Controller for Gamecube/Virtual Console games with a good D-pad?

Rusty Ghia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I sold off my Gamecube last year in anticipation of the Wii, which I finally bought on Saturday. Now I need a controller to play Gamecube and Virtual Console games with. But I did not like the D-pad on the standard Gamecube controller or the Wavebird, especially not for 2-D games.

Any suggestions?

The classic controller add on for the wii remote is good, but you can't ust it on GC games. But it's great for virtual console.

As for the GC controller, I guess it's okay for GC games. There's not really an alternative.

[quote name='Ziv']
As for the GC controller, I guess it's okay for GC games. There's not really an alternative.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is, in the form of a Hori Digital Pad, but I don't think it's going to be easy to run across those these days.

You can find a replica at Gamestop from Pelican. I don't know what it's called, but it looks similar to the Hori. I doubt Pelican's build quality, but it's something.

I don't know how much this helps you, RG, but you could at least be on the lookout. I imagine the Hori pad would work nicely for VC games.

Yeah, the d-pad on the Classic Controller is kick ass for VC games. There aren't many GC games that you need the d-pad for anyway.

So I guess that it's a Wavebird and Classic Controller for me. Or a Hori Digital Pad, if I can find one. Any deals on either?

What about a PS2-GCN controller adapter? I use that specifically for playing Nintendo Puzzle Collection.

The Hori pads are rare at this point. I imagine you could find some here and there if you look around. Gamecrazy carried them, for example. But it's going to be very hit or miss.

Classic Controller is great. No real deals to speak of. I think Sam's has a bundle where you get Wiimote + 'Chuk + CC for like 60-70? There's some savings in there. Not a lot, but something.

Only other way I'd know of is to check trade lists 'round here, because there's no official deals that I'm aware of.

[quote name='RyokoYaksa']What about a PS2-GCN controller adapter? I use that specifically for playing Nintendo Puzzle Collection.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but no. I hate the PS2 controller - the Dual Shock grips are just too short. Were they designed for midget hands?

If it's a good D-pad you're after, you can't beat this in my opinion:

Combine with a first-party SNES pad to roll your own best-VC-controller-ever.

[quote name='destro713']If it's a good D-pad you're after, you can't beat this in my opinion:

Combine with a first-party SNES pad to roll your own best-VC-controller-ever.[/QUOTE]

link and / or name would be nice.

[quote name='destro713']If it's a good D-pad you're after, you can't beat this in my opinion:

Combine with a first-party SNES pad to roll your own best-VC-controller-ever.[/QUOTE]
Would this adapter work with a Capcom Power Stick Fighter? It's a joystick Capcom designed for the NES and SNES but it's special for Street Fighter II.

[quote name='RockinX']Would this adapter work with a Capcom Power Stick Fighter? It's a joystick Capcom designed for the NES and SNES but it's special for Street Fighter II.[/quote]

It should. Just the buttons might be mapped to something weird.

I have no proof to back it up, however. But it doesn't say anything about third party controllers not working, and by the sound of it, it's a first party controller.

bread's done
Back