Craigslisting my CCNA skills

fatherofcaitlyn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
I picked my CCNA three months ago, but I haven't found a job to use it yet. I understand I'm a paper cert and that turns recruiters and employers off.

So, I'll end up having to generate some experience on my own. Supposedly, people run businesses off of craigslist postings.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5846133_start-craigslist-posting-business.html

My business idea is in the passing thought/prototype stage. Other than clients murdering me or claiming I bricked their computers or routers, setting prices, determining the extent of services offered and figuring out when I can perform this second job, what elements am I forgetting?

Would a hiring manager consider self-employment as actual experience? With my last business, it was generally ignored or considered a negative.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']With my last business, it was generally ignored or considered a negative.[/QUOTE]
what were you doing in your last business? selling dope to first graders? pimping sex slaves?

i would believe that anything other that sitting on your ass is better on your resume.

I doubt you're going to get any CCNA level experience from Craigslist. I would say try getting hired on as Help Desk or Desktop Support and work your way up. I was in the same situation as you about 2 years ago. I have been working Help Desk/DST the past two years and hopefully will be moving into an Engineering role when I finish up my MCSE.

Overall, I would be really apprehensive of completing work through Craigslist. Although, I may just be a nervous nelly because I refuse to use CL for anything. As far as listing the experience, I think any experience is good so I would go ahead and list it on your resume.

[quote name='shosh']what were you doing in your last business? selling dope to first graders? pimping sex slaves?

i would believe that anything other that sitting on your ass is better on your resume.[/QUOTE]

Close. I was a hoader. I would travel a few hundred miles in a day and hit up a dozen or so stores to buy anything I could resell on eBay for a profit. Sometimes, I even had the blessing of the store managers.

During interviews, I have to assure most interviewers that I haven't sold anything on eBay for years to continue the interview.

Companies claim they like people earing multiple hats, but the ones I've dealt with don't want to see it on a resume.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Close. I was a hoader. I would travel a few hundred miles in a day and hit up a dozen or so stores to buy anything I could resell on eBay for a profit. Sometimes, I even had the blessing of the store managers.

During interviews, I have to assure most interviewers that I haven't sold anything on eBay for years to continue the interview.

Companies claim they like people earing multiple hats, but the ones I've dealt with don't want to see it on a resume.[/QUOTE]
oh gotcha, so its not really a legitimate business per se.

I wouldn't want to mention that either, especially if the interviewer was a member of CAG

[quote name='shosh']oh gotcha, so its not really a legitimate business per se. [/QUOTE]

Define legitimate.

Did I have a license, make profits and pay taxes? Yes.

Was I anything more than an opportunistic middle man? No.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Define legitimate.

Was I anything more than an opportunistic middle man? No.[/QUOTE]

Basically flipping stuff on 'teh bay.

I'm surprised it's even possible to make decent money this way.

I've heard people do it with CostCo though.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Define legitimate.

Was I anything more than an opportunistic middle man? No.[/QUOTE]

What I meant was it wasn't really a job. Like you weren't exactly productive.

bread's done
Back