Confirmed: Merry Christmas from Microsoft, 360 Warranty extended to 1 year

CAG 79

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134888

ms1year15f7d52fp0.jpg

I hope this turns out to be true since I never got around to buying a warranty.

EDIT: Confirmed!

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2006/1222-xbox360warrantyextended.htm

BTW how is GS going to react? They were going to have a deal after Christmas for a free 1 year warranty when you buy a 360.

So what if I have the 2 year extended from Microsoft. Is the new 1 year going to eat into my 2 year warranty or extend my total length of warranty?

[quote name='Puzznic']So what if I have the 2 year extended from Microsoft. Is the new 1 year going to eat into my 2 year warranty or extend my total length of warranty?[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was wondering, I want mine extended!

Whoa, whoa, hold the phones.. so this means my system would still be under warranty if this is true?

I got it back in August but never got around to buying one.. and the 90 day warranty of course ran out before I started having problems. This would be one hell of a life-saver for me now that my system is having trouble.

Well, I just bought a new one but I still have my old busted one. Thank God if this is true! That'll mean I should be able to sell my broken one for around $300 once it's repaired. Seriously, this is some great, great, great news.

Well, what are they gonna do for me. I better get that year added or get a free game out of this. They really don't have a game to offer me btw.

I gots a question:

Ok, I got my Xbox 360 in Sept. I never got a warranty.

Now just say my Xbox died today and it has been over 3 months, how would M$ know?

Same for this 1 year Warranty: What happens if my 360 dies 12/12/07?

How would M$ know how long I had it?

Don't fuck with my emotions, man. My box is like four months old and i'm needing a repair.

DON'T fuck WITH MY EMOTIONS, CAG 79!

Confirm this, stat!!!

//edit: I'm fuckin flipping the fuck out someone fucking confirm this fucking fuck holy fuck right now! I need a repair and i'm dying not having a 360 and I don't want to spent $180 or $140 and ahhhhh confirm this!!

if this pans out, the victory dance i do will make the n64 kid look like.. uh.. someone/something that doesn't look very good

Another thing I'm concerned about.. don't they need proof of when we purchased the system? I absolutely can't find my receipt anywhere and fear it may of gotten thrown out after all this time..

I've got the box, the bag it came in, everything but the receipt.. am I fucked here?

[quote name='AlienLX']Another thing I'm concerned about.. don't they need proof of when we purchased the system? I absolutely can't find my receipt anywhere and fear it may of gotten thrown out after all this time..

I've got the box, the bag it came in, everything but the receipt.. am I fucked here?[/quote]

go talk to the place you got it from

Another way for them to find out is if your registered Xbox360. They should have it on file. I believe one way to know is that they send you an extend your xbox 360 letter near the 90 day mark. I think you register you Xbox 360 anytime you make an online account, and if the manufacture date is off ,like say a year, I think they will want proof like a receipt.

IF this is True. Damn I just paid for my 2 years but nice move MS. The Class Action Suit may be winning ?

So if you buy the console and dont register and then it suddenly breaks, how would they know that you didnt just buy it?

I could just not register my system and have that one year warranty for a while or unitll it breaks down......

[quote name='JokerCard']So if you buy the console and dont register and then it suddenly breaks, how would they know that you didnt just buy it?
[/QUOTE]

They wouldn't. The one thing they do to keep people from just signing up for the 2 year warranty when their xbox breaks is an extremely slow turn around time on the warranty papers.

I hope this means I have 3 years of coverage, that would make me a happy man.

I no longer have the receipt for my first one and never registered it but I'm pretty sure they should honor the new warranty since it hasn't even been a year since it's manufacturing date.

[quote name='rickonker']BTW how is GS going to react? They were going to have a deal after Christmas for a free 1 year warranty when you buy a 360.[/QUOTE]

Wondering the same thing. I hope this gets some confirmation soon, since TRU has the free 100$ giftcard until the 24th. If this rumor turns out to be true then that deal blows away the GS deal.

[quote name='rickonker']BTW how is GS going to react? They were going to have a deal after Christmas for a free 1 year warranty when you buy a 360.[/quote]

They'll probably still "offer" the "free" service. Alot of people aren't going to know anyways.

[quote name='rickonker']BTW how is GS going to react? They were going to have a deal after Christmas for a free 1 year warranty when you buy a 360.[/quote]

The GS/EB warranty trumps the MS one anyway. Walk in exchange for new is way better than paying $20 to ship it off to MS for who knows how long.

I purchased my 360 in March without the extended warranty and it died after the fall update. They would not give me a free repair and I ended up paying for the repair. Afterwards, I filed a BBB complaint asking for a refund. Someone from Xbox support called me yesterday saying that they could not refund my repair charges because it was out of warranty. It's funny that they extend the warranty the day after I was told I wouldn't be getting a refund. I better get my refund now.

I just returned my 360 a few days ago at best buy (had warranty). I could of save the $50 for the warranty. Any suggestions?

That is great news. I'm really looking forward to get my $140 back. My console was out of warranty for only 2 months when it died of the 3 red lights plague.

But I will wait for the check before I light the fireworks.

[quote name='slickkill77']So basically if you bought it last January or November for that matter your out of luck....[/quote]

Actually technically no. I say this because you also must remember that all '05 systems are under an extended warranty. So, to answer your question, early January systems may be covered, and the November ones are definetely covered.

Thats amazing. And a really smart move for Microsoft. Hopefully the added volume of 360s will still allow for relatively quick back and forth.

I mean, now that we all have a free year (give or take). I'm going to send mine in at the slightest hint of a problem. A couple of Gears DREs? Hello new Xbox!

Question, since I've never dealt with Microsoft and their warranty service. Do you just call them up and they send you a box? You don't have to pay to ship it out if it's under the warranty, do you?

Quick question, I bought my 360 a few weeks ago and got a free 1 year gamestop warranty with it. I plan on cashing in on that warranty before it runs up to take advantage of any improvements, when gamestop gives me my new 360, will there be a year warranty on it from microsoft? Or is this limited to consoles that have already been produced?

AlienLX

They way the extended on is put, (The one you pay for for) says that MS would pay for the shipping and anything else that is needed for it to get fix. Its my guess that if you have to get it repaired, you are going to have to pay for shipping if you do not pay for the warranty. The nice thing about the one you pay for is that it covers your controller.

With the shipping, the cs didn't think they need to send you a box or anything and you need to pay for it but the contract Says that any expediences are MS to deal with. I had to point it out 5 times before they would send a box and they f that up. The CS seems to have improve since then so it maybe be different. (note that this happen about 3 months ago)

TekkenLaw
I believe this is going to replace the old 90days warranty so I think every console brought from now on, will have a 1 year warranty.

Heres a question for you guys. I just extended my Gamestop warranty for another year in November. If my system dies, can I send it to Microsoft, and get the remainder of my warranty transfered over to the 360 I have covered at GS?

I have a question...

What if I got my Xbox 360 on ebay over the summer (around mid August) and all I did was sign up for Xbox Live. Is my system covered for 1 year or 90 days which is over now?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I have a question...

What if I got my Xbox 360 on ebay over the summer (around mid August) and all I did was sign up for Xbox Live. Is my system covered for 1 year or 90 days which is over now?[/quote]

I'd say look at the manufacture date on the bottom and your warranty is now 1 yr from then. That's my opinion cuz I'm guessing thats what MS would tell you.

Now, it makes me wonder if the 2-year MS extended warranty kicks it out to 3 years, since it did make the old 90 day warranty into 2 years + 90 days.

I'd guess it should, and it would make the $60 spent on it seem much better than the $50 on a PRP from BB, since that PRP only kicks it out for another year, instead of 1.75 years additional.

bread's done
Back