Could you live with your self if the first band you saw live was ...

sblymnlcrymnl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (99%)
Ok, so there's a free "Rock the Vote" concert in Westport tonight, and PotUSoA is the headliner. Authority Zero is also playing.

I've never gone to a concert before (sad, I know). It's always either too expensive or I can't get anyone to go with me, since most of my friends have shitty taste in music.

So, should I go and have to live with my tarnished record, or should I sit at home all night?

EDIT:
Ok, ok, I'm going. I didn't want to sit around playing games all night again anyway.

Just go, seeing a bad band can be just as fun as seeing a good band. The second time I saw the band Pigface, the opening band was Gravity Kills. I didn't enjoy the music. I did, however, enjoy heckling and throwing trash at the band. A concert is only as fun as you make it.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Ok, so there's a free "Rock the Vote" concert in Westport tonight, and PotUSoA is the headliner. Authority Zero is also playing.

I've never gone to a concert before (sad, I know). It's always either too expensive or I can't get anyone to go with me, since most of my friends have shitty taste in music.

So, should I go and have to live with my tarnished record, or should I sit at home all night?[/quote]

My first was some Slayer concert.. seriously man, it doesn't matter.

My first concert was Rod Stewart.... so you can't possibly get much worse than that :p ... And no, I do not like Rod Stewart, got dragged by my parents many years ago....

dude the presidents rock! go go go!

about never having been to a concert, just go alone, its SO easy to meet new people at concerts, thats where ive met 1/2 the people i know. plus the people you meet will go to future shows with you!

I didn't know POTUSA still existed. But yeah, it's not a big deal, just go. It might be fun. Maybe you'll find an unknown opening bad that might be pretty good, you never know.

Dude if you want to go just go. When you start worrying about what anyone else thinks about it you may as well stop living.
I've seen plenty of crappy free concerts in my day. (And a few crappy ones that I paid to see!!)

Well actually Authority Zero seems to be pening so they'll be the first band you see live...I dunno who Authority Zero is, but if PotUSA embaresses you then just say Authority Zero instead.

[quote name='ykryptonite13']I didn't know POTUSA still existed. But yeah, it's not a big deal, just go. It might be fun. Maybe you'll find an unknown opening bad that might be pretty good, you never know.[/quote]

Man, I was thinking the same thing.. last time I even heard of POTUSA it was probably four years ago.

Who cares, the show is free. Any time you can see live music, go for it. If you dont like that band, just hang out on the side or in the back. Plus they sing that peaches song.. if you dont like them, bring a peach and throw it at them.

I've been seeing a lot of Authority Zero played on XM. haven't been listening too closely, but not bad.
My first concert was Cavedogs/Mojo Nixon/Dead Milkmen.
I wish I had taken advantage of more of the free or cheap concerts when I went to school in Athens.

Just go and have a good time. Heck, Im 30 and even though I have been to several concerts, I have never been asked what my fist one was. You know why? It really dosen't matter. Most bands arent around that long anyway. So, alot of people's 1st concert seems lame after 2-5 years.

[quote name='dtcarson']
I wish I had taken advantage of more of the free or cheap concerts when I went to school in Athens.[/quote]

Wow mang, you're dating yourself there! In all honesty, the Cavedogs ?!? I LOVED the Cavedogs back in the day - I may have to break that out and listen to it!

Ok, well I went. There were two local bands, then Authority Zero, and then PotUSA took the stage around 10. The first band to play, Pixel Panda, fucking sucked shit, and HARD. Next up was Shots Fired, who seemed pretty good but it may have just been a contrast thing. Authority Zero was ok, not great. Finally the PotUSA come on. I'm not a fan at all, but I still really enjoyed their set. The whole audience was pretty into it and I think I heard every song that I knew (all 6 or 7 of them) plus a few new ones that weren't horrible.

The only question I have to ask now is why in the fuck would someone hold their buddy up over the crowd so the cock jockey could whip his shit out and wave it around? Un-fucking believable.

Glad you decided to go. Presidents are fun.

Anyway, I highly doubt you are going to be asked what your first concert was very often. And who cares anyway.

[quote name='cmdryuk']My first concert was Rod Stewart.... so you can't possibly get much worse than that :p ... And no, I do not like Rod Stewart, got dragged by my parents many years ago....[/quote]

Yes it does. The Spice Girls. Beat that shit. :wink:

[quote name='starman9000']Glad you decided to go. Presidents are fun.

Anyway, I highly doubt you are going to be asked what your first concert was very often. And who cares anyway.[/quote]

I actually already get asked fairly often.

[quote name='Dead of Knight'][quote name='cmdryuk']My first concert was Rod Stewart.... so you can't possibly get much worse than that :p ... And no, I do not like Rod Stewart, got dragged by my parents many years ago....[/quote]

Yes it does. The Spice Girls. Beat that shit. :wink:[/quote]

At least Victoria was hot.

Hey, I saw ABBA live on their only tour in North America. It always felt strange even though they were great performers. Actually it got surprisingly risque in places.

Don't feel too bad. My first concert was the Backstreet Boys. All my friends went and screamed like fools. I didn't really like any of them, I was like 11 and I just went with what every other girl was doing at the time. For the record, I hate them now and listen to punk.

[quote name='Dead of Knight'][quote name='cmdryuk']My first concert was Rod Stewart.... so you can't possibly get much worse than that :p ... And no, I do not like Rod Stewart, got dragged by my parents many years ago....[/quote]

Yes it does. The Spice Girls. Beat that shit. :wink:[/quote]

:supresses jealousy:

My 3rd concert was The Backstreet Boys. I think I was even younger than 11 at that time. It was before they went from teenybopper crap to true crap with their second album.

[quote name='GunCowboy']I got you all beat. My mom took me to see a Michael Jackson concert when I was six years old. Beat that.[/quote]

MJ is amazing. Thing is, whenever I think about MJ, its always in his "black days" , the 70s through the early 90s ( pre child weirdness ).

I think I have you all beat. My first concert was "Rockapella." You know, the guys behind the Carmen Sandiego theme song. I know you love it.

I'd jump at the chance to see POTUSA for free.

My first concert was Fadeout, a subpar local nu-metal band that sounded like something between Adrenline-era Deftones and Limp Bizkit. I went because it was cheap and a friend of mine recommended it. Their opener was Coge, another local band that didn't stand out, with exception of their guitarist, whose playing style kinda reminded me of Tom Morello.

Fadeout broke up about two months after the concert, and Coge went MIA. The best thing about the show was that I got Fadeout's CD for free.

[quote name='cmdryuk']My first concert was Rod Stewart.... so you can't possibly get much worse than that :p ... And no, I do not like Rod Stewart, got dragged by my parents many years ago....[/quote]

Going to a Rod Stewart show would have been pretty cool right up until the disco stuff.

One of the better applications for a time machine would be to catch some acts before they began to self-parodize themselves. As Denis Leary said on his first album, if someone had just blown Elvis Presley brains out in 1959 we'd be able to remember him in a good way.

[quote name='epobirs']Hey, I saw ABBA live on their only tour in North America. It always felt strange even though they were great performers. Actually it got surprisingly risque in places.[/quote]

I'd give a lot to see ABBA perform... I love their music.

im not the biggest concert person, my first I went too some show at a local place called lamoures where there is so much smoke in the air you cant even see the stage, it wasnt bad but it wasnt that good either

New Kids on the Block was my first concert...not to mention the next concert I went to was Celine Dion and Michael Bolton. POTUSA is a much better first concert.

[quote name='MadChedar0'][quote name='GunCowboy']I got you all beat. My mom took me to see a Michael Jackson concert when I was six years old. Beat that.[/quote]

MJ is amazing. Thing is, whenever I think about MJ, its always in his "black days" , the 70s through the early 90s ( pre child weirdness ).

I think I have you all beat. My first concert was "Rockapella." You know, the guys behind the Carmen Sandiego theme song. I know you love it.
[/quote]

You know, that reminds me of when that show came to my mall. They wee doing this Carmen Sandiego live thing that was travelling to all these malls and my mall just happened to be one. Sadly, Rockapella wasn't there - just a recording of them singing the theme song. Oh well.

Anyways, my first concert was going to see B.B. King last year at school in Athens. It was a great show and I actually got a chance to meet him after the show, get a picture, autograph, etc. A really nice guy, very personable. It was a good time.

Glad you went sblymnlcrymnl. I would have loved to have seen POTUSA.

[quote name='dtcarson']I've been seeing a lot of Authority Zero played on XM. haven't been listening too closely, but not bad.
I wish I had taken advantage of more of the free or cheap concerts when I went to school in Athens.[/quote]

Dude Mojo and the Dead Milkmen, I'm really jealous. That sounds like a great show.

My first concert was Public Enemy, which was a great show. Four solid hours of hardcore rap action, with Flava Flav. I think it damaged my hearing for life tho.

[quote name='GunCowboy']I got you all beat. My mom took me to see a Michael Jackson concert when I was six years old. Beat that.[/quote]

Oh come on, MJ kicks ass and you know it. His music, that is.

My parents went to see MJ when I was about that age, probably the same tour. They didn't take me though, obviously.

DM did rock : )

A later time I saw them at a multilevel hall [first floor dance club, second floor live music] they stopped playing , started insulting the techno-dance-machine-music-makers and Rodney tried to get us all to jump up and down at the same time to make the floor collapse on them. He was a little high and a lot bitter, I guess. For about three years I had a set list and a rubber bat from Rodney's keyboard, until they got lost in one of many moves.

RIP Dave Blood : (

Mojo Nixon was fun too; at one point during the show [he wanted the house lights on], he ran out into the seats, sat next to an older lady, and said 'Hey! I'm sittin next to your grandma!'

I saw him later on in college after Horny Holidays was released, and he forgot the second verse to one of his songs [played by request]. I was in the front of the floor and shouted the next verse to him; he asked me to repeat myself, then shook his head and said 'Nah, that line's outdated' and ad-libbed another verse [it was Don't Want a FooFoo Haircut].

I didn't know much about the Cavedogs at the time, I enjoyed them but I didn't get 'into' them. My brother did though, he bought a couple of their tapes later [Tapes are what we had to use tolisten to music before CD's.]

While I don't 'listen' to Rockapella, I will admit that they sounded talented to me.
Same with Michael Jackson. He is talented, it's sad that he's also such a FREAK.

The last concert I saw was GWAR with Watch Them Die and Bad Acid Trip opening. Both WTD and BAT sucked, imho. And GWAR was sadly disappointing; the set was short, they didn't play a lot of my favorite songs, and the stage show was kinda lame. I remember seeing them in Athens [before they got banned for three years or so], and walking by the concert hall the afternoon of the show watching them pump up Gor-Gor outside on the sidewalk. He didn't seem so tough then : )

I love a good concert, it's a shame that I'm not into much music that's still being created nowadays, and also that the closest venue for anyone decent to play is 2-4 hours away.

bread's done
Back