Computer sound glitching? *updated*

Sporadic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
A few days ago, the sound on my computer has become increasingly glitchy. I ruled out both my TV and my headphones (both don't suffer from this while watching my cable box or hd-dvd player). What could be causing this? The sound is running through HDMI and I am using the built in sound on my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried using sound through a traditional audio port? where do you plus your headphones in? first guess would be the video card or the hdmi cable from the card to tv.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']have you tried using sound through a traditional audio port? where do you plus your headphones in? first guess would be the video card or the hdmi cable from the card to tv.[/QUOTE]

I haven't. Headphones (wireless if it matters) are plugged in on the headphone jack on the side of my TV. I run the sound from my PC to TV through HDMI (Realtek High Definition Audio)

If I change my HDMI cable (have had it for over a year with no issues) and it doesn't resolve the issue, does that mean it's the video card?

[quote name='Sporadic']I haven't. Headphones (wireless if it matters) are plugged in on the headphone jack on the side of my TV. I run the sound from my PC to TV through HDMI (Realtek High Definition Audio)

If I change my HDMI cable (have had it for over a year with no issues) and it doesn't resolve the issue, does that mean it's the video card?[/QUOTE]

try plugging the headphones straight into the computer, either the front or back audioport (shouldnt matter that its wireless). if youre getting good sound then most likely its something with the video card since youve ruled out the hdmi cable and the tv itself.

edit, misread that the first time and thought you tried and hdmi cable swap. check the hdmi cable and also do the headphones straight to the computer.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']try plugging the headphones straight into the computer, either the front or back audioport (shouldnt matter that its wireless). if youre getting good sound then most likely its something with the video card since youve ruled out the hdmi cable and the tv itself.[/QUOTE]

Plugged the headphones right into the front of the computer, still getting the glitches.

I haven't changed the HDMI cable yet but would that be something that goes wrong all of the sudden?

if youre still getting the glitches with the headphones straight into the computer then its not the video card or cable.

youre going to have to figure out if its a hardware (motherboard at this point) or software. id start with making sure all drivers are up to date, maybe even uninstalling and reinstalling your sound drivers.

have you installed any major updates lately? maybe for your OS and/or drivers?

my macbook pro sound is glitchy too. I always have to wiggle the cord around sometimes the whole sound gets quiet. Other times only the background music is loud and what people are saying is quiet. It's a pain in the ass and I dunno what the problem is.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']if youre still getting the glitches with the headphones straight into the computer then its not the video card or cable.

youre going to have to figure out if its a hardware (motherboard at this point) or software. id start with making sure all drivers are up to date, maybe even uninstalling and reinstalling your sound drivers.

have you installed any major updates lately? maybe for your OS and/or drivers?[/QUOTE]

fuck

Can't think of any updates that I've installed lately besides the necessary ones from Windows update and my video card drivers. Checked my sound driver and it said I was up to date.

Guess I'll check HP and see if they have any updates for any of my motherboard...than I uninstall and reinstall my sound drivers.

Thanks for your help. I'll update with the results later.

I had a motherboard that had crackling sound with the onboard card. I ended up buying a USB external sound card for around $15-$20 from newegg which worked fine. So, that may be one option for you.

Downloaded a BIOS upgrade from HP for my motherboard...and it seems to be working fine now. Strange but at least I don't have to deal with the glitching anymore.

Thanks for the help everybody.

BIOS upgrade eh? seems like an odd solution... my upgrading the bios fixed something else. in any event at least its fixed.

The problem came back...but I think I found the cause.

uTorrent

The sound started glitching again, I close uTorrent (the process stuck for a little bit at which point, my sound turned into what sounded like a record running at a lower speed) and when it finally closed, the glitch noise went away. That would explain why upgrading my BIOS made it go away (I had to restart my computer and uTorrent doesn't automatically open)

Any idea why uTorrent would be causing that? I do have a large number of torrents loaded up to seed (over 400), could that be it?

bread's done
Back