Connecting a laptop to an HDTV via HDMI - Resolution too big

Tsel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
328 (100%)
Alright so I'm trying to hook up my laptop to my TV via HDMI and I've done it before no problems, but now every time I do it, the display is too big on the TV's end. I can't see the taskbar or the top of the screen.

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this out. I can get you the specs of the laptop if need be.

Either you have to adjust the resolution on the laptop itself, or the TV isn't set for the native resolution of the laptop. See if either of these are the problem.

I've tried almost all things related to the resolution. I've been Googling things for the past couple of hours. Everything I find tells me things related to ATI or Nvidia graphics, but I have Intel graphics.

Check the display properties on the computer. You want to click "Graphics Properties" and not just regular "Properties". Make sure the resolution is 1360x768 or above. Also make sure there is a checkbox in regards to "Maintain Aspect Ratio" or "Fit To Window".

[quote name='davo1224']Check the display properties on the computer. You want to click "Graphics Properties" and not just regular "Properties". Make sure the resolution is 1360x768 or above. Also make sure there is a checkbox in regards to "Maintain Aspect Ratio" or "Fit To Window".[/QUOTE]
Did that. I've tried almost everything that Google gave me to no avail.
[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']You can look to see if there is a driver update for your graphics that would support the resolution of the TV.[/QUOTE]

I checked that as well, but no luck.

[quote name='elessar123']Change your desktop resolution to 1920x1080 or 1280x720. Make sure your TV isn't zooming/stretching either.[/QUOTE]

It's a laptop, so the resolution only goes up to 1366x788. I've checked on the TV and I can't find any options for that.

Are you trying to watch video files from a computer on a TV? There are better and easier way to do it.

[quote name='62t']Are you trying to watch video files from a computer on a TV? There are better and easier way to do it.[/QUOTE]

At the time I was, but I'd also just like to be able to have connectivity in case I wanted to use my TV as a bigger screen.

[quote name='Tsel']It's a laptop, so the resolution only goes up to 1366x788. I've checked on the TV and I can't find any options for that.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's true the laptop screen will go up to 1366 x 788, but when you have an HDMI connected it might be possible for the laptop graphics card to push up further for HD monitors.

Most TVs don't have proper drivers like a normal monitor would (which Windows detects/updates.)

Most, not all video cards have a suite of software. For ATI it's a red icon, Catalyst Control Center. Geforce, green. Intel, a blue icon called Intel HD Graphics.

Sometimes you have to adjust the resolution, or aspect ratio, or stretch there. For example, my Samsung will go about 1" off the screen. I have to slowly adjust the slider so that it fits fully onto my TV.

bread's done
Back