Couple of tv questions

megaseadramon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
I recently bought a 30" flat screen widescreen hdtv and when I hook up my systems to it the picture is a little pixalated. Will I need to get component cables for the systems to make the games look sharper? Im new to this like many people so help is appreciated.

Which systems? My PS2 is VERY pixelated on certain games (I'm looking at you Sly Cooper 3).

My Xbox/Xbox 360 on the other hand are gorgeous. All are either running through component or VGA.

If I wanted to get component cables, which are better, 1st party or 3rd? I have seen several 3rd party ones that work for xbox/ps2. Is there any quality differece between cables?

Getting component cables should help out a good bit but you might still notice some pixels.

This basically happens because your TV is a much higher resolution than the source image and has to make the lower res picture fit the screen. Basically, it's like image resizing in MS Paint. Color issues also amplify pixelation. With component, you'll get much better color and you'll get pro-scan with many games at least- which will help a lot.

For the PS2, get Monster cables and avoid the Sony/other 3rd party ones. MS makes great quality component cables... no need for anything else. It's not so much for the image quality as it is for bandwidth. The official cables can carry more data so you'll notice less Vsync issues (it's when the image doesn't line up properly).

[quote name='megaseadramon']I recently bought a 30" flat screen widescreen hdtv and when I hook up my systems to it the picture is a little pixalated. Will I need to get component cables for the systems to make the games look sharper? Im new to this like many people so help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]
It would help if you told us what TV you have.

Honestly, you shouldn't have much trouble with pixelation on a small screen like that. Granted, you shouldn't be using the crap composite cables that came with your system either.

bread's done
Back