Costco ~ Studio Ghibli~ Various DVD's ~$12.99~

skiizim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
119 (100%)
I was making the rounds at Costco earlier today and came across a ton of Studio Ghibli films for $12.99. I borrowed this list from adrian42677 on Blu-Ray.com. I figured a few of you might be interested whether it was blu-ray or not.

Castle In The Sky - $12.99
The Cat Returns - $12.99
Howl's Moving Castle - $12.99
Kiki's Delivery Service - $12.99
My Neighbor Totoro - $12.99
My Neighbors The Yamadas - $12.99
Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind - $12.99
Ponyo - $12.99
Porco Rosso - $12.99
Spirited Away - $12.99
Tales From Earthsea - $12.99
Whisper Of The Heart - $12.99

Castle in the Sky, Totoro, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away, Kiki, and Naussica are all good. Though really, you can't go wrong with any of them.

At this point I actually have to say I think Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite... shame these aren't blus.

Still a great price though

:D Grave of the Fireflies....... Its an upbeat romp....

Its really not, I don't really recommend it for anyone that it feeling a little down.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sycowulf']At this point I actually have to say I think Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite... shame these aren't blus.

Still a great price though[/QUOTE]

I thought they were Blurays when I saw them today, but I guess I must've thought that because of the slipcovers. I swear they were Blurays. Oh well.

Yeah these movies have very blu-ray-esque cases, it's fooled me more than once.

Speaking of which, yeah...these are great deals but these movies deserve blu-ray. It's just a shame that it'll take so long (and cost so much) for that to finally happen.

[quote name='J7.']I saw these today. Which are the best ones?[/QUOTE]

Start with anything directed by (Hayao) Miyazaki, the rest are good but can't compare. Spirited Away is probably the best place to jump in.

Don't forget that Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro are coming out on BD sometime later this year, and they should be combo releases.

Grave Of The Fireflies is also available on BD, though that came out a few months ago. Ponyo and Nausciaa are older BD releases as well.

Just being technical, but Grave of the Fireflies is currently licensed by Sentai Filmworks, not Disney, so you won't find it at Costco.

[quote name='shrike4242']Don't forget that Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro are coming out on BD sometime later this year, and they should be combo releases..[/QUOTE]

They're coming out May 21.

Just in case anyone's wondering here's every Ghibli film released on Blu-Ray in the US.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
(non-Disney as noted above)
My Neighbour Totoro
(out this month)
Whisper of the Heart
Howl's Moving Castle
(out this month)
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo
Secret World of Arriety

The latest, From Up on Poppy Hill, should also be out this year, having just had a theatrical run in March. Also, Miyazaki's earlier The Castle of Cagliostro was released on :br: in the UK.

Not Ghibli, but Costco has a sale on Disney movies. $5 off Wreck-it Ralph, Aristocats, Dumbo, Rescuers, and Tangled DVD. $8 off Cinderella, Peter Pan, Fox and the Hound, Wreck-it Ralph 3D, and Frankenweenie 3D Blu-rays.

[quote name='cagfansub']I looking for From Up on Poppy Hill. Wondering if anyone knows where to find this?[/QUOTE]

Japanese theaters.

[quote name='shrike4242']Don't forget that Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro are coming out on BD sometime later this year, and they should be combo releases.

Grave Of The Fireflies is also available on BD, though that came out a few months ago. Ponyo and Nausciaa are older BD releases as well.[/QUOTE]

You just made me look at my order, and I have them at $30 a piece, and rethinking it now lol

bread's done
Back