crap! emergency! my xbox just got the red ring of death

rly723

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
after 5 years i think my thompson drive died out on me. i turned it on and all i get is a clicking sound, the screen wont load and it directs me to a screen to contact cust. support. also i get the red ring. this is the first time ive gotten this. also i unplugged it and turned it on several times, but no change. anything i can do or is this a lost cause?

[quote name='dmes65']Is you av plug plugged in all the way? I know if it is loose that will cause the red ring.[/QUOTE]

No, that would be an orange ring. When I got the red ring on my old XBOX it was broken.

Might be the Hard Drive, not the dvd drive. Open the drawer and see if the clicking continues... if it does it is probably the hard drive and they are not easy to replace without modding the unit or letting Microsoft repair it. Microsoft will not touch the unit if it has already been opened however.

good news...i guess the power cord wasnt fully in. i adjusted it and its back to working. no red circle. good thing, jsut a coincidence earlier last night i was debating to get an xbx 360, then my xbox crapped out a couple hr's later. if it was permanent it would've made my decision much easier lol

beware if u had trouble wif yer powercord! ive heard of xbox catching on fire because of this 4 more details read about this over @ LLAMMAS xbox page a must see site 4 all xbox owners!

[quote name='rly723']good news...i guess the power cord wasnt fully in. i adjusted it and its back to working. no red circle. good thing, jsut a coincidence earlier last night i was debating to get an xbx 360, then my xbox crapped out a couple hr's later. if it was permanent it would've made my decision much easier lol[/QUOTE]
See I told you so penguinmaster.

bad news lol

it happened again...red circle and screen wont load, just get a clicking sound and the screen to contact cust support. after a couple hours it got back to working with no problem, but i have no idea whats wrong with it and expect it to happen again. i dl'd some roster update for nba2k6 and mvp 2005 and transferred them from an action replay memory card to the xbox hard disk. could their be a corrupt file that could be causing this or a hardware problem?

I dont think its your dvd drive, cos I had a thompson drive in my xbox, and when it died the xbox still powered and I got the menu screens and everything, it just wouldnt recognize any type of disc that I put in the drive. Sounds like you may have a dying hardrive, or dying internal power supply or something...

All Thompsons are pieces of shit because Microsoft likes selling faulty hardware without admiting to it.

[quote name='rly723']bad news lol

it happened again...red circle and screen wont load, just get a clicking sound and the screen to contact cust support. after a couple hours it got back to working with no problem, but i have no idea whats wrong with it and expect it to happen again. i dl'd some roster update for nba2k6 and mvp 2005 and transferred them from an action replay memory card to the xbox hard disk. could their be a corrupt file that could be causing this or a hardware problem?[/QUOTE]

OK, so it worked again after a few hours of just sitting there, right?

Sounds to me like the fan on the video card is dying, causing your unit to overheat and lock up.

Wish I had a work-around for you, but I'm not a modder and wouldn't begin to know how to remedy this.

Do a search for a new internal fan for the Xbox and maybe you'll be able to pull something up?

As Eastside posted:

Whats the number on the top left?

This alone will easily tell you what is wrong with your Xbox. It'll display on the same screen as the one that tells you to contact customer support.

bread's done
Back