Craigslist Personals, or Striking Schadenfreude Gold

lord_ebonstone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
I popped my Craigslist cherry today in a desperate search for an affordable 20 or 60GB PS3. Though I didn't ever find that PS3, I found something undoubtedly more entertaining with undoubtedly more content than the PS3's library:

Personals ads.

Don't get me wrong, I, like many users on this site, am probably the perfect stereotypical archetype for posting a Man-Seeking-Woman personal ad. I'm 22, white, single, disaffected, undermotivated, aimless in the pursuit of education or any other goal, and best of all I'm a computer/video game/internet nerd. Yet I cling fast to some sense of dignity -- to ever actually post an ad would be anathema. And desperate. And inviting of fat chicks, which I am allergic to.

Despite -- or ironically in spite -- of this, I spent the last three hours in tears laughing at some of these ads.

A fun, outgoing, and crazy girl.

A skinny, white, indie kid (or so they say) who lives with his grandparents, watches diggnation, and is looking for "not a whore."

An educated, sweet, fat woman in search of a prince, who contradicts herself by offering to "bend over backeards [sic, and additionally, I'm skeptical she can bend over at all] for the one I care about" and simultaneously declares "Do[es] not put out on the first date."

A man in search of "marriage for some months" in exchange for "rewarding her big($$$$)," which I guess means four figures.

It's shooting fish in a barrel, I admit. And that's why I love it. The desperation. The pithy. The self-defeat in admitting that you are nonfunctional in real, regular social situations, or are hideously undesirable. The prevalence of vaginal (for instance, flowers) imagery and emotional focus in female postings, and the terse, utilitarian, generally imageless male postings. The metaphysical disconnect in searching for meaningful human interaction by resorting to bits and bytes or the printing press. It's fascinating, tragic, hilarious, horrifying. And it's likely going to continue to have a better library than the PS3 for some time to come.

none of those posts are funny. except for the guy looking for marriage. the rest are just normal people. they are just trying to find love and affection. its not always easy for everyone to meet people in their everyday lives.

[quote name='nativetongue88']none of those posts are funny. except for the guy looking for marriage. the rest are just normal people. they are just trying to find love and affection. its not always easy for everyone to meet people in their everyday lives.[/QUOTE]
The first one is the picture versus the title.

The second one is rambling and bizarre.

The third one is a fat chick (I laugh at fart jokes).

Maybe it's my lack of any sense or appreciation of romance. Maybe it's an intellectual fascination with the mechanics of desperation. Maybe it's my incorrigible misanthropy. Maybe it's you.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']I popped my Craigslist cherry today in a desperate search for an affordable 20 or 60GB PS3. Though I didn't ever find that PS3, I found something undoubtedly more entertaining with undoubtedly more content than the PS3's library:

Personals ads.

Don't get me wrong, I, like many users on this site, am probably the perfect stereotypical archetype for posting a Man-Seeking-Woman personal ad. I'm 22, white, single, disaffected, undermotivated, aimless in the pursuit of education or any other goal, and best of all I'm a computer/video game/internet nerd. Yet I cling fast to some sense of dignity -- to ever actually post an ad would be anathema. And desperate. And inviting of fat chicks, which I am allergic to.

Despite -- or ironically in spite -- of this, I spent the last three hours in tears laughing at some of these ads.

A fun, outgoing, and crazy girl.

A skinny, white, indie kid (or so they say) who lives with his grandparents, watches diggnation, and is looking for "not a whore."

An educated, sweet, fat woman in search of a prince, who contradicts herself by offering to "bend over backeards [sic, and additionally, I'm skeptical she can bend over at all] for the one I care about" and simultaneously declares "Do[es] not put out on the first date."

A man in search of "marriage for some months" in exchange for "rewarding her big($$$$)," which I guess means four figures.

It's shooting fish in a barrel, I admit. And that's why I love it. The desperation. The pithy. The self-defeat in admitting that you are nonfunctional in real, regular social situations, or are hideously undesirable. The prevalence of vaginal (for instance, flowers) imagery and emotional focus in female postings, and the terse, utilitarian, generally imageless male postings. The metaphysical disconnect in searching for meaningful human interaction by resorting to bits and bytes or the printing press. It's fascinating, tragic, hilarious, horrifying. And it's likely going to continue to have a better library than the PS3 for some time to come.[/QUOTE]

Hello and welcome to the year 2000!

also, fail for not being funny posts. try the casual encounters section.

[quote name='Apossum']Hello and welcome to the year 2000!

also, fail for not being funny posts. try the casual encounters section.[/quote]

I also welcome you from the year 2000!

There was a huge list of posts like this awhile back, search around.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']The first one is the picture versus the title.

The second one is rambling and bizarre.

The third one is a fat chick (I laugh at fart jokes).

Maybe it's my lack of any sense or appreciation of romance. Maybe it's an intellectual fascination with the mechanics of desperation. Maybe it's my incorrigible misanthropy. Maybe it's you.[/quote]

i think its just that you have such a great sense of humor that i cant even begin to comprehend it.

[quote name='Will']I think the OP was cruising for some ass and those are his choices that interest him most.[/quote]

Mmm, the second one looks like some prime pickin' right there.

bread's done
Back