Convince me to buy/not buy Final Fantasy VII (PSX)

dchrisd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Hey. I'm a major Cheap Ass. I spend probably an average of 10-15 per game. I RARELY spend full price. However, I've recently been hungering to play me some FF7. The problem, however, is that the game is expensive. I know a place where I can get it for $50, but my Cheap Ass doesn't want to spend that much for an old psx game. So I'm asking you, the Cheap Ass Community, to convince to buy or not buy FF7. Any info on a possible re-release or a lower price from a trust-worthy place (not Ebay) would greatly help me.

By the way, I placed this in the PS2 forum since I'll be playing the game on my PS2.

I think it was one of the best FF games to come out but it isn't worth $50 plus dollars. There are many games out just as good for $15 or less. Rogue Galaxy is runnig about $10 now.

I found FF7 to be a very subpar game. Looking back, the game was awe-inspiring when it first came out. It has not aged well. I found the battle system to be slow and the storyline completely flawed. I also had a difficult time caring for any of the characters.

How it has come to be such a sought-after game, I'll never know.

If you can get it for $50 it would be worth either flipping on ebay or trading for some newer RPGs in the trading forum.

50?
Uhh, I bought Legend of Dragoon, FF7, and Fatal Frame 2 for $5 each on an ebay warehouse site...brand new factory sealed.

I think you need to explore your options 1st =/

[quote name='McNutsack']50?
Uhh, I bought Legend of Dragoon, FF7, and Fatal Frame 2 for $5 each on an ebay warehouse site...brand new factory sealed.

I think you need to explore your options 1st =/[/quote]

If it was black label, share the link.. now!

Blueshinra, attack!

Alright, here's my opinion. I liked FF7. No, I loved FF7, and I still do. No, it was not my first ever RPG - that honour goes to Phantasy Star 4. Or maybe Super Mario RPG. One of those two. Whatever.

The graphics of FF7 are, of course, laughable. It looks alright during battles, and the environments still look fine, but the character models are horrendous. This is a well-known and established fact that I should not have to go over, but I want to cover all the bases here.

Now with the graphics out of the way, how's the gameplay? Kinda depends. FF7 is really about what you'd expect from a turn-based RPG. Now, normally old games are made unplayable by advances other games have made - compare playing Wolfenstein 3D with Half-Life 2. However, the exact opposite is true with Final Fantasy 7: the turn-based RPG has failed so miserably at advancing that many people have become sick of them altogether. Myself, I tired of them mid-way through last generation. So basically, your enjoyment of FF7 will depend on your ability to enjoy turn-based JRPGs - 'cause really, they haven't evolved much since the 90s. That's not to say there haven't been good ones, but they're the exception.

Oh, and the translation's not too great. Not Final Fantasy Tactics bad, but there are definitely flaws.

Great game, but I agree- there's as-good if not better RPGs out there for less.

(Not to start any arguments - just my opinion on a few I've played):
- Chrono Cross
- Vagrant Story
- Knights of the Old Republic

I would never pay 50 for it, but i got a black label one mint at a yard sale for a dollar. I would trade it for a good wii game or 2.

What RPG's have you played and enjoyed? Have you played any Final Fantasy games before?

The first Final Fantasy I played was FFX and I thought it was great. I enjoyed it so much that I went down to the store and got FFVII, FFVIII and FFIX. I played FFVII and my reaction was "meh." It was such a letdown that I never got around to VIII or IX. Maybe it was groundbreaking at the time, but it hasn't aged well. If you haven't played any FF before, I suggest trying FFX. There are plenty of cheaper PS2 RPG's that are better.

It's going for $50 now?! You've gotta be joking. I mean, why?

Definitely don't buy it at that price, or if you do, we revoke your CAG card on the spot!!

Seriously, look around, I'm SURE you can get a lot better deal than 50 bones.

You can definatly find it cheaper than $50. I was talking with my cousin about this game when I was visiting family for the holiday, and he told me that he had recently managed to snag a black-label version of FFVII on Ebay for ~$30 shipped.

I'm actually playing thru the game now. It's not my favorite FF game (that belongs to FF VI) and it is actually my least-favorite of the three PSX Final Fantasies.

Keep in mind that if/when Squeenix re-releases an updated version (which is inevitable) that it will probably retail for $40+ depending on the console. I'm guessing they will do a re-release on the 15th anniversary in 2012, especially since they just did FF IV for DS, and will probably re-do FF V and VI within the next few years before they get up to FF VII. I really hope they do it on a console and not a handheld.

Not worth $50 in any way shape or form. Yeah, it was the first "grand FF" game of the disc-based era, but it really isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread either.
Given how many emulators are out there and the ability to buy it for a PC for dirt cheap you're better off that way.

I love me the turn based JRPG, but 7 just isn't what it once was.

There's plenty of better RPGs for less money. There are plenty of better Final Fantasy games. Shit, it's not even the best Final Fantasy on PS1 (That would go hands down to Final Fantasy Tactics, and even FFIX was better than VII)

Dave

It hasn't aged well.

I thought it was pretty amazing 10 years ago after a lifetime of NES, SNES and Genesis RPGs but today Phantasy Star IV or FF 3/6 remain more entertaining to me.

[quote name='McNutsack']But I see Legend of Dragoon is stil ls available for $3, lol.[/QUOTE]
You should get Legend of Dragoon. Seriously. It doesn't seem to get much respect, but I thought it was one of the best PS1 RPG's that I've played. I liked it a lot better than FFVII.

I would say, no, FFVII is really not worth paying $50 for. It was trend-setting when it came out, but it's since been surpassed, and similar, superior experiences can be had for much lower prices.

Thanks for the responses. I'm a bit surprised though, I thought they'd go the other way. For those who are curious, I decided against buying the game, for now. I still have a hankering to play FF7, but I think most of my interest in the game probably lies in nostalgia. Also, I've learned that the game doesn't utilize the analog stick, which is a major turn off for me.

Happy New Years.

I still absolutely love the game to death. Sure it didn't age well, and the graphics/cutscenes might look horrendous compared to todays standards, and the lack of analog support like you said; but I look past those flaws and still enjoy the game for what it was. I still play it till this day for the nostalgia...

/Spoken from a true VII fanboy.

Not sure if this sorta "talk" is against terms of service, but err uhhhh...

50 bucks could get you a ps2 mod chip. thats what I did, so I could play all the classic PS1 games and not pay hundreds of dollars for some just because people think it's alrite to sell great games for outrageous prices.

so no, dont spend anything on ff7 if you dont have to, but play it at all cost!

[quote name='McNutsack']Not sure if this sorta "talk" is against terms of service, but err uhhhh...

50 bucks could get you a ps2 mod chip. thats what I did, so I could play all the classic PS1 games and not pay hundreds of dollars for some just because people think it's alrite to sell great games for outrageous prices.

so no, dont spend anything on ff7 if you dont have to, but play it at all cost![/QUOTE]
or just use emulator...

anyway if you have to spend $50, you can spend that money on FF8 and FF9 and still got enough for another good game.

[quote name='TomCloud9']I would never pay 50 for it, but i got a black label one mint at a yard sale for a dollar. I would trade it for a good wii game or 2.[/quote]

What Wii game are you looking for?

If you can get the PC version cheaper than the PSX version (highly unlikely), get that. Less jaggy graphics, slightly cleaned-up translation, plus unofficial analog stick support ;) It runs well under Windows XP and Vista if you have the right patches; I have my copy currently installed on my Mac desktop via Boot Camp.

I don't know if I'm in the best position to recommend or not recommend FFVII to anyone, as I'm a huge fan. Although some aspects of it are certainly overrated and the graphics haven't aged well, I believe it's still a great game.

[quote name='blueshinra']If you can get the PC version cheaper than the PSX version (highly unlikely), get that. Less jaggy graphics, slightly cleaned-up translation, plus unofficial analog stick support ;) It runs well under Windows XP and Vista if you have the right patches; I have my copy currently installed on my Mac desktop via Boot Camp.

I don't know if I'm in the best position to recommend or not recommend FFVII to anyone, as I'm a huge fan. Although some aspects of it are certainly overrated and the graphics haven't aged well, I believe it's still a great game.[/quote]
There are places where one can download the PC version, if one's interested in playing it that way. I did it a couple years ago. There are some funky mods one can use in the game, like using the super-detailed Cloud model for the entire game, or giving the block-handed models fingers.

[quote name='The Crotch']Oh, and the motorcycle minigame = bitchin'.[/QUOTE]
I personally loved the submarine minigame xD It was so easy to get GP from that one.

FF7 was the first RPG I ever played and the first RPG I ever completed. I instantly got addicted to it and loved it.
The game is a treasure that anyone should own.

[quote name='looploop']There are places where one can download the PC version, if one's interested in playing it that way. I did it a couple years ago. There are some funky mods one can use in the game, like using the super-detailed Cloud model for the entire game, or giving the block-handed models fingers.[/QUOTE]
Well, that's not exactly legal; hence, why I didn't mention it.

And oh yeah, the mods and hacks! Another great reason to get the PC version over the PSX one.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Get Final Fantasy X, it's so much better than VII[/QUOTE]
What exactly made it SO much better? The GRAPHIXXXX? The sphere grid? The music? The voice acting? (lol). It's all subjective of course...

[quote name='y2kenjination']What exactly made it SO much better? The GRAPHIXXXX? The sphere grid? The music? The voice acting? (lol). It's all subjective of course...[/QUOTE]
Yes, all that. Also the characters, the story, the battle system, the mini-games. I can't think of one thing I liked better about FFVII. It seems to me that the people who like FFVII better are looking at it through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia.

And, of course, that is all subjective.

The game sold shit loads of copies.

Don't you have a friend or relative you can borrow it from?

It started out great in my opinion, but ended up with some strange psychodelic ending. It was like the the story writers were on acid and out of ideas.

Personally, I liked Final Fantasy IX and X more.

Get FF VIII, IX and X to get better games (VII is great but the others have aged better).

You can get those three brand new for less than a used FF VII.

My most played game of all time. I'm going through for the 6th time.

You might not enjoy it as much today, though. Most of the love it gets originates from nostalgia, even though it is an amazing game. I really enjoy the setting, the characters, and the whole FFVII world. The music is great too. Having it portable now on PSP is even better. I did play it 10 years ago when it came out though.

You've got nothing to lose though, buy it, play it, hate it? It'll sell for the same on ebay, or maybe a bit more. The demand has been pretty consistent.

[quote name='blueshinra']If you can get the PC version cheaper than the PSX version (highly unlikely), get that. Less jaggy graphics, slightly cleaned-up translation, plus unofficial analog stick support ;) It runs well under Windows XP and Vista if you have the right patches; I have my copy currently installed on my Mac desktop via Boot Camp.

I don't know if I'm in the best position to recommend or not recommend FFVII to anyone, as I'm a huge fan. Although some aspects of it are certainly overrated and the graphics haven't aged well, I believe it's still a great game.[/quote]I sold my PC version (discs were mint, but the cardboard holder was flattened) for $40 or so on eBay, so should certainly be able to find that one less than $50. Good game in 97, sure as hell wouldn't pay $50 for it now.

I think I sold the PC version for around $90 a few years back. It was complete, the original release, though.

I think it is worth it. I got my copy when I bought my PS1, at the time KB Toys threw it in for free w/ a system purchase and it was actually my first Final Fantasy game I played(but not my first RPG), last year I played through it again and I still think it is great, gotta love riding the golden chocobo near the end.

Of course, are there better RPG's? Yes. Do they have the same story? No.

So, if you want to buy this keep in mind you are paying for 3 things:

1. The game itself
2. History of the Game (So called best game ever, rarity, etc. etc.)d
3. The unique story (not as in no other stories are similar, but that there is no other game you can buy with the exact same story)

To me those 3 reasons are worth $50, but depends on your perspective. I still think in a year or two it will be re-released somehow (Perhaps on PSP?) probably for around $30/$40...so you could wait for that.

Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game. I never had a PS1 during those days and really didnt start playing PS1 titles until maybe a couple of years ago (played FF7 for the first time in 2005). FF7's graphics are really bad today. But the whole story (even though it gets crazy at the end), music, characters and charm of the game made it my favorite ever. It is fun. (FF6 is right up there with it). There are better things to spend 50 dollars on but to each his own. Its a great gaming experience.

It's one of the first playstation games I played and while it was an amazing gaming expirience at the time its charm has somwhat worn off. The story I still like as well as the battle system but the graphics are just plain ugly andhard on the eyes. Now take a game like final fantasy 6 and thats a game you will never forget. But if they ever remade this game on any console it would be a system seller for me.

i think it's great mainly because of the materia system, story was so so, but i had fun throughout and think it's a worthy part of final fantasy lovers collection :)

Well pc copies are usually cheaper and it takes a POS pc to run it so, if you are not in it for the collector's value just get the pc one.

I tell you what, despite what everyone here is saying about not spending $50.00 on it, I say go for it. The game is in such high demand that you will double your money on it, especially if it is an original black label copy. Trust me this is a win-win for you. I bought one a few months ago for $70.00. I sold it for $199.99. Be encouraged!

[quote name='ricoraney']I bought one a few months ago for $70.00. I sold it for $199.99. Be encouraged![/quote]

I would say that you were stupid for buying it at $70, but after finding out that someone would actually pay $200 for that game, I can't anymore.

bread's done
Back