Could this have a significant value?

snotknocker

CAGiversary!
I picked up a copy of Majora's Mask for $1 at a yardsale this weekend.
I was about to open it up and clean when I noticed "NOT FOR RESALE" on the front. Then on the back there was this sticker.

1001386sz7.jpg

1001387ep5.jpg

Now I know it's a store demo, but I have never seen a N64 game with "not for resale" let alone a property of Nintendo sticker. Also if you notice at the top of the sticker there is something underneath, it's about 1/16" thick - I have no idea what it could be. I looked on ebay and saw a NFR Mario Kart and the guy was looking for $450 with BIN.

Does anyone know anything about these demos and if they have any significant value?

Nah. I had a friend with a bunch of these NOT FOR RESALE games for SNES -- they are the full game, they are just the ones crammed in the old kiosks...

Nowadays, there's demo discs, and downloadable titles (like what you see on the PS3 kiosks) back then it just used to be one full title. I remember whoring Super Mario 64 when it was at TRU. I remember riding a bike 5 miles from my grandmas just to go play said kiosk...

I've seen Pokemon Stadium with the Not For Resale sticker on front, so Majora's Mask is definitely not the only one to feature that. It is the first time I've seen a game with that sticker on the back-my conjecture on that is that the sticker is there because Nintendo reps were fed up with store employees running off with demo kiosk games, so they wanted an extra layer of security/accountability. I'm guessing that a Nintendo rep probably filled out that information you see on the back, and that the little protrusion is a security tag. It definitely looks like one.

Majora's Mask seems to be fetching more on eBay right now anyway, going by the completed listings, so perhaps you'll get a decent amount for it.

yeah.. specially since its the non-holographic one. people dont realise that its more uncommon. and it does say Not for Resale infront of the game. this game sells for jack atm.. i'd hold on to it for awhile unless another NFR surfaces..

you could ask the guys at digitpress.com to find out.

i don't know about Majora's Mask, but i sold my Not For Resale copy of Ocarina of Time for $365 five years ago on Ebay. the Toys R Us that i worked at was just going to throw it away, so i offered the princely sum of 4 bucks for it and took it home. it was a limited build of the game -- when you booted it up, it stated that it was a demo on the title screen and you were only able to play a sample portion, for a limited time.

the reason Nintendo demo/promo carts are so valuable is their limited production and distribution. cartridges were expensive to produce and as such, were really only available to retail outlets for their kiosks. historically, Nintendo asked stores to return these cartridges, after which they were destroyed. only a few make their way into the wild, and this makes them rare and often valuable. even now, DS demo titles still fetch a decent amount, ranging anywhere from $30-$150 or more, depending on the title. i think they'd be more valuable, but a lot more of them seem to be appearing "in the wild" than old NES/SNES and N64 cartridges.

i've got a decent collection of SNES, Genesis, 32X, Game Boy/Color/Advance and N64 demos packed away, along with some official Nintendo VCDs (video cd); personally, i think they're neat and an interesting part of video game history. i regret selling my Ocarina of Time, as i really didn't need the money and now i miss having it in my collection.

if you want some fast and decent cash, sell it, but if you want something in your collection that even some of the most hardcore Zelda fans don't have or can't find, i suggest you hang onto it.

i don't have any other pics up at the moment, but here's my Pokemon Snap that i picked up this year (it has since been cleaned! ;)) :

It's probably worth something to the Zelda collectors. The only difference from the retail release may be just be different label and a sticker slapped on the back but some demo copies can go for a lot of money. I've seen the SNES Street Fighter demo and some of the others go for $40-$60. And the demo versions of Wario Land and Red Alarm for Virtual Boy easily go for $60 too.

Put it up on Ebay and see what you can get for it.

Play it a bit and check for any differences between it and the standard version. I have an excitebike 64 demo myself, main differences I can tell between the 2 are a screen stating the demo is a demo, and that on the demo most tracks and riders seem to be unlocked from the beginning.

If it's just the normal game than it won't be worth crap...

But if it really is a kiosk demo then it might be worth something or nothing. It varies... sometimes a lot of these kiosk demos are available and other times, they're nearly impossible to come by.

actually, just the label alone makes the cart valuable. it matters very little as to whether or not it's a full game, but really, most all Nintendo demo carts are different within the code itself. i'm almost certain you'll find a "demo title screen", at the very least.

It would probably go for around $40-50 on eBay, maybe more. Some NFRS carts don't sell for much more than the normal version, while others, such as Perfect Dark, tend to reach around $100.

bread's done
Back