Considering getting Disney Infinity

AngryDragon888

CAGiversary!
I am considering getting Disney Infinity and was looking for some insight from anyone who has it. I have a 12 year old daughter and a 4 year old daughter. I am mainly considering it to play with them, I don't really have much interest in playing it by myself.

Can anyone with kids that play or they play with advise what ages?
I'm sure my 12 year old would like it, but I was wondering if there is anything simple enough for my 4 year old. She plays games on tablets and phones all the time and she is super into Disney. I think she would think it is neat to see/play the Disney characters...but not sure if she still too young to be able to do anything in this game.

Also, I am trying to wrap my head around the layout of this game....I never played skylanders. I know you have the game itself and then buy additional characters. Do the characters add more to the game....or are they just playable and don't really add anything new? I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the layout as from what I have read, it is somewhat confusing to me.

Thanks in advance to anyone with any input.

My daughter plays it, she's 10.  But my son enjoys it the most.  My advice is get either the 3.0 set, because 3.0 set can use ANY figure, thus less confusion....or......get the 2.0 set that comes with Merida and Stitch.  That is probably the best entry point for a younger gamer as it is only the toybox.  The Toybox is for creating your own worlds, using any (edition specific or previous edition) figure.  The only problem with 2.0 is A) you can't use the 3.0 figures like the Inside Out cast or Star Wars and B) it won't come with any Marvel or Star Wars, etc. playsets which, honestly, can be pretty fun even for us parent gamers. 

On second thought, if money isn't the issue because 2.0 would be cheaper, I'd go with 3.0, get the Inside Out playset and all three of you will have fun.  It also comes with the toybox, which will be the easiest for your 4 year old to play. 

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm pretty hardcore about DI collecting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, appreciate the info. You mention your son enjoys it the most. How old is he if you don't mind me asking.

So from what I gather, there are two different game modes. The toy box where any character can play in (and it seems like there are expansions to that) and content you get from "play sets". So let's say I took your advice and bought some variation of Star Wars 3.0 and an Inside Out play set. Each play set is like its own game? So I would have a Star Wars campaign and an inside out campaign. I guess we could only mix the characters together in toy box mode.

My kids are 4 (G), 7 (B) and 10 (G).  They all play, but mostly it's my son that plays with my older daughter.  My little one will jump in from time to time and just run around.  However, of my three kids, she has the least of a gamer gene, it seems. 

Yes, you have your understanding of how it all works correct.  Toybox = built in and you can use any character to jump around, shoot stuff and create.  It's minecraft-ish in a way.  There are also some built in challenges in the toybox hub that are fun minigames.  Playsets = dedicated themed experiences.  The Inside Out playset is actually pretty fun. 

Note: other than the figures, you can't use old 1.0 or 2.0 playsets or powerdiscs with 3.0. 

Hope that helps, if you have questions....keep them coming! :wave:

Ok, so what does buying a character bring to the game? So let's go off the premise again that I buy the Star Wars starter pack and then at a later point buy a Kylo Ren figure. Is he only playable in the toy box? Or is he playable as well in Star Wars play sets or add some content to them?

In that scenario, Kylo Ren would be playable in the toy box, the Force Awakens playset AND any Star Wars playset once you find the character token in that playset (not terribly hard to do).  The only other content or notable to add is that whenever you add a figure, it lights up in the hall of heroes, which is a neat feature. 

Cool, appreciate all the information.

I ended up taking your advice and getting the Star Wars 3.0 starter pack and the Inside Out set. Was able to get the starter pack for $45 and the Inside Out set for $25. I think those were both at Target (not sure, my wife was the one that picked them up). I might pick a few more figures if I see any deals on them between now and Xmas.

Anyway, thanks again. Maybe I will have more questions for you after Xmas when we start playing them. ;)

bread's done
Back