Craigslist Question

Nesmaster75

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hi everyone,
I just had one question about Craigslist as I'm not too familiar with it, and was wondering if you think this is a scam or not. I'm trying to sell a Kenwood radio that I got for a gift but won't fit in my car (here's my craigslist link - http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/ele/3096380615.html), and I got an email this morning reading "still available?", and after my response saying it was, this is what I got back:

Hi,
My assistant told me your item is still for sale on list, I will add $50 to the purchase price for you so that you can hold it for me as i am on a business trip and wouldn't want to lose it to someone else. Please provide your full name, address and your phone number so that I can send your payment.I will be paying you by a Money Order ... It will take 6 -7 days for the payment to get to you and as for delivery I will make arrangements for the pick-up after you have received payment.kindly get back to me, as soon as possible, with your name,phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent.
Note:As soon as you have your money in hand, we can talk about the picking up of the item. i would like you to take the posting off from craiglist today.
Best Regards

Like I said, it sounds kind of shady to me, but this would be my first Craigslist sale (actually, I've never even used it to buy something either...), and wanted to know what your input was on this situation. Thank you for taking the time to read this and helping me out! And sorry if this wasn't posted in the correct area. I wasn't too sure where to create this thread.

If someone buying from you starts asking for your personal information then it is a scam.
If someone buying from you insists on paying MORE than you are asking then it is a scam.
If you get any email that just seems off while selling on craigslist then it is a scam.

I remember reading the Craiglist warnings, and they said to have caution when dealing with money orders. I don't think I would accept a personal check, but wasn't too sure about money orders. Man, with all the crappy press that site gets, I'm so paranoid when dealing on it now...

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']You can sell on Craigslist, just use common sense.
...nevermind, just sell on ebay.[/QUOTE]
Mr. Unoriginal,
Don't be a dick. No one likes a dick as Wil Wheaton would say. The only reason that email was confusing me was due to my phone number, but the address part is obviously the only way I would receive the money order since I don't have a PO box.

My rule of thumb with craigslist is it's supposed to be for LOCAL people. If you were really looking on craigslist you look in your area not for sales in 4 states over. I usually don't give a phone number till the 2nd email to make sure they are real people, and NEVER give your address. Always meet some where public and during the day or well lit; library, shopping center or a local store. I always ask for $20 bills or smaller, I don't want to get counterfeit money.

[quote name='SnotRocket']My rule of thumb with craigslist is it's supposed to be for LOCAL people. If you were really looking on craigslist you look in your area not for sales in 4 states over. I usually don't give a phone number till the 2nd email to make sure they are real people, and NEVER give your address. Always meet some where public and during the day or well lit; library, shopping center or a local store. I always ask for $20 bills or smaller, I don't want to get counterfeit money.[/QUOTE]
A person contacted me before this and I chose to meet at a Staples in between us, but unfortunately, that person backed out due to last minute money problems. I'll probably only deal with cash at this point anyways to avoid all of this in the first place. Thanks for the information though!

[quote name='Nesmaster75']Mr. Unoriginal,
Don't be a dick.[/QUOTE]

That is his thing though. You know, his internet persona. If he loses that he loses everything.

Just tell them to contact you when they're in the area and ready to buy face-to-face; they seem to be trying way too hard to get, what, a 12% discount off the retail price?

Ya... obviously fake. Never do money orders, lmao. Just use common sense... I have sold long distance on Craigslist once, but the guy covered shipping, we talked on the phone several times, it was a somewhat obscure item and he had seen my listing while in town the week before but didn't get paid until the next week and had trouble finding it in his area. Did payment through Paypal also.

bread's done
Back