Computer problem

coolsteel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
103 (100%)
Alright so my Computer (Dell XPS400) just decided to crap out, usb functionality 100 percent died. Has no ps2 connections so I can't hook up a keyboard or mouse to it. My question is, how can I get the data off the hard drive? So far I took the drive to a motherboard without one and tried booting it but it just blue screens, any help would be appreciated.

Plug it into a computer that has a HDD already and is working.
or
Buy a usb enclosure, plug into computer that has a HDD already and is working.

See if you can access the info.

If you can't, shit sucks.

If you can, yay, grab what you need.

Well, taking a drive from one machine and attaching it to another system and trying to boot is just asking for pain and trouble. None of the drivers or anything else for that matter, match up, so you will error out left and right.

Best thing you can do is add it as a slave drive to another system, or find a shop that might let you plug it into a working machine and then pump the data off the drive.

You could just buy a drive, and add it as a primary drive and make the old drive an internal backup drive. A 1TB drive can be had for just over $100 online.

buy the adapter to make it a useable external HDD and take what you need off of it. Its really cheap

Thanks a ton for all suggestions, hooking it up to another working computer as a slave drive worked.

As for the service tag number 8t35t91 , but then it was up to date anyway. From what I found on google the usb failure isn't unheard of

bread's done
Back