Couple of HDTV and PS3 questions

jskatt21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
First, what are the best type of HDMI cable to connect HDTV to PS3? I have heard monoprice, and would love to get them for that cheap, but not sure what to look for. Any recommendations from monoprice?

Second, I am wanting to get an HDTV. I am looking for one around $1000, 40 inches or bigger, and 1080p. I found one a 42inch at Best Buy, its an Insignia for $849. Sounds like a good deal, and would allow me to be able to pickup the protection plan and a tv stand for around $1000. I thought it looked comparable to others. What is your opinion of this deal? Are Vizios good? I know Samsung and others are better, just not in the position to a) afford and b) wait lol.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. ANY HDMI cable works..doesnt matter cause it is digital

2. Unless you are getting a tv bigger than 47 inches you shouldnt shell out the extra cash for 1080p cause you wont be able to tell the difference

[quote name='Malik112099']1. ANY HDMI cable works..doesnt matter cause it is digital

2. Unless you are getting a tv bigger than 47 inches you shouldnt shell out the extra cash for 1080p cause you wont be able to tell the difference[/quote]
Actually its 32 inches, you won't see a big difference, but I would definitely go for 1080p just to stay safe for the next few years, also some HDMI cables actually do look worse, but the monoprice cables are great.

I don't hear too many good things about insignia. Westinghouse seems decent along with Vizio. I just settled for a smaller size TV, but a high quality top brand Samsung so that I wouldn't regret not getting a top of the line model and replacing it later on.

I would also recommend some Vizio. They're a general brand but they're actually samsung's branch. And their quality imo is alot better compare to other brand at that level and price. If you're going to buy Vizio I really recommend buying it from Costco because they offer a free 2 years extended warranty by Costco. And so you will have 1 year from manufacture and 2years from costco. But if you can afford to wait may be should wait til Black Friday for some good deals on HDTV in general and for Brand names.

as for the 1080p difference, it is miniscule at best unless you have a big screen. I plug my ps3 into a benq 24 inch computer monitor with aspect ratio correction and i cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 720p. Most ps3 games aren't even in 1080p anyways, so whats the difference?

[quote name='udabenshen'] Most ps3 games aren't even in 1080p anyways, so whats the difference?[/QUOTE]
bluray

[quote name='luan87us']I would also recommend some Vizio. They're a general brand but they're actually samsung's branch.[/quote]
I don't know where you're getting that. Would be silly for Samsung to sue themselves. Vizio sets are manufactured by AmTram, though they get their parts from a variety of companies. Most, if not all, of their panels are supplied by LG.

[quote name='jskatt21']So is the TV I am looking at Best Buy a good deal?[/quote]
If it's good enough for you, go for it. For what it's worth, I bought my 40" Samsung LCD for $1000 (only 720p though, not that it really matters). For a $100 less you could get a 42" plasma.

Plasma is better but some may have problems with burn ins. Response time differs by brand I think but 8ms is standard and anything under that is considered good (at least for Samsungs which is what I have)

can anyone recommend me one in my price range, and am I going to have probs with burn in and are they good for PS3 gaming? I have only researched LCD so some tips or things to look for would be great.

i would highly recommend just shelling out a few hundred more to get a samsung, the quality is amazing, and after seeing a samsung, you'll laugh at all the other companys (not sony, they are about the same)

i picked up the 47 inch 47lg50 at circuit city. Pretty amazing picture quality; 1080p.

Also it was on sale when I picked it up for 1350 but was able to talk the guy down to 1100 when I said the price looked a little high.

[quote name='jskatt21']Here is a Westinghouse at Best Buy for $749.99 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8386285&type=product&id=1181831586462

Is this a good tv? And what is a good response time to get? This one is 8ms.[/quote]
8ms is fine, to me anyway. I haven't used a set with a shorter response time, so I don't know how much *better* it could look.

As for that Westy; wouldn't hurt to read a review. Looks like it's ok given the price.

[edit]

On second thought, looks like a comparable set by Vizio would be a better choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jskatt21']Ok so now to ask the next obvious question, which is better Plasma or LCD, and also what is a good response time.[/quote]

Plasma has 2 main advantages. The first is much more vibrant colors and much better color accuracy. The second is viewing angles. Generally speaking an LCD will lose fidelity the more extreme the angle. If you plan on all the viewers sitting directly in front of it then its not an issue. The one negative to Plasmas is they suck power, but so do LCDs when you get to larger sizes. Quality depends entirely on the brand rather than the set type. And dont forget about looking into what type of anti-glare coatings they have if you plan on using it in a room that gets a lot of light. Response times vary totally on what the manufacturer decides to report so i wouldnt totally trust a spec. 99% of the time its GTG (grey to grey). BTW (black to white) is much higher and usually not mentioned. I've always found that name brands tend to be more honest in their reponse time specs so keep that in mind. The biggest benefit to a name brand is quality. A poorly built TV can crap out mere years after purchase. There is no question i'd take a name brand TV with an 8ms-10ms response time over some generic thing touting a 2ms response time. The spec has basically become a bit of a joke though so in my opinion i'd ignore it completely.

With plasmas you dont have to worry about response times.

[quote name='muhsheesuh']Plasma is better but some may have problems with burn ins. Response time differs by brand I think but 8ms is standard and anything under that is considered good (at least for Samsungs which is what I have)[/quote]

I havent heard of Plasmas having Burn in issues for a couple years now. All modern ones should have some form of protection from it, but generally speaking its not the recommended type if you're going to use it as a monitor and plan on being lazy and leaving it on displaying a static image. Personally though i think the image quality advantage that Plasmas have over LCDs far outway this.

[quote name='hec204']Actually its 32 inches, you won't see a big difference, but I would definitely go for 1080p just to stay safe for the next few years[/quote]

Just to correct you, you wont see any difference at that small of a set. None. But go for 1080p anyway to "stay safe"? Is Sony going to come to your home and mug you for not using "true HD"? Your statement makes no sense. Theres absolutely no advantage to using 1080p over 720p when you cant tell a difference. The general rule of thumb is that no worthwhile advantage is noticed until you get to sets 50" and greater.

[quote name='jskatt21']Here is a Westinghouse at Best Buy for $749.99 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8386285&type=product&id=1181831586462

Is this a good tv? And what is a good response time to get? This one is 8ms.[/quote]

Westinghouse = bad. I believe thats who Best Buy outsources their instore brand [Dynex i think] to as well. Personally i'd stick with Panasonic, Samsung, Sony etc... You should have no problem finding a 42" or smaller for $900 or less. If its any help to you as well you can get 10% off coupons for BB on ebay all the time which work on TVs $400+. Just check for exclusions since i think Samsungs are often opted out of the Coupons.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know how you feel on open box items, but sometimes you can get a good deal on a nice tv just because it doesnt have a box.. I saw a 32 sharp at a CC for 550 and the only reason i didnt grab it was i just bought a open box sony 32xbr4 for 600 before tax and extendend warrenty (was alittle banged up)... good luck with what ever you decide to do

Just wait for the price you want. Plasma and LCD's are constantly on sale, and if you are patient and reasonable in your price you will get it. Just check ads every week and check online prices. Also I have heard, though I don't remember where that plasma/lcd tv's are set for a big price drop soon.

bread's done
Back