stolen from SlickDogg at FW:

1) Make sure SSID broadcast is on in your other router/access point

Connect router to a pc (makes sure its the only router connected) and type 192.168.1.1 into internet explorer. When it asks for a user/password type "admin/1234" thats the default login info for this router.

2) Turn off the DHCP server (may not be necessary but can’t hurt anything).
3) Set its LAN address to a non conflicting IP address on the same subnet as your router.
4) Set its SSID to the same as your router
5) Set its WPA key to be the same as the router
6) Set it to bridge mode
7) Set it to client mode
8) You do not want to disable the access point.
9) Go into site survey
10) Select your site/SSID
11) Click on connect.
12) Once it has successfully connected it will automatically reconnect when you turn its power on.

ok so i think this is what i need for my room but i'm not sure. well right now, my only way to connect to the internet from my room is via wireless adapter. well i have a desktop, laptop, and an xbox in my room and i only have a wireless adapter for the laptop. would i be able to have this in my room to pick up the wireless signal from downstairs, and hook up my desktop, laptop and xbox to it via ethernet cable? i just want to avoid having to pick up separate adapters, so if anyone could let me know if this is what i need it'd be appreciated. thanks.

[quote name='minqqq']ok so i think this is what i need for my room but i'm not sure. well right now, my only way to connect to the internet from my room is via wireless adapter. well i have a desktop, laptop, and an xbox in my room and i only have a wireless adapter for the laptop. would i be able to have this in my room to pick up the wireless signal from downstairs, and hook up my desktop, laptop and xbox to it via ethernet cable? i just want to avoid having to pick up separate adapters, so if anyone could let me know if this is what i need it'd be appreciated. thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this would work if you set it up in bridge mode (described above) then you can connect all three.

so can you do this bridge mode with any other wireless router? i'm just afraid this bridge mode configuration may go over the top of my head, and maybe there's one out there that doesn't take too much networking knowledge.

[quote name='minqqq']so can you do this bridge mode with any other wireless router? i'm just afraid this bridge mode configuration may go over the top of my head, and maybe there's one out there that doesn't take too much networking knowledge.[/QUOTE]

It isn't as hard as its sounds, and this router is very rare in that it will bridge with almost any router and it supports WPA security in bridge mode. Its worth try, just don't send in any rebates until you are sure it works.

I was a complete novice before I got this router, but the prospect of having all my game consoles wirelessly connected all at once made me try this and I'm glad I did cause it beats having cables all over the place.

ah thanks so much op for the deal. i have this thing working as a bridge and i have my xbox and 2 computers hooked up to it, and it works wonderfully. plus i saved a ton of money because i was about to buy a wireless adapter for the desktop, and xbox.

bread's done
Back