Cop question

bigpimpin24

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Looking for some input on this certain situation with cops. So I am coming home from a night out, and I'm like 300 yards from my house. I'm at a stop sign and I need to turn left to get to my house that's on the corner. I look in the mirror and see some police lights. I wasn't paying too close attention, but I am pretty sure they were already on and he didn't turn them on when he saw me.

He's about a block away and I park outside of my house and turn my lights off while waiting in the car. He still has his lights on, then as he gets closer, he turns them off as well as his headlights. He then starts creeping slowly past my car and tries to take a peek inside. I wait for him to pass by, get out of the car and go inside my house.

I then notice he turned into the alley, and he ended up coming around the block. I'm looking through the window inside my house and he passes again. It's like 3:30 AM so I'm sure he's looking to pull someone over or something.

Anyway, I didn't do anything for him to be able to pull me over. He could probably have got away with saying I didn't make a complete stop at the stop sign. So, is there anything they can do to you if you park outside your house and go inside?

Trust me, if he was going to write you a ticket he'd knock on your door. As long as you don't put the pedal down and try to shake them, they'll forgive you for driving a little before you actually pull over. They'll put the wailer on if you drive too long and they feel the need to kinda say "Yeah, I'm telling YOU to pull over!"

He might have been in the neighborhood looking for somebody, saw you acting suspicious, and just kept going.

Yeah, if the lights were already on, odds are they just got a call for a suspicious person in the area or something like that. You just drove through and got out so he was looking to see if you matched the description or whatever.

Or he was just watching to see if you were stumbling when you got out of the car to see if you were driving drunk etc. No way to no for sure what he was looking for.

But nothing to worry about after the fact in any case.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']He might have been in the neighborhood looking for somebody, saw you acting suspicious, and just kept going.[/QUOTE]

That's it - they just got a call on something suspicious and were following it up. If they didn't stop you, you're fine.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Trust me, if he was going to write you a ticket he'd knock on your door.[/QUOTE]

This was pretty much what I was looking to find out. I've always wondered about this certain situation. They have the right to enter your home if there is probable cause, right? Does that apply to things like running a stop sign though? Would they still need a warrant to enter your house or what?

Thanks for the responses. The area I live in isn't too nice and I am always worried when it comes to cops. I've seen them do some questionable things a few times, just because they could.

No running a stop sign wouldn't be enough to enter your house. It's enough for them to knoxck on the door though. But of course not something they could kick the door in etc.

bread's done
Back