Computer upgrade advice needed.

mediamixerj

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So , Fellow CAGs I need advice on what to improve on so I am able to play most of the newer games for the PC as right now my computer lags like no tomorrow...

Intel Pentium 4 Processor HT 2.6 GHZ
638 MBs RAM
I've got a 256 MB Geoforce FX 5200 series card.
And a new 250 GB harddrive.

What would your suggestions be for an good cheap (100 dollar range graphic card)? Etc

Get a core 2 duo or a 64x2, and then choose between these cards a geforce 8800gt, or a ati radeon hd3870 , should have at least 2gigs of ram.....the other things are optional......by the way take a procesor at least as fast as 2.5GHZ!

Eh unfortunately I don't have the money at this time to buy a new unit so I was hoping to continue on this one for a little while longer XD....
Thanks for the advice though. I'll consider going for a faster system.

Yes, look for 7600 GT and 8600 GT cards on newegg, plenty under $100. 7900 series were good too, but they're hard to find cheap. Stay away from 8400/8500 series.

Thanks guys I'll look into getting a better video card. I'm looking at getting the 7600 based on specs it looks good but I'll compare both and use one of those. Thanks for the good advice!

no such thing as an AGP Geforce 8 video card

I'm not sure if it's that much better, but you can consider the ATI Radeon 2600PRO

more recent video card

I'd say skip the upgrade itch right now and set aside a fund to upgrade your entire system. I think that if you only upgrade your video card right now, you won't be as happy as you think you'll be.

[quote name='spidey']I'd say skip the upgrade itch right now and set aside a fund to upgrade your entire system. I think that if you only upgrade your video card right now, you won't be as happy as you think you'll be.[/quote]

I disagree. The FX 5200 sucked even when it was new. It is a truly terrible video card that never should have been produced. Any modern card will give a huge boost in performance.

If you want to save $, stick with your current motherboard and Pentium 4 (but think about upgrading to a Core 2 Duo system)...

Cheapest:
* Get new video card (see suggestions by other posters)
* Get ram up to at least 1 GB or 2 GB if it fits your budget (ram is pretty cheap these days)

indeed the whole Geforce 5 Series was utter failure. Interestingly enough that's the first line of Cards from Nvidia with 3dfx's taint on them. Granted 3dfx was not always a bad company (a true pioneer in the field w/ the voodoo 2), however they aren't around for a reason.

Err anyway From your specs I'd highly suggest building a new system from scratch. Since one thing you upgrade will usually require another upgrade. From PCi Express to DDR2 to even your power supply needed.

I'd recommend setting aside around $800-$1000 and build a proper PC, not too expensive but not too cheap.

bread's done
Back