Craigslist Advice

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
About a week ago, I posted an ad on Craigslist to rent out the spare room in my apartment. I got an email yesterday about renting the room, and it seems innocent enough, yet I still get this weird feeling. I wanted to know what you guys thought about it. Here's the email.

I'm So glad to hear from you so quick, I'm interested in renting the
room. My name is Katherine ***** i was born in France (Paris) i speak
both French & English, am single, fun, loving, clean, loyal and
respectful of others, don't have any pet. More about me, my father is
from US and my mother is from France. I'm 24yrs old, sex female, i
attend American University of Paris, graduated a year ago.

I'm coming to stay for a year, and am coming for my master's
degree.I'm currently in Alaska in a village "Nunivak Island" on a
research work and will be coming soon... I'll be arriving any time
from May or you can email me the available date i can move in also
i'll loved to call you but here is a remote area calls are very hard
to go through, please send me some picture of the room because i will
not be able to come over and check on it before renting.

Please tell me little about yourself...if you are a
student?,working?, married or single?, if there is a garage or parking
space because i will be coming with my own car. Let me know the total
amount for the first month rent, i will be paying upfront so that you
can be rest assured that am really interested in renting the room from
you...

My mode of payment is US Check, so please feed me back with the
following details so that i can ensure you are ready to rent the room
to me.

BELOW IS THE INFORMATION NEEDED

***** Full Name:
****** Street Address:
******* City, State, Zip Code:
******** Home & Cell Number:
********* Total amount for a month:

I'll be waiting to read back from you with the information
requested so that i can forward it to my father to issue out the check
for the deposit and month rent upfront as soon as possible, with that
you can hold on the place prior my arrival... Thanks for your
co-operation

Regard
Katherine
In addition, there was a Facebook account linked to the email (somehow). It was started 5 days ago and only has 1 friend (who has 600 friends).

Again, I don't know what it is, but I get a weird feeling. Maybe it's just because she's a non-native English speaker on the internet, but you can never be too careful. Any advice from you guys? Is there any harm in sending her name, address and phone number?

Also, before anybody asks, I won't post the picture that I found on the Facebook page. But if that is really her, extrapolating from the face and mentally removing the parka, yes, she's pretty hot. :)

That is so a scammer. Its just like those apply for a job craigslist scams that want all your info and send me a check i'm stuck but I'm a nigerian prince.

Edit: Also, if they send you a check, once it is deposited at your bank they can get your information, and the check won't clear and your bank will charge you a charge back, and your account will most likely be drained

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may be right. I checked it out a bit further, and I can't believe I forgot the email from earlier today.

I want to come and look at the room because I really want to rent it so I would want you to let me know your schedule for today and tomorrow... pls back to me at "****@gmail.com " because I am always busy at work. Thanks
She's currently in Alaska, but wants to come look at the room today or tomorrow? Too many things wrong with this, I'm going to ignore it. Thanks for helping me confirm my suspicions. I knew no hot girl would want to live with me. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell them the rent is 18,000 a month and they better bring a caribou back from Alaska.

Any time you get a weird feeling on craigslist - just listen to it. Better safe than sorry.

I should google the site where people harass the Nigerian scammers making them take pictures and stuff. Its been a while, but that use to be entertaining.

bread's done
Back