Computer indecision

shrewmdust

CAGiversary!
I finally have the funds together to build my next PC, about $1000 with the added bonus that I don't need to buy a monitor. So basicaly I've got an Athlon64 3500, a 6600gt PCI 16x, this 939/PCIE mobo, a gig of decent ram and other misc goodies.

Mainly I'm concerned with whether or not it's worth it to go with the PCI express setup over agp. I want to be able to upgrade as much as possible over the next couple years, so is it best to avoid agp? Or should I scrap the mobo and vid card and go with a cheaper agp board and a radeon x800 pro?

gracias amigos

I'd go with PCI-E. Everyone I know is already referring to AGP as yesterday's news.

But that's just if you want to be cutting edge. AGP won't be phased out for a while so not being able to upgrade should not be a concern at the moment.

You stole my PC specs!!1

J/k. Good luck with your PC. Currently, AGP is still completely fine for gaming. However, PCI-E is the newest deal with graphics, so it will only slowly engulf AGP. For now, AGP is fine. But if you want a mobo that you can upgrade its graphics card down the road, you'll want to go with PCI-E.

[quote name='shrewmdust']I finally have the funds together to build my next PC, about $1000 with the added bonus that I don't need to buy a monitor. So basicaly I've got an Athlon64 3500, a 6600gt PCI 16x, this 939/PCIE mobo, a gig of decent ram and other misc goodies.

Mainly I'm concerned with whether or not it's worth it to go with the PCI express setup over agp. I want to be able to upgrade as much as possible over the next couple years, so is it best to avoid agp? Or should I scrap the mobo and vid card and go with a cheaper agp board and a radeon x800 pro?

gracias amigos[/quote]

I would get an X800XL if your funds will allow it. MSRP's for $300, I think you can get it for less, but much better than X800 Pro.

bread's done
Back