Considering Purchasing an Xbox One

EthanDung

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, lurker here. 

I've been contemplating whether or not to get an Xbox One. I already have a PS4 and Wii U, and with the Titanfall bundle being released, I thought that it may be a good time to get in.

I'm able to get one at GameStop for about $250 after trading in all my old games, but is it really worth it?

Most of the games I want to play are going to be on the PS4 anyway except maybe Halo and Gears, and I'm not sure if this would just be an impulse buy. Any feedback would be great! Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Truthfully I would wait. You have more than enough to keep you busy. It's less than six months after launch and they're already including their top game for free. I bought mine at launch and sold it last month with two games and an extra controller for $500, which was truthfully the best offer that came my way. At the very least I would wait until the updates that address the party system have come out.

EDIT: Truthfully

Sounds like an impulse buy if you ask me if you're second guessing yourself. If you have enough to knock out half the price of an Xbox One (at Gamestop!) then you must have a lot to trade in. The longer you wait to upgrade the cheaper it'll be and the more games will be available.

Here are a couple questions...1. Have you beat every game you're trading in or are you just trading up to stay with the latest and greatest consoles? 2. Do you want to play games that are ALREADY available on the XB1 enough to make this trade and spend the cash as well?

Those are things I'd ask myself if I were in your shoes...In reality I still have 40-50 games to play on the 360 so I'm not even close to thinking about buying one. My realistic target date to buy the One is Black Friday 2015. By then I should be picking up games really cheap.

If you're interested in Titanfall, absolutely get it. Having played the game, it only confirmed my decision to get an Xbox One right away so I could play it.

However, if you're not interested in it and are only interested in Halo or Gears of War, I'd wait until a Halo game releases later this year, as I'm pretty sure there will be a price drop by then.

I love my Xbox One. Run my tv through it and use it all the time. I haven't regretted it for one minute

Also. I wasn't really all that interested in Titanfall, the beta was one of the most fun games I've ever played.

@kdiddy1989 

I've played through all the games I'm going to be trading in, and honestly, I'd only be interested in trying out Ryse, and playing PvZ, Titanfall and Dead Rising at the moment.

It's also more than likely that Titanfall 2 would go multiplatform as EA are moneywhores, but I guess I would have my hands full with Infamous and Ground Zeroes

If most of the games you're going to be playing you'll get for PS4 you might just want to wait.

Don't get me wrong I love my Xbox One and I'm glad I got it, but PS4 will likely have the superior multiplatform games for the rest of the gen, so it would come to first party games.

While I have to say Ryse, and Dead Rising 3 are incredibly fun and Titanfall will be  blast in itself, the games you mentioned (Halo and Gears) likely won't be coming for some time.

It's also more than likely that Titanfall 2 would go multiplatform as EA are moneywhores, but I guess I would have my hands full with Infamous and Ground Zeroes
Maybe. Everyone said that Titanfall would be exclusive to Microsoft for only 6 months or a year initially, too, and we all know how that went. People sometimes forget just how deep Microsoft's pockets are, and if Titanfall ends up being the system seller they think it will be, I can certainly see them forking over quite a large sum of money to keep the next one exclusive, too.

Like I said, if you want to play Titanfall, I doubt you'll find a much better deal than the $475 from the Microsoft Store for quite awhile. However, if all you're interested in is Halo and Gears, you might as well wait until one of them releases.

If you already own a PS4 then I see no reason to get an X1.  Exclusives are a tiny amount of games compared to the amount on both systems.  If you really want both wait a few years and pick it up cheaper to play the few exclusives.

Yeah, impulse buys tend to be regretted.  You shouldn't have to talk yourself into a purchase, much less ask others about it, if it's something you truly want.

I impulse bought a Wii U in the fall,and while I enjoy it, I mildly regret it as there aren't that many games that interest me on it, and I'm drowning in stuff on PS3, Vita and 3DS anyway.

Personally, I don't think either next gen console is worth owning right now unless you're a diehard who already blew through all the last gen games you wanted to play.  With the backlog I have, and lack of personal must plays on next gen hardware, I probably won't grab one until 2015.

Just my two cents, the X1 to me is amazing. Forza, Ryse, and Dead Rising are incredibly fun. Ryse offers little replay value if you don't care to much about being a completionist, but the story is amazing and it is the best looking game I've every played. Dead Rising is, if nothing else, the most mindless fun you can ever have. Killing a thousand zombies in about a minute doesn't get old and the story is pretty good. Forza just looks amazing, but it might not be your cup of tea unless you're into racing games.

If you're not interested in those games or the other features the X1 delivers such as watching TV through it, the rich app content, and the voice functionality, I'd definitely say wait until more games come out. 500 bucks is quite steep just to play one game.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm still on the fence. For me, Ryse seems like a preowned GameStop purchase and return it for a full refund in 7 days kind of game. For games that are currently out, I am interested in playing PvZ Garden Warfare, Dead Rising 3, Peggle 2, and of course Titanfall, and honestly, that's a lot more than what I have on PS4 currently. (I've basically been playing Ghosts the whole time) 

On the horizon for PS4, in the near future at least, all I see is Infamous Second Son, and MGS V Ground Zeroes. 

An X1 does seem kind of enticing for $250ish for those games alone

You do know titanfall is on 360 too right? Why pay 500 bucks just to play a game that is out on a console you own, has a larger install base, and will play the same and prolly look the same (really funny how they havent shown any footage or pics of the 360 version, I think its due to the graphics being really close to the xbone version...)? 

The way the ps4 is selling compared to the xbone, its only a matter of time before a price cut and or a kinectless sku (im waiting on the latter)

You do know titanfall is on 360 too right? Why pay 500 bucks just to play a game that is out on a console you own, has a larger install base, and will play the same and prolly look the same (really funny how they havent shown any footage or pics of the 360 version, I think its due to the graphics being really close to the xbone version...)?

The way the ps4 is selling compared to the xbone, its only a matter of time before a price cut and or a kinectless sku (im waiting on the latter)
I sure do know what platforms Titanfall will be releasing on haha. Unfortunately, my 360 broke and I sold it off on Ebay, which is also why I'm selling all my old 360 games, as I've completed them all. The 360 version got passed along to another studio as well, so I'm not sure how I feel about that either.

I really want to get a PS4, but not until a new God of War is announced and to be honest I don't think it will happen anytime soon, if at all. You said you only play ghosts on PS4, you should really try out battlefield 4 since its been patched up. Trade in the old games for 250, you might get more. Gamestop is having some good trade in values for old games right now. I would trade in the PS4 to be honest with you at  Gamestop. You can get 397 dollars in store credit when you trade towards a xbox one, PS4 or a wii u. I traded my xbox one to get the titanfall bundle and I didn't have to pay a dime of real money for it. 650 dollars in credit can get you what you want and the games you wanted.

If you really want titanfall, get the bundle. I played the alpha and beta of it and it was a great experience. I haven't had that much fun playing online since I used to play Halo 3 with my friends in high school. I hate cod after MW2 and one of the guys behind titanfall was key in the making of MW 1 and 2. I highly recommend Batllefield 4 now that it is almost patched up. Its a blast to play 32 vs 32. Ryse is a very underrated game, a lot of people like to hate on it, but it was a lot of fun as well. Reminds of a Roman God of War without the magic powers. I can't speak on the other games you wanted to play, but I have heard good things about all of them. Ground zeroes might be better on the PS4, but things like that will be much closer down the road. The new wolfenstein game has already been confirmed 1080p and 60 frames a second on both consoles and more multi platform games will be like this later on. The PS3 went through the same thing when it first came out and history is repeating itself. It only matters I guess if you care about that stuff. While I love great graphics, gameplay is more important to me than what a game looks like.

While Gears is a way off, a Halo game is coming this year. It might be Halo 2 anniversary or Halo 5. My money is on Halo 2 and let Halo 5 cook for another year. I never got to play Halo 2 on xbox live when it was big, always played system link with all of my football friends. It was so epic playing on two tvs on all those great maps. Don't expect a kinectless sku, Kinect is too much involved in the console to get rid of.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I felt I need to say something to help you make a decision. Good luck.

Probably be waiting forever.

I thought titanfall on Xbox 360 was going to be 3 vs 3 and Xbox One 6 vs 6. If that is so I would say the game will not play the same.

Microsoft must keep including the Kinect. Removing it will make the add on useless for everyone that has already purchased it. The odds are better that they will drop the price of the system to $450 with titanfall included. But I expect they will sell enough systems at $499 with titan fall for at least 2 to 4 months.

bread's done
Back