Connect 360 to PC Monitor - Audio Through PC Speakers/3.5mm Headset?

DrowVampyre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
First off, sorry if this has been asked a ton...I did a search and didn't see it, but my search-fu may have failed me.

Ok, so, I know I'm late to the party, but I'm looking at getting my first 360. I have a TV, of course, but it's an old tube TV, non HD and all. But I have a nice monitor for my PC, which would let me play in 1080p with the HDMI cable. One problem...no built in speakers.

So how would I go about connecting my PC speakers (Logitech S220, so no optical audio, just green plug type) to the system? Additionally, I have a Sennheiser PC151 headset which I like a lot, but it's 3.5mm connection, not 2.5 - what all would I need to use that for both sound and chat in Xbox Live? I found a Steelseries converter , but it talks about plugging it into the headphone jack on the TV...which I obviously wouldn't have if the system is plugged into my computer monitor...

You should use one of these (not the only place you can find them), which gets you RCA L + R outputs:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083005&p_id=7526&seq=1&format=2

You'd also need one of these (coverts RCA L + R female jacks to a single 3.5mm stereo jack):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7198&seq=1&format=2

The first item connects to the 360 AV port and gives you two RCA female jacks, L + R, for stereo audio. The second item converts those RCA female jacks to a single 3.5mm stereo female jack to connect your headphones or speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']You should use one of these (not the only place you can find them), which gets you RCA L + R outputs:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10830&cs_id=1083005&p_id=7526&seq=1&format=2

You'd also need one of these (coverts RCA L + R female jacks to a single 3.5mm stereo jack):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7198&seq=1&format=2

The first item connects to the 360 AV port and gives you two RCA female jacks, L + R, for stereo audio. The second item converts those RCA female jacks to a single 3.5mm stereo female jack to connect your headphones or speakers.[/QUOTE]

Hey Shrike,

What are your thoughts on Monoprice now? I had my credit info stolen from their site which was thankfully caught by my bank. Then 2 months later they said there was a breach. I haven't ordered from them since.

(Sorry for the hijack)

Mic should plug into your controller as usual. If you want mic/headset/game audio in one output you might consider one of the gaming headsets that are available.

I've never had that kind of problem with monoprice, but while I've had great luck with their HDMI cables, Wii component cables and some other stuff (including remanufactured toner for my color laser printer), their Xbox 360 VGA cable sucks big time. I had to buy the official Microsoft VGA cable to get good results. So, they aren't perfect. Some stuff is good, some stuff not so much.

[quote name='DV8']Hey Shrike,

What are your thoughts on Monoprice now? I had my credit info stolen from their site which was thankfully caught by my bank. Then 2 months later they said there was a breach. I haven't ordered from them since.

(Sorry for the hijack)[/QUOTE]I had the same issue and with just using a virtual CC # for any purchases made from them, I've continued to order with them without any issue.

[quote name='crunchewy']I've never had that kind of problem with monoprice, but while I've had great luck with their HDMI cables, Wii component cables and some other stuff (including remanufactured toner for my color laser printer), their Xbox 360 VGA cable sucks big time. I had to buy the official Microsoft VGA cable to get good results. So, they aren't perfect. Some stuff is good, some stuff not so much.[/QUOTE]I've purchased the following from them without any issue:
HDMI cables
Ethernet cables
Component (non-console / "generic") cables
USB extension cables
VGA cables
3.5mm audio cables

Their console-specific cables tend to be a mixed-bag, yes.

Ok, What I did was this,

Got a Xbox 360 VGA HD/AV Cable by Microsoft,you can buy these any where, like gamestop. Then get a TrendNet 2-Port USB KVM Switch at radio shack, keep in mind that that swich can be more then 2 ports of vga. Like if I want 2 computers and a xbox hooked up you get a 4 post (The other port would be empty) and then on the side plug in the computers vga cord.
Now you got all your parts right? So now plug all the VGA cords in the KVM swich box. Then the the wire to plug in the back of the xbox into the xbox (Lol) then you sould see a green wire now you could buy a audio converter, for example it has 2 audio wholes, then plug in speakers and headphones in there and plug that into the green plug. Then you can play/use your computer and play on the Xbox 360 by clicking 1 swich button. Keep in mind that the KVM box is $30-$45 and the AV-HD to vga wire is $40.

Happy gameing, Jimmy1054

bread's done
Back