Computer restarting randomly---Help?

mombbsmj

CAG Newbie
My computer randomly restarts no matter what game I am playing. From a simple one like Diner Dash to Titan Quest. Most of the componets are a couple years old. I have 1 gig of ram, 4200ti video card, 3.0 processor. Any help would be appreciated. I have downloaded and installed all video card updates.

It could be overheating as the previous poster suggested. Look in your BIOS when you restart your computer and get your temperature and make sure its running in tolerable ranges. I think it is more likely to be a virus of some sort. I would run HijackThis and go to trendmirco's site and do a free online scan.

Power supply could be dying as well- if you have not added any new components- then it could be a dying power supply. (If it isn't heat) Take the side off your case, and put a big fan next to the box- turn it to max and see if you have the same problem.

Also- try disconnecting a few devices (extra cd rom, etc) and see if you have the same problem.

It's mostly your PS or overheating CPU.

Get SpeedFan and play a game in window mode, monitor the temperatures (they're not labeled but you can usually find the CPU by the one that shoots up the most when doing something task heavy) and amperage readings on the + 3.3V, 5V, and +12V rail. The +12V rail is most likely the problem. They should be +/- 5% from the rail value (i.e., the +12V rail should read between 11.4A to 12.6A).

Thanks for your help so far. I'm going to try running the programs suggested. I don't think it's the power supply since I just got a new one about 4 months ago, unless it's going bad. Sorry for the stupid question but if it is overheating what is the best solution? Bigger or additional fans?

Hm... that's sort of a hard issue to address. More fans aren't always the best, it could just be bad airflow.

If you could provide a image of the inside of your case, it would be easier to tell you if airflow is an issue or not.

Also, have you installed anything new recently?

bread's done
Back