Convince me to watch Breaking Bad (no spoilers please)

ldsdrive

CAGiversary!
Been hearing a lot of good things about this series since the beginning. I actually watched the first few episodes a few years ago and it didn't hook me and I was busy with work at that time so I didn't continue to watch it. It seemed to focus a lot on making meth and nothing much about what each character is like as a person. At that point I guessed dealing drugs was really the main theme but I know that as the series progresses new characters/villains and plots are introduced.

I think what I'm really asking is, is this series for me? Should I keep watching cause something big is going to go down that I won't see coming and it will really hook me? I like drama, action, thriller and scifi. The Walking Dead mostly bores me but when shit hits the fan it makes it worth the wait. Nikita is my recent favorite due to its interesting and deep character development. Lost hooked me from the pilot with interesting back stories and scifi elements even when some of them don't have anything to do with the main plot. As much as I don't like procedural series like CSI, Law & Order, etc, I love Person of Interest and how well they mix bad-guy-of-the-week episodes with episodes that progress the main plot. I hope this gives you enough clues.

It's one of the best shows I've ever watched.  The focus stays on the crystal meth, but there is much more character development as the series goes on.  The first season can be a bit slow for people.  Season 2 is where it really picks up.  You should at least give it that much of a chance.

If you need to be convinced than just dont bother. Not like the show needs any new viewers since the end is near. Go watch Nikita and leave the good shows to others.

It's one of the best shows I've ever watched. The focus stays on the crystal meth, but there is much more character development as the series goes on. The first season can be a bit slow for people. Season 2 is where it really picks up. You should at least give it that much of a chance.
Nice. Now that I know I'll keep watching.

How many episodes did you watch? I'm not really sure what to tell you except that it's the best show ever made. The show obviously has a focus on drugs, but the show is really more about the characters and how the Walter's actions effect them. Some of what's going to happen ought to be a no brainer, Walter is cooking meth and his brother-in-law is a DEA agent.

Personally, I was hooked from the first episode and thought season 1 was amazing and every season is better than the last. I don't know how they manage that, but they do.

How many episodes did you watch? I'm not really sure what to tell you except that it's the best show ever made. The show obviously has a focus on drugs, but the show is really more about the characters and how the Walter's actions effect them. Some of what's going to happen ought to be a no brainer, Walter is cooking meth and his brother-in-law is a DEA agent.

Personally, I was hooked from the first episode and thought season 1 was amazing and every season is better than the last. I don't know how they manage that, but they do.
I only watched the first 3 episodes I think. What you and Trakan said above is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Maybe it came out wrong but it was never my intention to bash the show and the first 3 episodes I watched were by no means horrible. They were far from that and quite enjoyable. It was just the pacing that was the problem for me but I've seen some shows that were very slow at first and then things just went so fast it was incredible. I have no doubt in my mind this show really is what people say it is. Now that I know every season is better than the last I'll definitely continue to watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching all there is you'll always know what to say in a conversation to keep someone's attention. It's pretty fun. And if if you ever need to scare someone senseless or take care of a problem you'll also know how to do that.

It's very enjoyable, I don't think i've seen a boring episode, and i've finished and waiting for it to to start up again end of next month. It's really really good with character and development.

I didn't mind the fly episode.

I will say that I don't watch many live-action dramas. Never watched Mad Men or Sons of Anarchy, never seen anything from HBO, and the last network shows I watched somewhat regularly were Chuck and 30 Rock. Heck, I only watched this series because Best Buy had B1G1 Free on Seasons 1 and 2 last year.

I eventually bought Seasons 3 and 4 as well.

Granted, I sold Seasons 1-3 and still need to watch Season 4, but it is still a good show.

Best show on tv. Seasons 1-4 are perfect, slow build ups, to the big bang. Season 5 is just constant action essentially. I've watched seasons 1- 4 at least 5 times through and through. I've working on my second viewing of season 5

I don't understand the hate for "Fly". It was funny and it built on Walt and Jessi's characters. 

I watched the first two episodes a while back and it was funny, interesting and tense. My problem is I don't watch TV for long stretches. Too much ADD I suppose.

I have very much enjoyed this show from the beginning but Walt and Jessie are what make the show. Everybody else seems really mediocre to me. Skylar, ugh, Junior, meh, Hank, blah, focus villain of the season, okay. The story is strong, but the cast, when compared to shows like, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, or Boardwalk Empire makes this show a top 5 "currently" on TV at best. To say the best show ever, way too kind. AMC has a killer lineup of shows but Breaking Bad will be the first true mega hit to end on its own terms. It will be very interesting to see if it can piss people off as much as shows like the Sopranos and Lost did.

I started the series this year.. Marathon watched seasons 1-4 on Netflix which took a little time.  I was trying to get caught up before the new season starts this summer.  I recently bought season 5 and I'm almost finished with it.  Only thing is the more Skylar based episodes are not as good, imo.

LOL @ people who tell him to watch something else just because he wasn't hooked at first. Grow up.

The show's premise didn't interest me so I watched the season two finale which was available on demand. After that I became hooked. My favorite parts of the show:

* The show conveys a real sense of panic. I'm usually tense whenever I'm watching the show.

* Things that are undiscernable or seem like stupid details end up being what ties a story together. This usually works so well which is probably why most people became disappointed with the fly episode.

* It's rather unpredictable. You generally get the sense that everything will be alright because the show has to continue after all (similar to how Percy always got away in Nikita) but when you see how they make it out, you're like "whoa!"

I also love Nikita and it was my favorite show for a long time, but without giving spoilers, I'm not too invested in this current season.

Panic and unpredictable? As long as you knew it wasn't the last season, everyone watching it knew that absolutely nothing really bad was ever gonna happen to Jesse and Walt.

Where's the panic? It's like wondering if Mike Brady drops dead from a heart attack.

It's still a very good show but as you mentioned the knowledge that everyone will be ok keeps it from being a great show. And it certainly keeps it from being the best show on television.

Don't really understand the Skylar hate at all.

As far as the predictability you're gonna tell me you knew that
Walt was gonna run over those guys who were using kids to deal?
or that
Hank wasn't going to get killed by Salamanka's nephews?

There are plenty of tense moments in the show that can play out in any number of ways (aside from the obvious main character death). I remember watching season 3 in one day because I thought it was the last season and I couldn't stop. Season 4's first half hasn't been all that great in comparison to the rest of the show, in my opinion.

The gf started watching this a couple weeks ago and really likes it. Personally, I thought it was just ok, but far better than Weeds. Oddly enough, I think Ghost Whisperer is better than both. :rofl:

As someone who likes Nikita, I was never hooked with Nikita as I was with Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad is awesome! However, there are just some shows that certain people just don't like. It's a personal thing. For me that show is Seinfeld *hides*. I never got the appeal of that show.

I would like to say, I don't get this Skyler hate. Could anyone really blame her for the way she acts? I actually think she is rather composed considering... 

bread's done
Back