Controller talk...

optimusprime8062

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hey guys, I just got my PS3 a few days ago and something I noticed immediately was the controller has very smooth analog sticks. A little too smooth! Im looking for something with a little more resistance (like say, the dualshock 2). Is there any plans to release a new controller with tougher analog sticks and/or later models have more resistance on the sticks? Im kind of thinking this might even be a luck of the draw type situtation, where some DS3 controllers are fine...normal/more resistance and some are the one I have.

Man, too bad. Havent they received negative feedback on this from Playstation fans? It seems like thats why they introduced the DS3 (because everyone was pissed that there wasnt any rumble), so why not release one with tighter analog?

IMO the 360 controller feels better to be but the PS3 controller works. I have big hands and like the offset 360 analog sticks.

Well, I mean, the analog sticks are pretty important because its the "feel" you get for the character or object you are moving around in the game...so if it sucks then it takes away a lot from the game. I'm just hoping that Ill get used to it because, for right now, I'm feeling pretty annoyed.

Isn't there generic controllers you could try? Like madcats or logitech or something? If you like the ps2 controller, there are adapters to use it on the ps3. I got one on ebay for like 5 bucks. The brand is Yobo. There are actually a few options out there. If you can use a soldering iron, just pop off the the sticks and put a thicker spring in.

i dont like how sensitive the should buttons can be especially the r2 button. made playing bishock very hard at time because you barely tap it and you shoot someone on accident . i dunno if all the shoulder buttons are like that for all controllers or if its just mine.

[quote name='final h0ur']Isn't there generic controllers you could try? Like madcats or logitech or something? If you like the ps2 controller, there are adapters to use it on the ps3. I got one on ebay for like 5 bucks. The brand is Yobo. There are actually a few options out there. If you can use a soldering iron, just pop off the the sticks and put a thicker spring in.[/quote]

Hey, thanks man. That was my next question "can I fix it so they are tighter?"

Unfortunately, no...I cannot use a soldering iron...is it something easily learned?

EDIT: Did a search on Google and YouTube and didn't really find anything about fixing the resistance of the analog sticks. Sorry to be a pain, but could you point me in the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have some spare parts to put one together. I could just put the springs from a 360 controller into a ps3 controller. They match right up. And I have all the equipment. You gotta pay the shipping, though. I gotta make sure I have all the parts first. I'm sure I do.

[quote name='final h0ur']I think I have some spare parts to put one together. I could just put the springs from a 360 controller into a ps3 controller. They match right up. And I have all the equipment. You gotta pay the shipping, though. I gotta make sure I have all the parts first. I'm sure I do.[/quote]

Ah, I see, thank you. I may be able to get a hold of a soldering iron though? I go to UNC-A, so they might have one in one of the departments there. I would just need to know like...what to do? Is it really complicated to explain?

[quote name='Maklershed']I actually like the over smoothness of the PS3 buttons. Its like touching velvet and helps me do barrel rolls easier.[/quote]

I have to agree. I love the DS3 smoothness. I prefer it over the 360 controller.

[quote name='final h0ur']http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-FOR-PS2-TO-PS3-GAME-CONTROLLER-CONVERTER-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ380101403016QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item380101403016&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

This is a fast easy cheap fix. just plug in your DS2.:)

I wouldn't mess w/ the soldering. It's a pain if you are just starting out.[/quote]

I see...but what about the PS button? And I also really like the wireless portion of the DS3. I know Im being picky :/ but if theres a way to use the PS3 controller and have tighter analogs I would much prefer that...

If it comes down to it, I guess Ill have to sacrifice one or the other but you know...I might find someone at UNC-A who knows how to solder and can help me do it... (Im being a pain I know)

Whatever you do, stay far, far away from the Logitech Chillstream. The Nyko Zero is actually quite good with most games. The sticks provide substantial resistance.

3_large.jpg

I never thought about the resistance of the analog sticks on the PS controllers. My only complaint reference the PS3 / PS2 controllers were the shape of the analog sticks, I felt that they would be better if weren't in that convex shape. I felt like you'd get better resistance, by having more controller over the analog sticks, which I felt would occure from having a concave analog stick (like the 360, and that Nyko controller pic posted by 'We are Ninja')

bread's done
Back