Cool Spot for Genesis $9.99 at Gamestop!

[quote name='ackbar7']Doesn't it depend on what you want to play? Both were excellent consoles, with no clear winner, though Genesis did out sell the SNES.[/QUOTE]

Just like now it was personal choice. The SNES had better graphics for sure but the SEGA Genesis always seemed to be faster with controls that worked. I broke so many SNES controllers. I'd hit a button on that shitty controller and nothing would happen. I rarely had that issue with the Genesis. Having said that there were millions of people who just had a feel for the SNES. If you put Street Fighter side by side on both systems the SNES was beautiful.

[quote name='Mr.']Don't you mean the opposite? I'm not sure how accurate IGN's numbers are, but 49 million SNES to 29 million Genesis.
http://retro.ign.com/articles/965/965032p1.html[/QUOTE]

I recall the Genesis crushed the SNES out of the gate. When Street Fighter hit the SNES, Nintendo picked up major steam and took over after that.

[quote name='super_dawn']AGREED! :D ...cool spot, what a great game! I had over a good 100 games for the genesis and segacd. Loved the first TJ&E...probably one of my favorites along with Sword of Vermillion.[/QUOTE]

Bbbbig Earl! I loved that game. I bought it a couple of years ago for the Wii Virtual Console. It brought back a lot of great memories. We used to play that all the time senior year of college when it first came out.

[quote name='padlok']I recall the Genesis crushed the SNES out of the gate. When Street Fighter hit the SNES, Nintendo picked up major steam and took over after that.[/QUOTE]
Also worth noting that Genesis sales were mostly dependent on the US and Europe, as Japan didn't really care for the console compared to the Super Famicom. Both it and the PC Engine were beating out the Mega Drive over in Japan.

Either way, growing up with both an SNES and a Genesis was the best thing ever.

God I loved Cool Spot when I was a kid. What a fun game trying to get all the other spots!

Also, the Genesis came out well before the SNES, so it of course took the early lead since the 8bit NES was so outdated by then. But when the SNES came out it blew the Genesis away in color palette and other things. But I remember that all the sports games were better on the Genesis for some reason, so I was glad I had it already.

Ah, I remember Cool Spot. I even still own my copy, along with my Genesis. I may have to break it out this afternoon and give it another shot- it'll probably be a lot easier now that I'm not... *Checks release date* Holy **** I was three when I played it for the first time? o_O

[quote name='bobbytastic']
oh, and castle of illusion + world of illusion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> epic mickey, but still not as good as mickey mania, just sayin'.[/quote]

fixed.

Never expected a SNES/Genesis flame war. Nice to know in 20 years we'll all still be debating PS3 Vs 360 at the drop of a hat. :)

[quote name='ackbar7']Doesn't it depend on what you want to play? Both were excellent consoles, with no clear winner, though Genesis did out sell the SNES.[/QUOTE]

This is a quote from an article on IGN from 2009:

"Nintendo moved 49.1 million Super NES consoles over the course of the generation and beyond, far surpassing the Genesis, which sold a still impressive 29 million units."

Those are worldwide numbers; it was a bit closer in the US.

And a link for those who care:

http://retro.ign.com/articles/965/965032p1.html

MjC

[quote name='zane_7849']Never expected a SNES/Genesis flame war. Nice to know in 20 years we'll all still be debating PS3 Vs 360 at the drop of a hat. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes!

[quote name='kburns10']fixed.[/QUOTE]

Conceded.

And I can only imagine debates in 20 years by us/children who were little when the 360/PS3 came out.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']Conceded.

And I can only imagine debates in 20 years by us/children who were little when the 360/PS3 came out.[/QUOTE]

I'm more dreading when I try to explain to kids someday what my Sega Genesis is! My 8 year old cousins had never touched one before and I'm sure my kids will react like I did when I first saw Pong: laugh.

[quote name='Abeja']Remember this game too. It was pretty fun.

Also,loved Zombie Ate My Neighbors. Great game. Had it for SNES.

Another game that I loved for Genesis was General Chaos. GENESIS EXCLUSIVE BABY!! Probably my favorite Genesis game besides ToeJam and Earl.[/QUOTE]

Me and a friend would play General Chaos for hours. That game was the shit.

[quote name='kburns10']I'm more dreading when I try to explain to kids someday what my Sega Genesis is! My 8 year old cousins had never touched one before and I'm sure my kids will react like I did when I first saw Pong: laugh.[/QUOTE]
Kids today don't know what a good game is. The Genesis and SNES had great gameplay before graphics and gimmicks were all developers cared about. Not that there aren't many examples of excellent games on modern platforms, it was just something else to have a game hold up well without a photo-realistic picture.

[quote name='Squall835']Me and a friend would play General Chaos for hours. That game was the shit.[/QUOTE]
My one buddy and I would play Cyborg Justice for hours going player vs. player. The most fun thing to do in the PvP was to rip each others limbs off n then attempt to use them on your cyborg. We fought over the same blaster arm in ONE match for about 30 minutes the one night, both of us laughing our asses off the whole time since neither of us could get the upper hand.:lol:

Damnit, I got excited.

I've been looking for this game everywhere; don't want to shell out the $15 for a decent copy on ebay.

[quote name='kburns10']I'm more dreading when I try to explain to kids someday what my Sega Genesis is! My 8 year old cousins had never touched one before and I'm sure my kids will react like I did when I first saw Pong: laugh.[/QUOTE]

If I ever have kids and their immediate reaction to a Sega Genesis is laughter, they're getting thrown into a wall.

[quote name='Halo05']If I ever have kids and their immediate reaction to a Sega Genesis is laughter, they're getting thrown into a wall.[/QUOTE]
Child abuse FTW!!!

Is there a reason this seems like a good deal? I've got a copy for sale on my store for $10.43, with box but no manual, and free shipping. Been sitting there a few weeks.

bread's done
Back