Contest to Win a PlayStation Vita

theherp80

CAG Veteran
Hey Guys, full disclosure I'm the managing editor at the website Vivid Gamer. We just started a contest for a chance to win a PlayStation Vita! It's easy to enter and there are multiple ways to get bonus entries via subscribing to our newsletter and liking us on Facebook. Here's the link:

http://vividgamer.com/2012/02/15/contest-win-a-playstation-vita/

here are the rules:

All you need to do is show us what you would do to for a Vita.
Leave us a message in the comments at the site, telling or showing us the lengths you would go in order to win your very own PS Vita. The more creative, the more points you'll earn.

• Limit one entry per person.
  • If you have a piece of art or other creative work to share, be sure to include a link in your comment.
  • You must be 13 years or older.
  • Only valid for residents of the United States.
  • Earn bonus entries for signing up for our Newsletter, liking us on Facebook , or following us on Twitter, and tweeting the contest.
  • All entries must have a valid email contact. If you win, but we can’t contact you, you won’t get anything.
  • Contest ends on March 15th 2011 at 11:59 p.m PST. No entries past this point will be accepted.
  • Vivid Gamer is not responsible if your prize is lost or damaged in shipping.

If you have any questions about the contest let me know! Thanks!

So I have a question about the contest: How can you have both entries and a point system by which you're judged? Which is it...a random drawing or a creative contest?

Not trying to be a jerk, but just trying to understand the nature of the event.

Thanks, I also found two problems
1, the Twitter link links to your facebook page
2, the facebook contest app doesn't load, but that might just be me. (I tried in firefox and chrome)

[quote name='boagman']So I have a question about the contest: How can you have both entries and a point system by which you're judged? Which is it...a random drawing or a creative contest?

Not trying to be a jerk, but just trying to understand the nature of the event.[/QUOTE]

If I understand the question... basic math. It should work out something like... (note all sums are random)

Facebook 294
Twitter 503
News Letter 183
Tweets 80
=

1:1,060

from here you select a number at random then go to that point. Like if I counted twitter after facebook then follower #1 on twitter would be 295 not 1. However the way they're going about it requires a lot more effort so they could easily make a list of whom is worth X point each on a score card and then pull the number.

sn free bump (didnt enter)

[quote name='admiralvic']If I understand the question... basic math. It should work out something like... (note all sums are random)

Facebook 294
Twitter 503
News Letter 183
Tweets 80
=

1:1,060

from here you select a number at random then go to that point. Like if I counted twitter after facebook then follower #1 on twitter would be 295 not 1. However the way they're going about it requires a lot more effort so they could easily make a list of whom is worth X point each on a score card and then pull the number.

sn free bump (didnt enter)[/QUOTE]

I must have missed "60 Minutes"...

I'm still unclear on the subjective/objective judging or ratio or whatever it is. I haven't entered because I don't understand the basic premise of the rules. Seems like a mess to me.

[quote name='boagman']I must have missed "60 Minutes"...

I'm still unclear on the subjective/objective judging or ratio or whatever it is. I haven't entered because I don't understand the basic premise of the rules. Seems like a mess to me.[/QUOTE]

it is, but that doesn't mean you can't win regardless. LOL

[quote name='tankyroo']Thanks, I also found two problems
1, the Twitter link links to your facebook page
2, the facebook contest app doesn't load, but that might just be me. (I tried in firefox and chrome)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out, i went ahead and fixed it. As far as the app not loading, im not sure since I've tested it on my end and seems to work fine in Chrome. I'll email the dev to see if they can spot any issues.

sorry for any confusion, as far as i know the points system will be used by staff members for every entry and you'll get bonus points for follow us on facebook, twitter and signing up for newsletter which increases your chance to win. Not sure we are doing a completely random drawing though we will be starting a contest next week that will be all random and you will have a chance to win a few other things. Not a vita but some cool prizes so if you'd rather enter that one you can. Although you can enter both :). I'll find out the exact system from the EIC and reply if its any different. hope this helps.

[quote name='boagman']I must have missed "60 Minutes"...

I'm still unclear on the subjective/objective judging or ratio or whatever it is. I haven't entered because I don't understand the basic premise of the rules. Seems like a mess to me.[/QUOTE]

sorry for any confusion, as far as i know the points system will be used by staff members for every entry and you'll get bonus points for follow us on facebook, twitter and signing up for newsletter which increases your chance to win. Not sure we are doing a completely random drawing though we will be starting a contest next week that will be all random and you will have a chance to win a few other things. Not a vita but some cool prizes so if you'd rather enter that one you can. Although you can enter both . I'll find out the exact system from the EIC and reply if its any different. hope this helps.

[quote name='theherp80']sorry for any confusion, as far as i know the points system will be used by staff members for every entry and you'll get bonus points for follow us on facebook, twitter and signing up for newsletter which increases your chance to win. Not sure we are doing a completely random drawing though we will be starting a contest next week that will be all random and you will have a chance to win a few other things. Not a vita but some cool prizes so if you'd rather enter that one you can. Although you can enter both . I'll find out the exact system from the EIC and reply if its any different. hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Well, if it's not a random draw, and there are multiple entries (yet, oddly, only one entry per person!), there's a subjective judging going on for whatever you're "looking for", yet posting to FB and Twitter and whatever else "increases your chances", I'm calling *major* shenanigans.

This smells pretty bad, and I've been on the boards here quite some time. I'm not entering, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but really: you're making yourselves look bad, here. You should endeavor to clean it up, or at least quantify/explain how things will be rated/judged/drawn/randomized/kept above board. As it stands, it's hardly cogent, and I don't need, nor want, a Vita that badly.

Nor will I ever.

[quote name='boagman']Well, if it's not a random draw, and there are multiple entries (yet, oddly, only one entry per person!), there's a subjective judging going on for whatever you're "looking for", yet posting to FB and Twitter and whatever else "increases your chances", I'm calling *major* shenanigans.

This smells pretty bad, and I've been on the boards here quite some time. I'm not entering, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but really: you're making yourselves look bad, here. You should endeavor to clean it up, or at least quantify/explain how things will be rated/judged/drawn/randomized/kept above board. As it stands, it's hardly cogent, and I don't need, nor want, a Vita that badly.

Nor will I ever.[/QUOTE]

Well its your loss if you don't want to enter. We're giving away a PlayStation Vita here. Not a code, not a $60 game, not a $40 PS vita game but a portable console. So yes, we do want you to work for it. You'll get bonus entries for liking us on FB and following us on Twitter and that can put you ahead of someone who didn't in the end. If this contest isn't for you thats fine, we have another one coming up that is totally random and will consist of smaller prizes. so feel free to enter that and you'll win some gift cards you can use to buy whatever game you're interested in. The current contest post has been updated to clear anything up since some people were confused about how the contest works, and I appreciate those who reached out to us about their concerns.

[quote name='boagman']Well, if it's not a random draw, and there are multiple entries (yet, oddly, only one entry per person!), there's a subjective judging going on for whatever you're "looking for", yet posting to FB and Twitter and whatever else "increases your chances", I'm calling *major* shenanigans.

Nor will I ever.[/QUOTE]

Sigh~ I really should stop defending them as I am not really required to...

Anyways this IS a ill thought out contest, but what really makes them look bad or needs to be explained? I ran (Yes I ran it...) a contest for 2 signed copies of Skyrim. Some people wrote paragrpahs explaning how much they LOVED the Elder Scrolls series and others were like "this game is a laggy piece of shit and rather not spend my money on this game that tarnishes the games great reputation.".

These people are extremely common and that's what the contest is about. Knowning how Vivid is ran I can only assume theres a fairly basic system in place.

5 points = Well explained reason.
4 points = decent reason.
3 points = okay reason.
2 points = put in effort.
1 point = wrote something stupid.

More than likely off of this system there will be SEVERAL staff members like Rebecca, Eric and Kyle deciding who deserves what. Ultimately and in the end... it's more likely a Twitter or Facebook follow/fan will win.

[quote name='admiralvic']Sigh~ I really should stop defending them as I am not really required to...

Anyways this IS a ill thought out contest, but what really makes them look bad or needs to be explained? I ran (Yes I ran it...) a contest for 2 signed copies of Skyrim. Some people wrote paragrpahs explaning how much they LOVED the Elder Scrolls series and others were like "this game is a laggy piece of shit and rather not spend my money on this game that tarnishes the games great reputation.".

These people are extremely common and that's what the contest is about. Knowning how Vivid is ran I can only assume theres a fairly basic system in place.

5 points = Well explained reason.
4 points = decent reason.
3 points = okay reason.
2 points = put in effort.
1 point = wrote something stupid.

More than likely off of this system there will be SEVERAL staff members like Rebecca, Eric and Kyle deciding who deserves what. Ultimately and in the end... it's more likely a Twitter or Facebook follow/fan will win.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I'm not mad about it or anything, but I can certainly appreciate your admission that it's ill-thought-out. As long as people know that up front, I've got no real objection to it, then.

FYI: you *did* offer up an "Any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer!"-type of statement. I was just taking you up on your offer. No hard feelings or bad attitude from me at this point, and if you felt I was personally attacking you, then you have my apologies. That wasn't my intent... my intent was to call out the contest for being illogical.

Cheers!

[quote name='boagman']Fair enough. I'm not mad about it or anything, but I can certainly appreciate your admission that it's ill-thought-out. As long as people know that up front, I've got no real objection to it, then.

FYI: you *did* offer up an "Any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer!"-type of statement. I was just taking you up on your offer. No hard feelings or bad attitude from me at this point, and if you felt I was personally attacking you, then you have my apologies. That wasn't my intent... my intent was to call out the contest for being illogical.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

I do believe you're mixing people up. I use to do the contests and such for Vividgamer, though I quit a few months back. This is why I said I should really stop defending. However since I spent a lot of time there I was trying to help them out as... well thats not important. Anyways my post was simply an explanation of how I expect them to do it and what I know of the writers already.

bread's done
Back