Costco $10 Wii and DS Game Sale Starts Tomorrow

bojay1997

CAGiversary!
Feedback
0 (50%)
Just a heads up for Costco members, starting tomorrow, the $14.99 holiday selection of Wii and DS games will be $10 no coupon required. I checked out a few of the displays at a local store yesterday and there were a few good titles like Wizard of Oz for the DS, Gunblade NY for Wii, Little King's Story for Wii and Sonic Collection for the DS. Lots of crappy shovelware as well, but there are some gems hidden in there that make for great stocking stuffers.

Costco recently stopped giving out coupons. The coupon book is now an ad and all "coupons" are automatically taken off at the register. I'll keep an eye out for Little King's Story. Thanks Bojay.

[quote name='Penguin1084']i'd be down for sonic collection on ds for $10[/QUOTE]

I thought the same but the reviews seem to indicate its not the best emulation of the games. Plus I have the Sonic collections on GameCube. I know that's not the same as portable. But I guess between that and the availability of Rush/Rush Adventure/Colors on DS I can have my fill of Sonic, old, portable, and otherwise.

[quote name='kodave']I thought the same but the reviews seem to indicate its not the best emulation of the games. Plus I have the Sonic collections on GameCube. I know that's not the same as portable. But I guess between that and the availability of Rush/Rush Adventure/Colors on DS I can have my fill of Sonic, old, portable, and otherwise.[/QUOTE]

The port for sonic is not very good I paid full price for it and felt kinda ripped off. If i had to do it over again I would think twice even at 10 bucks.

There's something to keep in mind for Sonic-- the emulation is much better when played on a DSi, speed wise. It uses the DSi processor to enhance the emulation.
For ten dollars, if you don't homebrew and you're looking for handheld Sonic, it's not a bad deal. I definitely want Gunblade for the Wii though.

[quote name='emg28']Costco recently stopped giving out coupons. The coupon book is now an ad and all "coupons" are automatically taken off at the register. I'll keep an eye out for Little King's Story. Thanks Bojay.[/QUOTE]

Not true, I worked for Costco for 9 years and here's the skinny: Only one coupon needs to be scanned to take off all of the coupon discounts. Each coupon has the same general barcode, and there is no differentiation between coupons. That said, each warehouse has a different coupon policy, and this can vary from region to region, or even within the same city. Annoyingly, this is up to the warehouse manager's discretion. Some warehouses require you to just bring the book with you and the cashier will scan one of their coupons at the register. Some require you to pull out one coupon to hand to the cashier. Some require you to hand over all the coupon items you are getting to the cashier. And some require nothing at all, and the cashier scans their coupon for every transaction.

Check your local warehouse, but a good rule of thumb is to either bring your book with you or pick up a copy at membership.

[quote name='Archgarth']Some warehouses require you to just bring the book with you and the cashier will scan one of their coupons at the register. Some require you to pull out one coupon to hand to the cashier. Some require you to hand over all the coupon items you are getting to the cashier. And some require nothing at all, and the cashier scans their coupon for every transaction.

Check your local warehouse, but a good rule of thumb is to either bring your book with you or pick up a copy at membership.[/QUOTE]

This is interesting to hear, because I used to be able to just hand them one coupon but they changed that up a few months back. I overheard one customer arguing with a cashier about it recently and the cashier said that it was legal wording in the customer's membership agreement that required the surrender of all applicable coupons at purchase. It seems from what you are saying that he just made up some BS ;). They also never have them available at the membership counter any more. I renewed a little late and didn't get the last book and they wouldn't even give me one because of that.

But, having said that, I did not get a coupon book this month either (1 1/2 months after renewing). Are we supposed to have one already?

But sometimes they do have instant savings deals where coupons are not necessary. Is this DS/Wii sale one of those or does it require the coupon book? If it is the latter, then it might be a pain for me considering I haven't gotten the book yet.

[quote name='io']This is interesting to hear, because I used to be able to just hand them one coupon but they changed that up a few months back. I overheard one customer arguing with a cashier about it recently and the cashier said that it was legal wording in the customer's membership agreement that required the surrender of all applicable coupons at purchase. It seems from what you are saying that he just made up some BS ;). They also never have them available at the membership counter any more. I renewed a little late and didn't get the last book and they wouldn't even give me one because of that.

But, having said that, I did not get a coupon book this month either (1 1/2 months after renewing). Are we supposed to have one already?

But sometimes they do have instant savings deals where coupons are not necessary. Is this DS/Wii sale one of those or does it require the coupon book? If it is the latter, then it might be a pain for me considering I haven't gotten the book yet.[/QUOTE]
I was at the Wilsonville warehouse late last month and they handed me a coupon book without delay upon a simple request. They changed that now?

[quote name='Archgarth']Not true, I worked for Costco for 9 years and here's the skinny: Only one coupon needs to be scanned to take off all of the coupon discounts. Each coupon has the same general barcode, and there is no differentiation between coupons. That said, each warehouse has a different coupon policy, and this can vary from region to region, or even within the same city. Annoyingly, this is up to the warehouse manager's discretion. Some warehouses require you to just bring the book with you and the cashier will scan one of their coupons at the register. Some require you to pull out one coupon to hand to the cashier. Some require you to hand over all the coupon items you are getting to the cashier. And some require nothing at all, and the cashier scans their coupon for every transaction.

Check your local warehouse, but a good rule of thumb is to either bring your book with you or pick up a copy at membership.[/QUOTE]

Just as a note, the Wii deal is NOT a coupon. It is just listed in the coupon book so you do not need to bring it to get the deal.

But, in general for coupons, all you'd need to do is bring in one of the barcodes and it is good for all the coupons in the book.

Personally, I'm hoping that there are still copies of Okami sitting around.

Guys, this coupon debate is interesting, but I have the November book in front of me and the $10 games do not require a coupon this year. There is a symbol and a note on the listing saying no coupon required and no quantity limit. In years past, a coupon was needed, but obviously not this year.

[quote name='eau']I was at the Wilsonville warehouse late last month and they handed me a coupon book without delay upon a simple request. They changed that now?[/QUOTE]

I dunno man, but that's the one I go to. I guess it just depends on the employee. I hate that sort of YMMV treatment when they make it sound like corporate rules :bomb:.

It turns out I do have the coupon book for this month though - my wife just didn't tell me we got it. I guess it doesn't matter on this deal anyway.

I'd be all over Little King's Story if I didn't get that from an Amazon DotD like a year ago (and have yet to play it). I did notice that at the store a while back though and thought $15 was pretty good for it. I'll be curious to see what other games CAGs find.

[quote name='Archgarth']Not true, I worked for Costco for 9 years and here's the skinny: Only one coupon needs to be scanned to take off all of the coupon discounts. Each coupon has the same general barcode, and there is no differentiation between coupons. That said, each warehouse has a different coupon policy, and this can vary from region to region, or even within the same city. Annoyingly, this is up to the warehouse manager's discretion. Some warehouses require you to just bring the book with you and the cashier will scan one of their coupons at the register. Some require you to pull out one coupon to hand to the cashier. Some require you to hand over all the coupon items you are getting to the cashier. And some require nothing at all, and the cashier scans their coupon for every transaction.

Okay. Let me amend that. At my Costco, you don't need the coupons to get the discount. On our last visit, my wife had a stack of coupons and when we got the total she handed the coupons to the cashier and we were told that the coupons were not necessary. I guess the cashiers scan their coupon before every transaction. So YMMV.

I would so pick up Little King's Story, La Machineguns/NY Gunblade for the Wii, and Sonic Classic Collection for the DS!

I remember playing NY Gunblade in the arcades when I was younger. It was so much fun with the over powered gun attachment that would make my hands and arms hurt from all the shaking.

I couldn't find any major reviewers like IGN, Gamespot, or Gametrailers reviews on Sonic Classic Collection. I picked up Sega Genesis Collection on the PSP for portable gaming that covers Sonic 1 and 2. I also have Sonic Mega Collection for the Gamecube.

Is it worth it just for Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and the artwork? I mean is the emulation bad in those three games?

[quote name='emg28']Okay. Let me amend that. At my Costco, you don't need the coupons to get the discount. On our last visit, my wife had a stack of coupons and when we got the total she handed the coupons to the cashier and we were told that the coupons were not necessary. I guess the cashiers scan their coupon before every transaction. So YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, some will scan the coupon for you if you don't have it. Some are anal and want you to rip them out.

Then some have self-serve checkouts where you don't have to deal with that crap.

Two questions about Sonic:
1) Can I save-state like the collection on PS3/Xbox?
2) Can I use the lock-on tech unlike the PS3/Xbox collection?

[quote name='Chocoburger']Two questions about Sonic:
1) Can I save-state like the collection on PS3/Xbox?
2) Can I use the lock-on tech unlike the PS3/Xbox collection?[/QUOTE]

According to the IGN review:

1) But the two player was stripped out of Sonic 2, and the "save your game anywhere" feature doesn't actually save the game at the moment it was selected – it just kicks you back to the start of the level that you were playing.

2) The compilation is four games: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles, with the additional "lock-on" element of playing Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

Picked 8 games today

Little King Story (Wii)
Kids Adventures Sky Captains (wii)
Fire Fighter (wii)
Gunblades Collection (wii)

Kiwi (DS)
Sonic Collection (DS)
Wizard of Oz (DS)
Run Factory 2 (DS)

All for $86.XX after taxes :)

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']There's something to keep in mind for Sonic-- the emulation is much better when played on a DSi, speed wise. It uses the DSi processor to enhance the emulation.
For ten dollars, if you don't homebrew and you're looking for handheld Sonic, it's not a bad deal. I definitely want Gunblade for the Wii though.[/QUOTE]

I still get slow down on my DSi. Plus the squished screen is just off for me.

I got excited that they might stock up for this. Grab a bunch of ds games for the kids' christmas, and such. They had a full endcap of wii games, and only one single copy of Little Mermaid for DS, which has been there for about a year.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I still get slow down on my DSi. Plus the squished screen is just off for me.[/QUOTE]
I didn't notice that, though admittedly I only played through Sonic 3 on the compilation. Was there a specific game with the slowdown?

EDIT: I just played through the two acts of Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic 2 on a DS Lite and a DSi just to make sure I wasn't tripping. There is slowdown present while playing on a DS Lite that just simply wasn't there during the DSi playthrough. I'm sure there's still instances of slowdown since emulation, especially practically all of Sega's emulation, isn't perfect, but I just wanted to make sure people know the experience is better on a DSi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up the only(last?) copy of Little King's Story for $9.99. They had one copy of Okami Wii left as well but I didn't take it.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I didn't notice that, though admittedly I only played through Sonic 3 on the compilation. Was there a specific game with the slowdown?

EDIT: I just played through the two acts of Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic 2 on a DS Lite and a DSi just to make sure I wasn't tripping. There is slowdown present while playing on a DS Lite that just simply wasn't there during the DSi playthrough. I'm sure there's still instances of slowdown since emulation, especially practically all of Sega's emulation, isn't perfect, but I just wanted to make sure people know the experience is better on a DSi.[/QUOTE]

On both my dsi units (reg and XL) i get slow down in emerald hill. Plus the game is a little squished (top to bottom). Just to make sure I was not crazy i compared it to the ps3 sonic collection and my game cube sonic collection.

[quote name='gojiboy']Just picked up the only(last?) copy of Little King's Story for $9.99. They had one copy of Okami Wii left as well but I didn't take it.[/QUOTE]

I have okami on ps2 and wii. To me the ps2 version is the better of the two. The Wii version does have wide screen however.

Picked up Gunblade and Space Bust-a-Move DS (for my paddle controller!). They still had some Little King Story. Now I feel stupid for picking it up from Costco when it was $15... because I still haven't touched it >_

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Picked up Little King's Story and Gunblade. Also saw Okami and Firefighters[/QUOTE]

Oh shit. Might have to go in for Gunblade and Firefighters.

[quote name='bojay1997']Guys, this coupon debate is interesting, but I have the November book in front of me and the $10 games do not require a coupon this year. There is a symbol and a note on the listing saying no coupon required and no quantity limit. In years past, a coupon was needed, but obviously not this year.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I have the same book in my car. Read it several times before I go to Costco on Saturday, no coupon require, no quantity limit.

In fact the everytime, I buy something from Costco that has a coupon and I try handing it over to the cashier, the cashier waves it off. He/she tells me the savings are automatic.

[quote name='z3razerviper']On both my dsi units (reg and XL) i get slow down in emerald hill. Plus the game is a little squished (top to bottom). Just to make sure I was not crazy i compared it to the ps3 sonic collection and my game cube sonic collection.

I have okami on ps2 and wii. To me the ps2 version is the better of the two. The Wii version does have wide screen however.[/QUOTE]
That's weird. I swear to God I'm not getting slowdown on my DSi. DS, yeah noticeable slowdown (though I wouldn't call it horrible, nor would I say it's soul crushingly terrible that spending 10.00 on it would be the most horrible idea ever)

The squished screens do suck, but aside from remaking them, I'm not sure what they could have done. Is homebrew emulating on DS better than Sega's efforts on this front?

Originally, Costco had changed their coupon policy to not require physical clipping of the coupons....which is why they all have the same barcode. A cashier told me that manufacturers had complained about the coupons not being collected, though, so they generally want them cut out now.

Great now I can get some gifts for my little cousins. Great deal and no lines to fight like on Black Friday.

[quote name='coflsilk']Originally, Costco had changed their coupon policy to not require physical clipping of the coupons....which is why they all have the same barcode. A cashier told me that manufacturers had complained about the coupons not being collected, though, so they generally want them cut out now.[/QUOTE]

YEah, I've seen them do different things, depending on the cashier and its changed over time. Last weekend when I went to costco they took the coupon out without me even havin the book. Sometime back they used to insist on tearing out the coupons. Those coupons are so small and its a pain to tear out .
But I think Costco is pretty efficiency conscious, so to have the checkout lines be stuck for people tearing out coupons is a big loss.. That's probably whey they want to avoid this time wasting ritual and just scan the coupons behind the counter.

This is kinda random but; I like Costco it just feels they're behind in the times a little. BJs has self-checkout lanes and express lanes to make checking out a bit speedier. Whenever I go to Costco I usually only get 1 or 2 things, and it's annoying to have to wait 10 minutes behind someone with 2 overloaded shopping carts. /Rant over

[quote name='gojiboy']This is kinda random but; I like Costco it just feels they're behind in the times a little. BJs has self-checkout lanes and express lanes to make checking out a bit speedier. Whenever I go to Costco I usually only get 1 or 2 things, and it's annoying to have to wait 10 minutes behind someone with 2 overloaded shopping carts. /Rant over[/QUOTE]

No arguments there. I usually have the same problem, but as long as I go right when they open at 11 it's not too bad. Any later than that though and it's a hassle. My main problem with Costco is their random selection. They carry a product for a long time and suddenly next time you go it has disappeared. I've been buying these chipotle burgers there for the last 3 months and have gotten hooked on them. Last week when I went they were nowhere to be seen, and furthermore no staff could tell me what happened. To make matters worse no other store seems to carry them :(

[quote name='gojiboy']This is kinda random but; I like Costco it just feels they're behind in the times a little. BJs has self-checkout lanes and express lanes to make checking out a bit speedier. Whenever I go to Costco I usually only get 1 or 2 things, and it's annoying to have to wait 10 minutes behind someone with 2 overloaded shopping carts. /Rant over[/QUOTE]

That being said, I dont think Costco is really intended for the 1-2 item customer. It is a warehouse after all. But unless I go to my closest Costco on a Saturday, I usually dont have to wait too long in lines.

BTW: Picked up a copy of Little King's Story. Was *thisclose* to getting We Cheer 2, but ultimately passed.

bread's done
Back