Cooking Mama Wii for $20 at Target B&M YMMV

D. Monic

CAGiversary!
Update: This deal is a bit more YMMV than originally thought. It's still ringing up at $19.99 for many CAGers, but others have had it ring up at $29.99. Basically, the deal is still active but consider it YMMV. Make sure to to ring the game up at a register regardless of what the price tag or shelf tag might say.

---------------------------------

I know this deal has been mentioned (i.e., buried) in at least three other threads, but I thought it deserved a thread of its own. That way, no one misses it.

Target has Cooking Mama for Wii for $19.99. It's currently sold out online, but you can use the link below (thanks Daisydog) to find a local Target that has the game in stock.

http://www.target.com/Cooking-Mama-Cook-Off-Nintendo/dp/B000KUHR8S

This deal wasn't advertised, so it's hard to say if it's a price drop, a sale, etc. But it's not a clearance and it's not YMMV. If your store has it in stock, it will ring up at $19.99. That said, if you're really interested in the game, it's probably best you buy it by Saturday just in case it's a one-week temporary sale.

[quote name='shrike4242']When the heck did the local inventory checking happen at Target? :whistle2:s

Their website just went from semi-useless to useful.[/QUOTE]
LOL, I think they have had it for a little while...problem is that most of their stuff is
"online only" or so it says...

[quote name='Jewelz23']LOL, I think they have had it for a little while...problem is that most of their stuff is
"online only" or so it says...[/quote]According to the website, it's at every single Target I'd go to with any regularity, so we'll see what happens tonight.

[quote name='D. Monic']That said, if you're really interested in the game, it's probably best you buy it by Saturday just in case it's a one-week temporary sale.[/quote]
It's the new regular price for the game, at Target at least. I just got back from my local Target and they have normal shelf tags made up and I confirmed it (as much as you can) with the Electronics staff that it was the normal price and in no way a sale.

i'm going to try to buy this tonight.

19.99 is the price this should have been at when it came out.

Splendid, I'm gonig to swing by in a bit and grab this since it shows as in stock at the Target right up the road. I rented this from Gamefly more than 6 months ago and said I'd wait for it to hit $20 before I bought it.

For anyone who plans on going to pick this up, my Target had this in with the GH/PH games section (tagged and all, so it wasn't a stray copy) and not in the case.

After hearing people say how awful this was, I'm not sure if it;s even worth $20? I've been told the controls are just broken... is this true? Would someone who has it comment? This is one of those games I really want to like... love the DS ones.

[quote name='PleasantOne']After hearing people say how awful this was, I'm not sure if it;s even worth $20? I've been told the controls are just broken... is this true? Would someone who has it comment? This is one of those games I really want to like... love the DS ones.[/QUOTE]

My wife has both the DS and Wii version and likes them both. I find the Wii to be a bit infuriating at times (sometimes the control is pretty wonky), but overall it's good. I would guess if you like the DS, you will like the Wii. Not quite as good, but for $20, it's a steal.

RD

[quote name='shrike4242']Reviews, they're not just for kids anymore:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/cookingmamacookoff[/quote]

Meh, I trust CAGs much more than I trust critics ;)

Though that link is interesting... the reviews are so all over the place that you really don't know what to think. And then I suppose they were all written on the assumption that the game costs $50... my expectations for a $20 game are much lower than for a $50 title....

So I'm still left wondering, is it worth the $20? I've had at least one person tell me it's not worth it at any price... anyone else?

WrestleCrap'sRD;3839388 said:
My wife has both the DS and Wii version and likes them both. I find the Wii to be a bit infuriating at times (sometimes the control is pretty wonky), but overall it's good. I would guess if you like the DS, you will like the Wii. Not quite as good, but for $20, it's a steal.

RD

Thanks, RD :) If your wife enjoys the DS version and likes the Wii version, then I probably would enjoy the Wii version too... perhaps I will pick it up. Thanks for your impressions :)

[quote name='PleasantOne']Meh, I trust CAGs much more than I trust critics ;)

Though that link is interesting... the reviews are so all over the place that you really don't know what to think. And then I suppose they were all written on the assumption that the game costs $50... my expectations for a $20 game are much lower than for a $50 title....

So I'm still left wondering, is it worth the $20? I've had at least one person tell me it's not worth it at any price... anyone else?[/quote]I agree, reviews are only good as the critics that write them, though with the Metacritic link, you'll see stuff across the map.

The GameSpy review seems to be reasonably accurate, and with the $50 pricetag figured into all the reviews. From that one, it seems like it's worth tossing $30 at it.

I will have to grab a copy. Rented it once and said if the game hits $20 I will buy it. Seems like all stores will follow suit soon (possible universal pricedrop?).

This is excellent news! wifey has always wanted this game (she loves cooking) and ever since Rachel Ray talked about it on the Food Network, as well as Oprah... fogetaboutit.

At least she'll forget about my recent PS3 purchase :bouncy:

[quote name='cuco33']This is excellent news! wifey has always wanted this game (she loves cooking) and ever since Rachel Ray talked about it on the Food Network, as well as Oprah... fogetaboutit.

At least she'll forget about my recent PS3 purchase :bouncy:[/quote]
Well if Oprah anf Rachel sing its praises, then I should stay away from it completly.

Thanks OP! I ran over to Target to find plenty of copies in the case tagged $49.99. I had the guy scan it and it came up $19.99 (he was quite surprised).

Snagged one and took the higher priced unopened copy I bought last week from Wal-mart back for a refund.

I rented this game and I am one of those people that thing the motion controls are FUBARed. Just about the only thing that worked great was chopping/cutting. However whenever you had to peel something... good god I wanted to kill the "cooking mama". Playing multiplayer was even more infuriating when you are really fighting the controls rather than just playing the game. I prefaced this by saying I rented it, and I returned the week rental after about 2 days (this was when blockbuster gave you a free game rental a month so no big deal). Maybe it takes longer to really get the controls down pat but it wasnt for me. If you are planning this as a party game or something, any new person WILL get frustrated at the controls because they will inevitably burn whatever they are cooking.

Seems opinions vary wildly and mine is at one end of that spectrum.

Um, the web site says it is $29.99. Did they just raise it this evening or something? Otherwise I'm surprised no one else reported this unless it is just a special price for me ;). I see a couple of Targets near me have it, but I ain't buying it for $29.99.

Veronica Mars - when did you scan the $29.99 copy? Maybe it changed Weds afternoon or something.

[quote name='io']

Veronica Mars - when did you scan the $29.99 copy? Maybe it changed Weds afternoon or something.[/quote]

Earlier Today.

Probs around 3-5 afternoon.

I got the last copy on the shelf at the Asheville, NC Target for 20 bucks (when they said limited availability on the website, they meant it! I felt lucky since I live an hour away.) Yeah, some of the motions are kind of hit or miss (getting it to recognize the tapping motion while grating frustrates me the most), but I'm pretty happy for 20 bucks. 30 ain't bad either, but I'm definitely glad I didn't pay 50. I'm surprised the price came down at all, I guess Majesco got enough money from it to stay afloat.

[quote name='io']Um, the web site says it is $29.99. Did they just raise it this evening or something? Otherwise I'm surprised no one else reported this unless it is just a special price for me ;). I see a couple of Targets near me have it, but I ain't buying it for $29.99.

Veronica Mars - when did you scan the $29.99 copy? Maybe it changed Weds afternoon or something.[/quote]
I was at my store around 6:00PM and saw it over in the "cheap games" isle. They had one of those "price cut" shelf barcodes right below it and it said $19.99. It must've just dropped on Monday because last Sunday when I was there it was still $29.99.

[quote name='Chitown021']I was at my store around 6:00PM and saw it over in the "cheap games" isle. They had one of those "price cut" shelf barcodes right below it and it said $19.99. It must've just dropped on Monday because last Sunday when I was there it was still $29.99.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I'm wondering if it dropped by mistake and is now back up again. Did the web site ever say $19.99? I guess we'll find out in the AM (it is still "night" for me at 4 am ;), need to head to bed, AFTER I play Puzzle Quest for a bit that is).

[quote name='io']Yeah, but I'm wondering if it dropped by mistake and is now back up again. Did the web site ever say $19.99? I guess we'll find out in the AM (it is still "night" for me at 4 am ;), need to head to bed, AFTER I play Puzzle Quest for a bit that is).[/quote]

When I clicked on the link in the OP yesterday it said $19.99. I might have to stop by my store again this evening and see if it changed back.

Hoping someone can confirm the price on this before I head out there tomorrow. For $20, my girlfriend would be thrilled :) Also, anyone know if Ghost Squad is still $10 at Target?

Thanks, OP.

I picked a copy up today ~ 4:45 PM and it was $19.99. There were 4 copies when I went there and they were in the "cheap games" aisle (not in the glass case).

[quote name='PRMega']Hoping someone can confirm the price on this before I head out there tomorrow. For $20, my girlfriend would be thrilled :) Also, anyone know if Ghost Squad is still $10 at Target?[/quote]

Ghost Squad is YMMV. It scans "out of the system" so it depends on the employees working there to decide what price you'll pay (if they're willing to sell it in the first place).

Finally got around to picking up my copy tonight. It was still in the glass case and the shelf tag read $29.99, but it rang up at $19.99. All is right with the world.

[quote name='D. Monic']Finally got around to picking up my copy tonight. It was still in the glass case and the shelf tag read $29.99, but it rang up at $19.99. All is right with the world.[/quote]Always nice to see when the OP of a deal gets their piece of the deal. :D

[quote name='io']Yeah, but I'm wondering if it dropped by mistake and is now back up again. Did the web site ever say $19.99? I guess we'll find out in the AM (it is still "night" for me at 4 am ;), need to head to bed, AFTER I play Puzzle Quest for a bit that is).[/quote]

The website did say $19.99 before I went yesterday.

bread's done
Back