Contest (CAG Foreplay #62): Win Avalon Code (DS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My entry is the Joystick.
I remember watching a promo VHS about N64 that I got in the mail, and they were making a big deal about how Mario could run around in circles, and could move at different speeds everything from tip toeing to running. :)

Something innovative and taken for granted, that to the best of my knowledge debuted on the SNES, is the traditional diamond shaped button scheme on the right side of the controller.

The Snes and the ds have the abxy buttons in that layout which is the same as the ps1-ps3 and their triangle, square, circle, and x button. The 360 and Dreamcast have it too.

The genesis, Xbox original, and n64 had basically the same layouts with 2 extra face buttons

The Gamecube got flak for having the jelly bean buttons all through it's lifetime and the Wii's button layout just isn't right for quite a few traditional games.

I honestly think that button design is taken for granted.

I'll say Thief, which basically invented the first person sneaker.
That game along with system shock 2 convinced me that fp did't have to mean a mindless shooter.

A huge benefit as a family game, Lego Star Wars brought us ... (almost) zero consequence for dying. No game over screen, no counting of lives, no regressing back to a load screen ... just keep on playing.

Just being able to save. Dont know how many times I left the NES on while I was at school or other places so I didnt have to start my game back over from the beginning.

I would have to say there would have to be an epic boss battle at the end of each game. A perfect example is how people complain that there isn't a final boss in the end of Fable II. To me, if that's the big complaint in a good game then it's obvious every game needs a final boss.

My vote's for Duck Hunt. The idea of shooting a gun at your television and actually having to aim to hit targets was awesome, though we all know it eventually devolved into players scraping the muzzle of the zapper against the screen of their televisions in pursuit of the high scores.

Here's a short Duckhunt story to cap the post.

When my Dad brought home our NES (the week it came out no less!) he, for reasons incomprehensible to me, opted to trade in the Duck Hunt cartridge for Donkey Kong Jr. While I can't really harbor any animosity towards my father (he did by me an NES within days of it's release) I didn't realize what injustice had been done untill a visit to a friends home a few days later. Walking into his living room and seeing him wielding a gun...A FREAKING GUN!...and blasting virtual ducks (and the occasional skeet) from the sky blew my mindhole. Suffice to say a daily regimen of begging eventually chipped away at my parents seemingly iron wills and I did receive it as a gift a number of months later. Correction: the reality of that purchase probably had more to do with my fathers eventual personal discovery of Duckhunt than the spoiled cries of a six year old brat.

The lightgun game has become a staple of the endangered video arcade while living on in console form with current day on-rail shooters like House of the Dead Overkill and the upcoming Dead Space: Extraction. It's only fitting that the company that pioneered the home light gun game is still the best home for it's evolved descendants.

Thanks guys. Avalon Code has had my interest peeked since I read a preview for it months ago. Unfortunately with the current economy it has yet to make it's way into my collection. So, if I do happen to win you can bet it will be much appreciated and given a good home.

WOOPS: Props to strife18 for coming up with the lightgun before me. I hadn't read all the pages before posting.

I pick memory cards/ transferable saves. I like the idea of using my save for any copy of a game I play.

If you guys ever run out of ideas for a contest, I suggest you two ask the cags to list places that have fewer games than shipwreck's basement. It could my local gamestop, 1up offices in San Francisco, ign, E3, etc....

Mods. Doom wads, Quakeworld, Quake 2, and some Half-Life. Those 4 games gave me thousands of hours of playtime from the content coming out of people's basements. Action Quake 2, Team Fortress, CS, Star Wars CTF for Quakeworkd, regular CTF, anything with grappling hooks in QW (remember those, oh man), Freeze Tag, etc. The fact that I could go online, download a free mod in 2 minutes (or 2 hours depending on my dial-up), and play it for months or even years is incredible. Some of them, like TF, were well supported and I don't have to tell you the rest of the history there.

And I don't know what you're talking about Rick1000, the Rocket Launcher is one of the greatest things ever in games. Of course it's not the same as it once was. Back in the days of quake it as a tool for reaching new heights even more than it was a weapon. I can still fondly remember map locations from Quake 1 only reachable by a skilled rocket jumper.

Now I'm feeling all nostalgic.

I'd have to say the AI in F.E.A.R was very innovative at the time because enemies would topple bookshelves, or work together like a squad in a multilayer match.

Network play, we had Descent 2 loaded on the computer lab and played while in class, the network play was easy and couldn't have been more fun. I think multiplayer games and co-op is a great addition to any game, and should be the basis of all games.

Moral choices was a great idea at first when games had multiple endings depending on the choices you made. Nowadays, it amounts to little more than different quests you can partake in and even then you can switch between the two like a light switch. It has become the biggest gimmick to sell video games to consumers and it is a sham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back