Controller playback doesn't work on some blu-ray mvoies.

Viperx116

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
The X and Square buttons don't work. This seems to happen only on more recent blu-ray movies. If I want to pause or play, I have to hit triangle to select the appropriate controls that way. Is there a way to fix this?

Doesn't Start pause the movie?

I just use the blu-ray remote that came with my PS3 and it has about five different ways to pause videos, so I don't really have this problem.

[quote name='Viperx116']The X and Square buttons don't work. This seems to happen only on more recent blu-ray movies. If I want to pause or play, I have to hit triangle to select the appropriate controls that way. Is there a way to fix this?[/QUOTE]

The PS3 Controller buttons are pressure-sensitive. It's possible for some Blu-Ray titles that you have to apply more pressure to the button (push it harder and deeper) for the button press to be recognized.

[quote name='Viperx116']The X and Square buttons don't work. This seems to happen only on more recent blu-ray movies. If I want to pause or play, I have to hit triangle to select the appropriate controls that way. Is there a way to fix this?[/QUOTE]

I've noticed this too as of late.

[quote name='Osiris11235']The PS3 Controller buttons are pressure-sensitive. It's possible for some Blu-Ray titles that you have to apply more pressure to the button (push it harder and deeper) for the button press to be recognized.[/QUOTE]

No, that's not the case, they must have changed something in the last few firmwares how the buttons operate and function.

Like Frisky, I usually resort to getting the remote out and using it, but the X button was the one I used mostly to pause a movie while I was watching it, and how have to use Start pretty much exclusively. I just found it odd that they removed a controller function that has been there since the PS2 era.

That's odd. I watched Inception on Blu-ray (which came out a few weeks ago) on the latest firmware (3.55) and the X and Square buttons worked perfectly. It must be the case with specific newer Blu-ray titles or something; I doubt such basic functionality would be removed across the board.

EDIT: My bad, just tried it under those conditions (Inception BD on 3.55) and X doesn't work, only Square. What the heck...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='uncle5555'](about pressure sensitive buttons) No, that's not the case, they must have changed something in the last few firmwares how the buttons operate and function.[/QUOTE]

I genuinely hope you're wrong. I have a 60GB model, and I'm a big MGS fan. MGS2 and 3 utilize pressure sensitivity. If they took it out, I'm taking my 60GB PS3 out of my house and replacing it with a handful of PS2s.

bread's done
Back