Contra Rebirth - All-new co-op Contra coming to Wiiware soon!

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
contrarebirthmain.png

- Contra Rebirth -

- Price: $10 / 1000 Wii Points
- Publisher: Konami
- Developer: ???
- Release date: May 12, 2009 in Japan - Elsewhere TBA

Contra Rebirth is an all-new Contra game coming exclusively to Wiiware. It's in the classic 2D, sprite-based style, features 2-player co-op (online functionality is not confirmed), and looks quite awesome, judging from the early screenshots. It's unknown exactly who is developing it; it might be an internal team at Konami, or perhaps it is being made by an outside studio, like Contra 4. More info is surely coming soon.

Screens:
contrarebirth1.png
contrarebirth2.png

contrarebirth3.png
contrarebirth4.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gunm']Ah damn it, why does this have to be on Wii of all systems?[/QUOTE]

Because it's obviously the perfect system for it. Also, Contra does have a bit of history on Nintendo platforms, in case you weren't aware.

I won't buy anything that I'd do for multiplayer on my Wii honestly its a pain in the butt keying in the codes hoping it registers you to finally get on and play. I've never liked the way the Wii or the DS has done it with friend codes why you can't just have a user ID and key on that instead of a 12 to 16 digit code is beyond me. This is a total no sell for me if it came out on Live I'd pick it right up for on the Wii...pass sorry I like my Wii but its definatly a single player machine to me.

[quote name='Matt Young']You left out the fact that there has been no confirmation of a U.S. release.[/QUOTE]

Who, me? No, I didn't. I said "elsewhere TBA." But really, is there any question that it'll see US release??

Contra 4 sold less than 10,000 copies in Japan, versus a quarter of a million copies in the US. Unless Konami is, uh, completely retarded, they'll make sure to deliver Contra Rebirth to what is obviously the series' biggest fanbase.

Love the "Mode 7" effects on the jetpack guys. This looks seriously kick-ass.

Online multiplayer is way too much to ask for though. There is no way it will include that.

[quote name='LostRoad']Day one for me, looks really good. Can never have enough Contra in my life.[/QUOTE]

I don't play my wii hardly ever,but this might change that. I love me some Contra.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Who, me? No, I didn't. I said "elsewhere TBA." But really, is there any question that it'll see US release??

Contra 4 sold less than 10,000 copies in Japan, versus a quarter of a million copies in the US. Unless Konami is, uh, completely retarded, they'll make sure to deliver Contra Rebirth to what is obviously the series' biggest fanbase.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of the sales figures. I guess Japan's distaste for shooting games beat out their love for extreme difficulty.

I definitely hope this comes here.

Online multiplayer is not too much to ask for considering the simplicity of the game. Bomberman, Tetris Party, and Dr. Mario have all allowed for the feature and Konami would be lazy not to provide the option.

Ok got it, took me 24 min to beat the game on normal. Only 5 stages but it was fun. Had some cut scenes that added a little something to it. Seems you unlock other toons to play once you beat it, I got Brownie.

Some online play would be nice, but the game is so short anyway it really doesn't matter.

[quote name='LostRoad']Ok got it, took me 24 min to beat the game on normal. Only 5 stages but it was fun. Had some cut scenes that added a little something to it. Seems you unlock other toons to play once you beat it, I got Brownie.

Some online play would be nice, but the game is so short anyway it really doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

I got it. It is short just 5 stages. Reminds me of the good old days though.

[quote name='jman619']I haven't turned my Nintendo Wii on in about 5 months. I will have to check Contra out. I really love the series every since the good old days...[/QUOTE]

You've missed a lot then!

Just beat hard. No new toons, seems only two unlock. Though nightmare did open up. Pretty good bullet hell. Each time you kill something it shoots that blue shit that the first sub boss shot at you. This was easily worth the $10.

[quote name='LostRoad']Just beat hard. No new toons, seems only two unlock. Though nightmare did open up. Pretty good bullet hell. Each time you kill something it shoots that blue shit that the first sub boss shot at you. This was easily worth the $10.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I think I'll buy it.

[quote name='johnnypark']Out today, eh?? I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about it.[/QUOTE]

Well, here's my objection to Contra Rebirth:

I hated Contra 3 due to its' difficulty and since this game is harder than that, I'm sure I'll hate it as well.

The Japanese version of Contra 3 is much easier than the American version. You should try that on an emulator.

(BTW you should get better at games. :p)

[quote name='JEKKI']whoo! contra!

btw, side mote sucks worse than the default classic controller.

SNES controller ftw!![/QUOTE]

Has side mote been good for anything though? Besides you have a Super Famicom controller, why would you use anything else?

[quote name='KingBroly']Well, here's my objection to Contra Rebirth:

I hated Contra 3 due to its' difficulty and since this game is harder than that, I'm sure I'll hate it as well.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think Contra III was that hard to be honest with you. Back in the day me, and my friend beat it on the hardest mode like it was nothing. Now I admit I'm not as good as I use to be,but I could still beat it.

bread's done
Back