CPU not running at proper speed?

dragonsho

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I was thinking of overclocking so I got CPU-Z. I have an e6850. I boot up cpuz and i see this

Can anyone tell me why my e6850 is running at 2.0 instead of 3.0? I'm going to go look through my bios (ASUS P5E) and see if I can find anything odd.

Edit:
Also, my ram is running at 400mhz even though I have it set to 800mhz in bios. Is this normal?

some motherboards have a function that will reduce the clock speed and multiplier by 2, to save power and take stress off the cpu so it wont run full blast all the time.

you can turn it off in your bios, not quite sure what the option is, but its not hard to find.

EDIT: its called cpu EIST, turn it off.

This is a power saving function that will throttle down your CPU when it's in an idle state. It doesn't hurt anything but I've read it can interfere with overclocking.

its probably happening with your ram as well, but check cpu z when you're doing work and it will go right back up to what it should be.

Also download core temp.

Thanks, that worked. I had to disable C1E also though. Temps seem to be fine like this, they're around 30.

I read that DDR2 800 is just 2x400mhz making it 800, although cpuz reports 400. It seems as though that's what most people get displayed.

[quote name='dragonsho']Thanks, that worked. I had to disable C1E also though. Temps seem to be fine like this, they're around 30.

I read that DDR2 800 is just 2x400mhz making it 800, although cpuz reports 400. It seems as though that's what most people get displayed.[/quote]

I think thats right, but mines reading 440 right now.

C1E/Speedstep are just power saving options (although sometimes also failsafes for your CPU overheating). You may not want to disable them, since it's not going to underclock your CPU when it's active. At least, in the case of EIST, unless your temps reach dangerous levels.

[quote name='dragonsho']

I read that DDR2 800 is just 2x400mhz making it 800, although cpuz reports 400. It seems as though that's what most people get displayed.[/quote]

Yeah, it's perfectly normal. An 800mhz stick of DDR2 just has its frequency double pumped to reach that speed (hence, Double Data Rate).

When you overclock, you'll want to set your FSB and RAM frequencies to the same thing in your bios, mindful of this fact. The 1:1 ratio helps with stability, although I'm sure a lot of people have their RAM higher than their FSB.

For example, you have an E6850. It starts off at a 333 FSB. That means your RAM's speed, in the bios, needs to be at a minimum of 667mhz (333mhz before double pumping).

Your CPU has a multiplier value of 9. So whatever you set the FSB speed to will get multiplied by 9 for your final speed. 333mhz x 9 = 3Ghz.

When you're overclocking and raise that FSB value to, say, 400, you'll be at 3.6Ghz. At this point you'll want to increase your RAM's base frequency to 400Mhz as well (a minimum of 800mhz in bios).

All that said, a lot of overclocker motherboards should have a simple FSB:RAM ratio you can set to do this work for you. You'll want to stick with a 1:1 ratio.

[quote name='TwistedBishop']C1E/Speedstep are just power saving options (although sometimes also failsafes for your CPU overheating). You may not want to disable them, since it's not going to underclock your CPU when it's active. At least, in the case of EIST, unless your temps reach dangerous levels.[/quote]

What?

with the cpu eist funciton "on" your cpu will be declocked and de multiplied in an idle mode, this causes tons of problems with people trying to overclock.

google it yourself.

[quote name='p00ndawg']What?

with the cpu eist funciton "on" your cpu will be declocked and de multiplied in an idle mode, this causes tons of problems with people trying to overclock.

google it yourself.[/quote]

I've read reports of it, but I've never experienced it myself. When I started overclocking I did disable them at first. However re-enabling and stress testing never showed any problems.

Edit to add: I should mention that is for after you finish with overclocking. I do disable them while sorting out what frequencies and voltages I should use.

Ya, I set everything last night and put the fsb at 400 to give me 3.6. It booted fine, but when I tried prime95 for stress testing, there was an error almost immediately. Something about it returning a 5 when 4 was expected. I think I may have had my ram freq too low.

The Core 2 CPUs have a semi well-known overclocking flaw with any FSB setting between 370-400. Something about moving into a new strap. Whatever the explanation, it was over my head. Basically it makes the CPU work a lot harder than it should.

But the recommended solution is simply to avoid that range. Either stay under 370 or go for 401+.

Personally I've never gone that high. I tried the 370-400 range and couldn't find stability, so I just settled for a 350FSB up from 266.

[quote name='TwistedBishop']Yeah, it's perfectly normal. An 800mhz stick of DDR2 just has its frequency double pumped to reach that speed (hence, Double Data Rate).

When you overclock, you'll want to set your FSB and RAM frequencies to the same thing in your bios, mindful of this fact. The 1:1 ratio helps with stability, although I'm sure a lot of people have their RAM higher than their FSB.

For example, you have an E6850. It starts off at a 333 FSB. That means your RAM's speed, in the bios, needs to be at a minimum of 667mhz (333mhz before double pumping).

Your CPU has a multiplier value of 9. So whatever you set the FSB speed to will get multiplied by 9 for your final speed. 333mhz x 9 = 3Ghz.

When you're overclocking and raise that FSB value to, say, 400, you'll be at 3.6Ghz. At this point you'll want to increase your RAM's base frequency to 400Mhz as well (a minimum of 800mhz in bios).

All that said, a lot of overclocker motherboards should have a simple FSB:RAM ratio you can set to do this work for you. You'll want to stick with a 1:1 ratio.[/quote]

Great post!

[quote name='TwistedBishop']I've read reports of it, but I've never experienced it myself. When I started overclocking I did disable them at first. However re-enabling and stress testing never showed any problems.

Edit to add: I should mention that is for after you finish with overclocking. I do disable them while sorting out what frequencies and voltages I should use.[/quote]

Yea I had problems when you're testing, but I dont think Ive heard people having problems after they find that sweet OC spot, and turning it back on.

but I know from experience that when trying to OC it causes alot of inteference, and I had huge problems trying to figure out why my computer was restarting, and why my temps were jumping constantly, as soon as I turned it off it was smooth sailing.

bread's done
Back