Condition of used DVDs from fye.com?

Querjek

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
Hey all,

There are some used DVDs that I want to buy from FYE.com because they're having a B2G1 sale. However, I am concerned that there will be stickers all over the boxes or something like that. Does anyone have any experience ordering used DVDs from FYE.com?

All of my used purchases (CDs included) have all been mint covers and discs. The only stickers they put on are those neon "used" red stickers outside on the case. Some of them were even shrinkwrapped. No complaints here.

One word of caution--I once bought from their B2G1 sale and they shipped the 2 I paid for and said the free one was out of stock, but didn't refund or let me choose something else--had to dispute with credit card.

95% of the time they'll be minty fresh. I never think twice about ordering, not even multi-disc sets or kids shows (got TMNT vol.5 used, it wasn't perfect, but pretty close).

I've heard rumors that they restore all of their DVDs to factory fresh with magic penes polish.

I haven't had any issues with used dvds from the site (customer service is another story). If I have any scratches, they are few and very very very minor.

Only thing I would watch out for is tv shows. I bought season 2 of X-Files from FYE.com and they put their bright orange used sticker on the box/case itself.

I haven't ever bought used from the site but I've bought plenty of times in store and the discs are always in perfect condition. Also, it seems the stickers are on the shrinkwrap, I don't recall them being on the boxes.

[quote name='ROHPete1']I haven't ever bought used from the site but I've bought plenty of times in store and the discs are always in perfect condition. Also, it seems the stickers are on the shrinkwrap, I don't recall them being on the boxes.[/QUOTE]

+1

I have to chime in here.

This thread makes it seem like FYE.com's used DVDs is on par with brand new/like new ones or very close. This is simply not the case.

FYE.com used inventory comes from the same warehouse as that of secondspin.com and wherehouse.com.

I have purchased a select handful through each avenue including local brick and mortar FYE stores, and I can say the discs are not exactly pristine. They are used for a reason because they look used. Yes, a certain percentage of their "used" certainly look great to near excellent, but you will frequent many that are truly "used".

It depends on the lighting condition used to examine discs as well. Under direct or indirect sunlight, the disc may seem "near perfect." Examine the same disc under a well lit room, and you may come to find the disc isn't exactly as "near perfect" as you may have initially thought. Examine the same disc under a dim lit room, slowly tilt it in various directions, and you may find some real faint scratches. Examine the same disc under a lamp, and scratches may be prevalent.

PS. After receiving a DVD in scratched condition, I called customer service to see if they would be willing to resurface the disc if I sent it back. Their response was something along the lines of "unfortunately we don't do that" or "we don't resurface the discs." But they did agree to send out another used one if they had it in stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='strawberryshortcake']FYE.com used inventory comes from the same warehouse as that of secondspin.com and wherehouse.com. Like you said, same warehouse/inventory. This is a good thing.
[/quote]

I actually took this fact for granted. I've never technically ordered from the true FYE.com website, just Secondspin and Wherehouse. (and buy from FYE B&M).

I've had more scratching on the B&M discs I've purchase than from online (SS&WH). Almost every disc I've ever bought used from Transworld online has been near mint, both the discs and the box/packaging. My first order from them was Hellboy 3-disc director's cut (~$3 shipped). To this day, I honestly think they opened a new copy, slapped an easy-to-peel-off orange used sticker on it, and shipped it to me.

bread's done
Back