Contact Lenses

bigpimpin24

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Just got back from getting an eye exam. I am nearsighted and was wanting to get contacts since I've never had the need for glasses and don't really like the idea of putting on and taking off glasses when needed. So I figured I would get some contacts to wear and be done with it.

I asked for some soft 1 month disposables since the soft seemed to be more comfortable according to the doctor. She then brings out a pair and starts showing me how to put them on and what not. I spend about 30 minutes trying and I can't fucking get the things on for the life of me! I ended up picking out a pair of glasses for the hell of it and she said I can come back another time to try the contacts.

I ended up paying extra for the exam since I specified I wanted Contacts. Any tips for when I go in again to try and get those things on? She sat there and showed me how she put hers on and took them off but my eye just kept blinking or the contact kept folding. It was frustrating as hell and I just gave up since I didn't wanna spend the whole day there -_-

Practice. I made the switch about three years ago and looked like a moron trying to put them in for like a week. You'll eventually get the hang of it...also, not having someone standing over your shoulder watching you helps...

Yep. My first time wearing contacts it took me quite a while to put them on. Now it just takes me one attempt. Practice practice practice.

Your instinct is to not let anything into your eye so training yourself out of that us very tough. I had a helll of a time when I first got contacts about 12-13 years ago but now I can pop them in and out with no problem. Its tough to get through the first couple times but eventually it gets so easy you won't even need a mirror to get them in.

It takes time to get used to sticking your fingers in/near your eye. I've been wearing contacts for about 15 years now and you just get used to dealing with it.

I'll add to practice that you should try and get used to being able to touch you eyeball (gently, and wash your hands first).

Also use a finger to pull your lower eyelid down, but don't try and do both, it just gets complicated. Use a mirror and when you're putting the lense in try and look forward, not down.

I've always figured that wearing contacts increases the chances of an eye infection, simply because you're touching the eye.

It takes a while to do it. Dont let your first attempt get you down. With practice, you will definately get better.

As for how I do it, for example, if I am putting my left contact in, I put the contact on my left pointer finger. Using my left middle finger i put my eyelid down and use my right hand to lift my upper eyelid up. Then I put it in.

Sometimes looking up will help, then once you feel it in, move your eye down to look straight. Keep your finger on the contact and it will guide the contact to the middle part of your eye when you lower it.

Maan, I felt like such a fucking child in there! LOL It was horrible! She popped them in and out like three times while I watched carefully and I couldn't do it! The contact kept sticking to my finger and bending. I only managed to get it on my eye like twice, and even then I couldn't get it on my pupil. The times I actually managed to get it off my finger, I didn't even realize it. Those things are nuts!

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Maan, I felt like such a fucking child in there! LOL It was horrible! She popped them in and out like three times while I watched carefully and I couldn't do it! The contact kept sticking to my finger and bending. I only managed to get it on my eye like twice, and even then I couldn't get it on my pupil. The times I actually managed to get it off my finger, I didn't even realize it. Those things are nuts![/QUOTE]

Try putting the contact on the middle finger of the eye its going in (right eye, right middle finger). Use your right ring finger to pull your bottom eyelid down. Use your left hand to pull your top eyelid up. Then, GENTLY press the contact to your eye. If you press too hard, the contact sticks to your finger or even bends inside-out to it.

I barely press, and the lens seems to do most of the work - almost like a suction. When you do get them in, blink blink blink. You'll be blinking much much more often until your body gets used to them.

And don't sleep in them, even if the brand says you can. I always regret doing so.

And if you have your own contact lens prescription (NOT the same as your eyeglasses), just order contacts online. Its much cheaper than buying them from the office, UNLESS your insurance is covering it. If you'd be paying for lenses out of pocket, try a website like lensdiscounters.com or something.

It just takes some practice, and then it's second nature. Pretty good tips on how to do it above. Key is pulling your eyelids open and then popping it on an eye with another finger very gently, then shutting your eye.

Make sure you have the contact right side out as well--it should roll up like a soft taco when pressed together, if the edges don't want to go together, it's inside out and needs reversed.

I use daily disposables--and extra moist ones at that. Pricey, but I love the convenience of never having to clean/sterilize them and need the extra moisture as I have semi-dry eyes. Using the Focus Aquacomfort plus at the moment.

[quote name='Clak']I've always figured that wearing contacts increases the chances of an eye infection, simply because you're touching the eye.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Been wearing contacts for over 15 years and have never had an eye infection. It took a while before the docs found the right lens for me though. Went through a year of high school with the lenses popping off constantly, but once they got the right fit it's been no looking back. Now the only time I wear glasses is for a few minutes before bed and a few minutes when I wake up.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It just takes some practice, and then it's second nature. Pretty good tips on how to do it above. Key is pulling your eyelids open and then popping it on an eye with another finger very gently, then shutting your eye.

Make sure you have the contact right side out as well--it should roll up like a soft taco when pressed together, if the edges don't want to go together, it's inside out and needs reversed.

I use daily disposables--and extra moist ones at that. Pricey, but I love the convenience of never having to clean/sterilize them and need the extra moisture as I have semi-dry eyes. Using the Focus Aquacomfort plus at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Do you ever sleep in your dailies? I've been thinking about switching to dailies but I sleep in my contacts sometimes. Never had a problem with doing it but I figured that dailies may be a different story.

I've fallen asleep with them in a few times. No problems other than them being pretty dry in the mornings. You wouldn't want to wear them the next day, but no issues tossing that pair and putting in a new pair. I wouldn't sleep in them regularly (same with any type of contacts), but no biggie if you pass out with them in every once in a while.

I actually had a friend who left his in for a week, ended up with a pretty bad ifnection.

[quote name='Clak']I've always figured that wearing contacts increases the chances of an eye infection, simply because you're touching the eye.[/QUOTE]

Remember the eye has one of the most powerful chemicals in the human body to just straight up kill germs, they're called lysosomes and they really kick in when you're asleep. That's why you end up with eye crust in the morning.
Not to say your eyes can't get infected. I've had a cold and touched my eyes even just barely coated with mucus. It took a day or two to kill that. Funny that there are people who considered that pinkeye. I believe I might have had Pink Eye once and it lasted longer then this. Instead it just mimics the look of Pink Eye...period.
As far as inserting a contact make sure your contacts are nice and wet with saline and when you look at the contact it doesn't sharply flare out but has a nice round upswing. Then give it a shot. The saline really helps to seal it when you're putting it on right.
As for those asking about sleeping in contacts I wear "Night and Day" and those are 30 days which cause me no problems as they're meant to sleep in. The only thing is don't wear em' past that because they're clearly not meant for it. I've gone past the time period and usually then let my eyes rest for a few days without contacts in then.

I've been wearing contacts for 15 years or so and have never had an eye infection over that span.

I wouldn't suggest sleeping on contacts, I've heard of some people having issues even with the night & day contacts (but others have no issues so YMMV). But as long as your hands are always clean when putting them in, and you're properly cleaning and sterilizing your contacts (or using dailies that just get tossed every night) you likely won't have any issues with infections.

Here are some tips. Make sure your finger tip is dry as hell (the one holding the contact). Pry your eyes open with both hands. Like you gotta be stretching that shit open. As you're doing that, stare hard as hell at the contact lense. Don't be a bitch and look away or anything, just stare at it like REALLY REALLY hard. I'm asian so I have chinky eyes and it was kinda rough but I did it. If I can do it, anyone can. If your eyes are watery, wait until they are ready. If your skin around the eye is oily or slippery, clean it up so there's grip. Good luck.

bread's done
Back