Conan O'Brien and Rockband

I love Conan. This whole Rock Band and Guitar Hero crap is really annoying. Im sick of watching people play it in every store I walk into, but if they were given real instruments they probably wouldnt know what the hell to do.

[quote name='karmapolice']I love Conan. This whole Rock Band and Guitar Hero crap is really annoying. Im sick of watching people play it in every store I walk into, but if they were given real instruments they probably wouldnt know what the hell to do.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the whole guitar thing. My newphews think they're the shit on guitar just 'cause they could play hard mode on GH/RB. But, if you're pretty good with the drums on RB, you can actually play real drums to a certain degree.

I should've started a writer's strike beard when they started, too. I heard Letterman's got a key to the city.

[quote name='aTOH']But, if you're pretty good with the drums on RB, you can actually play real drums to a certain degree.[/QUOTE]
You're joking... right? Please tell me you're joking.

[quote name='aTOH']I agree with the whole guitar thing. My newphews think they're the shit on guitar just 'cause they could play hard mode on GH/RB. But, if you're pretty good with the drums on RB, you can actually play real drums to a certain degree.[/quote]

Exactly. Im all for virtual entertainment and I love games like frequency, but when you take it to the level of guitar hero and rock band its kinda just sick. Most of the songs dont actually have much relevance to how they are really played... its just pushing buttons when it tells you to complete a song.

Im all for mixing art and entertainment, but when you sacrifice art you go to far.

[quote name='PyroGamer']You're joking... right? Please tell me you're joking.[/quote]
I think he just meant that it can give you a general idea of rhythm and how to use both hands and your foot at different times.

And the music snobbery begins!

Somewhere, on the NRA message board, some yokel is crying "I'm sick of all these gamers thinking they could shoot a real M4 Carbine because they can do it in COD4!"

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What's with him and Letterman growing beards? Makes them both look about 20 years older, especially Letterman.[/quote]

They are growing it out in support for their writers. It looks terrible on Conan.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']And the music snobbery begins!

Somewhere, on the NRA message board, some yokel is crying "I'm sick of all these gamers thinking they could shoot a real M4 Carbine because they can do it in COD4!"[/quote]

Well its kinda the same thing, except that videogames let us shoot guns because we dont want to actually kill people (hopefully). We shouldnt have to play videogames to play guitar.

[quote name='karmapolice']I love Conan. This whole Rock Band and Guitar Hero crap is really annoying. Im sick of watching people play it in every store I walk into, but if they were given real instruments they probably wouldnt know what the hell to do.[/QUOTE]

You are the first person in the entire world to post something like this.

[quote name='karmapolice']I think he just meant that it can give you a general idea of rhythm and how to use both hands and your foot at different times.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I meant. Guess I used "to a certain degree" wrong =/ You'd at least know what the hell to do with them.

Conan's sound in Sabotage made me cringe. Although, when I tried that song on the mic on New Years Eve, my voice cracked like a mutha.

[quote name='help1']They are growing it out in support for their writers. It looks terrible on Conan.[/QUOTE]

It looks AWESOME on Conan, fool.

[quote name='PyroGamer']You're joking... right? Please tell me you're joking.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Playing the drums on Expert is almost exactly the same as playing real drums. Yes, it's not %100 the same, but the fact remains that playing drums on RB will help you to learn to play drums in real life. Much more so than playing the guitar in GH / RB

[quote name='evanft']You are the first person in the entire world to post something like this.[/quote]

Really? I feel so special.

Nice sig btw... it really shows your love for being hardcore.....

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Not at all. Playing the drums on Expert is almost exactly the same as playing real drums. Yes, it's not %100 the same, but the fact remains that playing drums on RB will help you to learn to play drums in real life. Much more so than playing the guitar in GH / RB[/quote]

I can attest to this. I got Rock Band when it came out and all I played was the drums like ever. I can play basically most of the songs on expert and all of them on hard. I got a real drumset for xmas and it helped me with keeping rhythm and also really how to actually play the drums right. Sure it is much harder to get good at the real drums than Rock Band drums but it did help me enormously starting with the Rock Band drums. I mean on the real drums I can already play a few songs from some of the bands I listen to so at least I'm getting somewhere.

[quote name='karmapolice']We shouldnt have to play videogames to play guitar.[/quote]Some people just want to have fun, and don't want to buy a guitar, plus take hours and hours of lessons, in hopes that one day, they can play Smoke on the Water with their REAL guitar.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Some people just want to have fun, and don't want to buy a guitar, plus take hours and hours of lessons, in hopes that one day, they can play Smoke on the Water with their REAL guitar.[/quote]

Hahaha... really smoke on the water? I dont even play guitar and I can play that, and it took about 5 minutes.

What is this world coming to?

[quote name='karmapolice']Hahaha... really smoke on the water? I dont even play guitar and I can play that, and it took about 5 minutes.[/quote]

:bow: First person ever to not play a guitar but can play a song on a guitar.

Dun dun dun, dun dun da-dun, dun dun dun, dun dun.

Yeah. That was like the third or forth song I taught myself to play. When I was thirteen.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Not at all. Playing the drums on Expert is almost exactly the same as playing real drums.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

Then I was born a drum-master god.

Alright, seriously though, I'll conceed that I'm sure playing Rock Band for five minutes is decent practice for someone who's never touched a drum set in his life, and who has no interest in actually learning how to PLAY, as opposed to following little color-coded blips on a screen.

[quote name='Flyersfan']It looks AWESOME on Conan, fool.[/quote] Seconded. Conan doesn't look as scrawny now (and Conan is always Awesome in general).

Stop being a douche. I'm a real musician, and I can see the fun in GH and RB. Especially for people that have never played instruments before. They're even a ton of fun for me, and I can actually play most of the songs.

[quote name='pcgamer58']I can attest to this. I got Rock Band when it came out and all I played was the drums like ever. I can play basically most of the songs on expert and all of them on hard. I got a real drumset for xmas and it helped me with keeping rhythm and also really how to actually play the drums right. Sure it is much harder to get good at the real drums than Rock Band drums but it did help me enormously starting with the Rock Band drums. I mean on the real drums I can already play a few songs from some of the bands I listen to so at least I'm getting somewhere.[/quote]

I recall the Gamespot review stating that you can learn a 4/4 beat playing the highest difficulty level in Rockband.

[quote name='karmapolice']Well its kinda the same thing, except that videogames let us shoot guns because we dont want to actually kill people (hopefully). We shouldnt have to play videogames to play guitar.[/quote]

You're a snob. Enjoy being so alone that you can't enjoy a game like rock band.

You can get some decent fundamentals down by playing Rock Band drums (you have to learn how to keep a rhythm, which most people can't do naturally.) The patterns on expert are not that far off from the patterns you would play on a set. it's just missing a high hat, a variety of crashes, and real bounce from real drum heads. Also, since they're rock songs, there isn't a wide variety of beats and rhythms. Afro beat Band, Funk Band, or Jazz Band would be much better games :D

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']And the music snobbery begins!

Somewhere, on the NRA message board, some yokel is crying "I'm sick of all these gamers thinking they could shoot a real M4 Carbine because they can do it in COD4!"[/quote]

Not entirely true....its just nice to know that I've shot most of the weapons in the game. Now I'm not saying, oh you guys think you can shoot the weapons, I'm thinking more "oh this game did a pretty good job giving that feel of really shooting the weapon".
It is all about making you feel like you are really doing it, but when you cross that line thinking that you really can do it just cause you can do it in a video game, well then you've lost it...

I hate to interrupt your fight but...

That Conan thing was hilarious. It's nice to see him rocking a Fender as well. Judging from what I've seen in the past, he's a rather decent guitar player actually.

Back to the argument at hand...

I bought a stratocaster years ago and never really learned to play proficiently. For some reason, and maybe it was because of Rock Band, I actually picked my guitar back up and have been playing a little and learning a lot more. I'd much rather dick around on my guitar than play any music game now. If Rock Band or Guitar Hero inspire any person to pick up a real axe or maybe buy a drum kit, well... that's awesome.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Stop being a douche. I'm a real musician, and I can see the fun in GH and RB. Especially for people that have never played instruments before. They're even a ton of fun for me, and I can actually play most of the songs.[/QUOTE]

Meh I'd take most LICENSED songs off NeoDrumX 2nd Mix then RB. THAT songlist is the shit, American AND Korean songs. "Oh My Julia!" by Country Kko Kko on drums?! Yes please! It's just too bad Drummania is the ONLY good home music game in terms of drums, same with "Guitar Freak" for guitars, etc.
Rydia you should know better. ;)

[quote name='Sarang01']Meh I'd take most LICENSED songs off NeoDrumX 2nd Mix then RB.[/QUOTE]
Judging from the sales of RockBand, you're the only one.
For the most part, Korean/Japanese music brings out the Van Gogh in me.

Also contributing to the drum argument:
Yes, it does teach you on expert to play along with most of those songs. I'm not saying you could get on a drum set and jam out after just playing Rock Band on expert, but the layout of the drums is similar enough to a real set that you could easily play along to the songs you learned from the game. I own Rock Band and I have a neighbor who owns a drum set and is profecient on Guitar...we play the game for a bit and then generally end up at his house - him playing the songs from the game on guitar while I jam along with what I remember of the drum beat.

And yes, I am a fairly involved musician. Music classes make up the majority of my curriculum.

On the other hand, playing Rock Band guitar / Guitar Hero will get you nowhere playing an actual guitar, aside from inspiring you to learn.

[quote name='Sarang01']It's just too bad Drummania is the ONLY good home music game in terms of drums, same with "Guitar Freak" for guitars, etc.
[/QUOTE]

wat

[quote name='Sarang01']It's just too bad Drummania is the ONLY good home music game in terms of drums, same with "Guitar Freak" for guitars, etc.
Rydia you should know better. ;)[/QUOTE]

donkey.jpg

bread's done
Back