Craiglist sale help!

racthamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
Hi... I never sell anything on Craiglist before.. last night my friend introduce it to me. (i only do trade here on CAG)... last night I post the sale for

Nintendo DS (silver) + Pokemon carrying case + Nintendog for $100 to meet up locally i guess...or + shipping..

the person contact me via email and i reply back that i kinda prefer cash or paypal (safer?) he/she email me back with the following message

' Thanks for your prompt reply. Actually, I will be paying for this item with US Postal money order. This is how it works, as soon as i send the payment, you will be contacted as soon as its approved they will notify you by sending a receipt notification and delivery details to you.

I think its safe and secured because, once payment is approved,it gives you the opportunity to receive the money order on the stipulated date which can never be retrieved back and thats why it takes them hours to approve payment. Also, as soon as you receive it, you can cash it at the nearest cashing point, post office or any bank of yours.

I am buying the item for someone who will be celebrating his birthday this next week and i intend to take him by suprise this time , to this end, as soon as my payment is approved by US Postal money order, i will like to ship the item immediately
through Fed-ex so as to meet up with his birthday date. Pls, dont sell it to anyone else, i dont mind paying USD $150

As for the shipping, you dont have to pay a dime for it cos i will be responsible for the shipping to destination. Upon approval of payment, i will send you a fed-ex prepaid shipping label to you which you will need for the shipping of the package. I will like to read from you if this is okay by you.

Let me have your full name and address as it will be written on the money order.
Thanks and best regards.'

is this Money order thing and he'll send the FedEx label to my place is OKAY? i never done money order before.. and why would he want to pay $150 for a DS + nintendog,since he can get them brand new at gamestore + tax..

anyone familiar with craglist can give me some advice? thank you

[quote name='schuerm26']Big time scam[/QUOTE]

oh shoot! really? that's suck..oh well..

can you guys elaborate how is this a scam? I want to know so can better prepare in the future.. thank you

I ll point out the keywords

as soon as i send the payment, you will be contacted as soon as its approved they will notify you by sending a receipt notification and delivery details to you.

Pls, dont sell it to anyone else, i dont mind paying USD $150

As for the shipping, you dont have to pay a dime for it cos i will be responsible for the shipping to destination

Just to elaborate a bit. The USPS doesn't notify the receiver electronically of a USPS MO. If he were really paying with a USPS MO, he'd go to the post office and buy it. (The PO would actually give him a paper money order.) Then he'd bring it over (or mail it to you) in exchange for the DS. If that's wrong please correct me, but I've never heard of the USPS legimitately offering that service.

The e-mail notification would be faked to scam you.

Red flags are:
Buyer wants you to ship stuff as soon as you receive electronic confirmation of payment (before you actually have the money.)
Buyer wants you to use their UPS/Fedex shipping account.
Buyer offers more than your stuff is worth/the asking price. (When this happens it's almost 100% a scam.)

wow.. thanx guys.. I wasn't too serious of selling it, but my friend insist for me to try craiglist.. and what do you know.. a scammer send me an email.. since i've been on the Internet for awhile (alot while.. haha) I didn't think it sound right... 'too difficult' to do... man.. there must be plenty of good old folks who fall for these crap hah? that's suck though...

Yeah, he probably wants you to ship it out of the country as well. We have sold many items on Craigslist but we only sell to local buyers. We receive e-mail like this all the time for more expensive items. Just ignore it.

Craig's is actually a good place for selling and buying. But it's best to just deal locally (in person) for all Craig's List transactions. It's what they officially recommend as well.

Actually I generally just buy from CL. I find the typical CLer is even cheaper than a typical CAGer ;)

bread's done
Back