Computer freezing up, what to check?

jah_warrior28

CAGiversary!
Recently i've been having trouble with my computer. It sometimes (more often lately) freezes up with not error messages, it simply stops responding. The mouse pointer freezes, along with whatever was on the screen. It happens both when using the computer and when it is idle. I figured it was a virus or spyware problem so I just reformatted the drive with windows, but I still am having problems. I'm thinking its a hardware problem, but i'm not sure where to start. thanks for any help

Sounds like your processor is overheating. Download Speedfan and check your temps.

But it could be your memory as well. If you have any extra, you may want to swap out the modules.

I downloaded speedfan and it looks like heat is my issue. One of the monitors was in the red, around 42C. I guess I need to go buy another fan. I've had this computer for a couple years and haven't had any cooling issues, maybe its just getting old and fickle.

Thanks for the help!

42c is not bad for a cpu..

powersupply could be going out on you, could have a stick of ram dying.. it could be a whole mess of things.. look at the caps around the cpu socket and see if they are bulging or leaking..

Yeah, I would actually consider 42C to be the norm for a decently-cooled system. (mind you my PCs are at least 3 years old)

Since you didn't mention any error messages popping up, I'm guessing it may not be a faulty RAM issue. But if you got time to kill you can get/Google memtest86 and run it for a few minutes and see if it catches anything (I've had faulty ram freeze and reboot my PC, but mixed in with error messages also)

it can be so many things, do you hear a clicking noise of any sort? it might be your hard drive dying out.

Does not sound like a Power Supply issue.

Whatever the case may be, I'll tell you this much:

BACK UP YOUR DATA!

If it is the hard drive failing, you don't want all of your data to die with it.

[quote name='Jewelz23']Does not sound like a Power Supply issue.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Definitely could be the hard drive, but it's kind of hard to tell unless you can actually hear it going out. I'm sure there's some type of test you can run on it.

Generally when you've got faulty RAM, you'll get access errors and whatnot, like someone else said. That could still be the case, though.

This seems to me to be something you're going to have to figure out via process of elimination. I'm certainly not an expert, but most of the above suggestions seem plausible.

Sorry, been really busy the past few days...
If 42c is normal then i'm not sure what it is. I have opened the case and dusted, then took the ram out and put it back it. The system seems to do fine now if it is idle or just playing music, it did not freeze up at all today until I tried to use it.

It freezes up faster when I try to open more then a couple programs (firefox, musicmatch, and browsing folders). I think this points to the ram (possibly hard drive, but it doesn't make any noise).

Thanks again guys, gonna try pulling out one of the sticks of ram and see if stops freezing, its gonna be slow as hell though with only 512

Ok my tests are done, but the problem is far from solved

With only stick A the system would boot the desktop then the computer would restart
With stick B the system would not boot past the windows screen.

After putting them both in together, the computer doesn't boot at all. Instead, hear the HD grinding, then 2 short beeps. I'm searching google now to see what to do.

I haven't been able to check the temps, but the case has been open so it can't be too hot.

Ouch.

Grinding like grinding, or the normal drive noise?

Look on your motherboard for the CMOS chip, and the brand on it. Google the brand + beep codes. You might already know that, but oh well.

I've gotten the beeps/grinding to stop, It had to do with the ram. I think its just fickle about how its stuck in. Now I don't get the beeps, but my monitor doesn't turn on (like its not getting a signal).

Is there any chance my earlier problems could be related to the video card?
I don't have another one handy or on board video to check right away.

I wouldn't usually expect the video card, but it is possible. Do you hear the hard drive working like it's trying to load Windows? Probably not. I've had 2 no video/no beeps scenarios this week and I've had to replace the motherboard both times.

I'd clear your CMOS in the meantime since you can't swap your video, your settings could be screwed up and that'll reset them.. There should either be a jumper labeled "clr cmos" or you can unplug the power cord, and remove the battery for 15-30 minutes.

I did the reset you suggested. I have been able to get boots, but they freeze before it is complete. I'm gonna order some new ram, which i think is the probably. Is it odd for 2 sticks to go bad at the same time?

[quote name='jah_warrior28']Is it odd for 2 sticks to go bad at the same time?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, definitely odd. So it's just freezing when loading Windows? That honestly sounds like some kind of hard drive issue to me, or a messed up install of Windows.

another update:
I got windows to install on another HD I had around the house. I am now getting clean boots. I am STILL getting freeze ups, i'm using both sticks of ram. I'm waiting for my new ram to get here to see if that helps.
Do you think it could be processor related? or know anyway to check to see if it is?

Thanks again!

Unless the processor is overheating, then there's not really anything else that would bother the CPU. I'd still monitor the temperature under heavy load, I think you said you weren't able to do that earlier. Even with the case open, overheating could still be an issue.

RAM sounds more likely though.

bread's done
Back