Crappy sale at DeepDiscount.com (40% off MRSP, 11/13 - 11/29, 25% off sale gone?)

E-Z-B

CAGiversary!
They're already complaining over at dvd talk: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/564521-deepdiscount-40-off-msrp-sale-11-13-09-11-29-09-a.html

ddsale.jpg

DD's annual revenue is dependent on their 20/25% off sales. If they're not generating enough cash flow, they'll have to do something else ... quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's disappointing, but it's possible they just can't afford to do a sale of that magnitude this year. Every retailer is attempting to cut back as much as necessary. They don't have the buying power that Amazon has. Thanks for sharing this with us!

It's not too shabby. I can still look forward to getting Star Wars Clone Wars S1 DVD for $26.99 and Sesame Street 40 Years Best Of DVD for $17.97. Both are $2 cheaper than Amazon...

[quote name='Kerig']It's not too shabby. I can still look forward to getting Star Wars Clone Wars S1 DVD for $26.99 and Sesame Street 40 Years Best Of DVD for $17.97. Both are $2 cheaper than Amazon...[/QUOTE]

$2!? Are you kidding me? It's worth the $2 to deal with Amazon over DD anyway, especially if you've got Amazon Prime. At least Amazon keeps track of their inventory properly. Half the time at DD, the item page will show In Stock, but it shows Backordered when its added to your cart.

Huge disappointment

I checked my wishlist that I make in preparation of this sale; if they truly go by 40% off MSRP, some of my items will go UP in price.

I usually bought anime during this sale because they would beat TRSI's prices during studio sales; oh well looks like I have more money to use in BN's Criterion sale\\:D/

I was looking at some book prices and this sale won't be too bad for books priced under $10, I know Amazon's prices are never discounted for books that are $7.99, actually I don't think they discount books under $10. Anyone know for sure?

Amazon usually beats them with Bluray prices though Amazon has gotten better their DVD sales have usually been better since they don't raise the princes on their B1G1 sales.

[quote name='Viper187']$2!? Are you kidding me? It's worth the $2 to deal with Amazon over DD anyway, especially if you've got Amazon Prime.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I was sort of thinking the same thing as I typed that. I do have Prime ATM, and now for some unknown reason, Amazon dropped Clone Wars S1 down to $27.49 :)

50 cents more to have it in two days instead of 2-3 weeks. DD fails this year, I just really hope they at least go back to 20% off actual price next time.

Well I'm glad I grabbed Battlestar Galactica complete blu during Best Buy's 30% off sale now that I know Deep Discount is scrooging Christmas...

Ruh-Roh.

You can bet the DD.com would be absolutely slammed if they did the usual sale given this economic climate, and likely lose a good amount of money on the bigger box-sets.

[quote name='Kerig']It's not too shabby. I can still look forward to getting Star Wars Clone Wars S1 DVD for $26.99 and Sesame Street 40 Years Best Of DVD for $17.97. Both are $2 cheaper than Amazon...[/QUOTE]

yes, im sure those were totally worth waiting for for 5 months.... :roll:

fuck. I was hoping for some random titles/oddities that usually pick up. Really wanted Trick 'R Treat, Hellboy 2, Batman Dark Knight, and some others (can't remember right now off of memory, but I have them written down somewhere). OH well, I guess more money for these other incredible deals that have been showing up and BF. I guess DD just can't compete with the big wigs (i.e. Amazon, Walmart, etc.) anymore.

Well, I kind of take back what I said. Homicide, Life on the Streets Complete series was $86, now is $60. MSRP $149.95

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']fuck. I was hoping for some random titles/oddities that usually pick up. Really wanted Trick 'R Treat, Hellboy 2, Batman Dark Knight, and some others (can't remember right now off of memory, but I have them written down somewhere). OH well, I guess more money for these other incredible deals that have been showing up and BF. I guess DD just can't compete with the big wigs (i.e. Amazon, Walmart, etc.) anymore.[/QUOTE]

K-Mart's black friday ad shows that they're having Hellboy 2 at $3.99

Well this sucks, the one thing I was definitely going to buy, Aria the Natural part 2 actually went up by 2 dollars due to the sale. That's lame.

DVD Planet has the same non-sale sale if you have credit to burn off. And unlike Deep Discount, there are $5 off $50 coupons to be had if you do some searching, including 5OFF50NOW (which supposedly expires Sunday!).

Amazing that the sale is going on now, and the thread hasn't even reached two pages yet!

It's likely be at 7-8 pages if it were the usual holiday sale.

Its almost insulting that they think we would actually fall for the trick of using 40% off to advertise instead of the usual 20/25%

Well, people who are on a site called CHEAP ASS GAMER wouldn't fall for it, but the general public -- who will grab anything on Black Friday just because they're told it's a bargain, or who won't wait for clearance prices to fall even further -- will fall for it.

They might be trying to break us of the 25% off deals, which would be fully in their rights-- I know I hold off a lot of spending until these sales and rarely order from them otherwise (since I have Amazon Prime and it's rarely worth saving maybe $1 to have to wait 2-3 weeks to get my order)... so they may not see the long-term returns since they've been so predictable-- instead of gaining customers they just get people waiting to buy. (I know I usually buy $200-$300 worth of stuff in the sales and nothing outside of them)

Maybe they'll do shorter term "surprise" sales to get people checking in more often? One can hope. (although with the summer sale starting late this year, supposedly due to some money issues, it might be more likely that they're hurting and just trying to stay afloat..)

[quote name='chakan']Well, I kind of take back what I said. Homicide, Life on the Streets Complete series was $86, now is $60. MSRP $149.95[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for posting that info. Excellent series, fantastic price!

[quote name='Kapwanil']Wow, thanks for posting that info. Excellent series, fantastic price![/QUOTE]

Well, I ordered it too. Let's hope they restock this one in a timely manner. Maybe we'll get lucky and Amazon will match it. lol

[quote name='Viper187']Well, I ordered it too. Let's hope they restock this one in a timely manner. Maybe we'll get lucky and Amazon will match it. lol[/QUOTE]

Ugh, temporarily out of stock. Dont know if its worth ordering. Guess so, its my wife's money, since it's my xmas gift.

DD has sucked. Transformers complete set is still over 100$
And GI Joe is over 100$ too..... good. my wallet cant handle it

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Well, this deal isn't working at DVDTalk/SD either Indiana Jones. I can hardly imagine DD doing well with something like this.[/QUOTE]

I think you missed my point. Bargain hunters aren't going to spend a lot of money on this sale. People who wait in line in the middle of the night to be the first ones to shop Black Friday, on the other hand, would be more likely to.

The bargain hunters aren't going to spend $300-400 a pop, which is what a surprising amount of the DVDtalk folks seem to do.

Hey guys, use this code to get $5 off an order of $25 or more: N4V24RVDNH

It's only one use per account, but if I'm not mistaken, it'll work on anything.

Other codes: couponcabin5cd - $5 off $50 or more on music
couponcabin5book - $5 off $50 or more on books

Most of the items on my wishlist are higher now then before the sale. I have a bunch of older DVDs on the list. They were priced $7 to $10, and most went up, if only by a few cents. The few Blu-Ray's I had on my list are now cheaper at Amazon.
Not that I'm complaining. I'll just shop wherever it's cheaper. I have no notion of "loyalty".

There were only 3 things I would've bought during this year's sale: The new Star Trek for my mom, NCIS season 6 for my aunt, and whatever random anime struck my fancy.

With the changes, it's now no cheaper to buy anime from DD than my usual- and preferred- TRSI, and Amazon's given ben equal or better options on both of the others. I'll be skipping it this time around.

No big deal- like techstar said, I've got no loyalty to these guys. I'll go to who's giving me the deal.

Current valid coupon codes to get $5 off of $25, essentially ~20% off if you get close to $25 in your cart. Each code can be used once per person:

LTPVNY3FX8
Y1V2JNDBWZ
7PALJQQVUQ

Also, Dvdplanet (owned by Deepdiscount) has code couponcabin for $5 off of $50.

A lot of complaining about DD. I agree, in general Amazon's prices are usually a better deal (gotta love Amazon), but there are still a lot of people that will benefit greatly from this sale, even if the 40% is off the MSRP. I purchased a music DVD box set (Clifford Ball) for $59.95 on Deep Discount, and after a $5 coupon, I got it for $54.95. On an item like this that is not extremely popular, I was able to score big! It's still $78.49 on Amazon, so I actually saved about $25. MSRP - $100.00. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for, but yes, in GENERAL, Amazon can't be beat.

[quote name='E-Z-B']Current valid coupon codes to get $5 off of $25, essentially ~20% off if you get close to $25 in your cart. Each code can be used once per person:

LTPVNY3FX8
Y1V2JNDBWZ
7PALJQQVUQ

Also, Dvdplanet (owned by Deepdiscount) has code couponcabin for $5 off of $50.[/QUOTE]

You know with this deal if you get something for $25 or $30 and then get $5 off its not that bad of a deal. Its actually better than the 25% off deal if you get the right thing. If anyone has any more $5 off codes other than the ones above then please post them. I just submitted three separate orders and used all 3 codes.

I have never ordered from one of these sales. I already placed one order & am tempted to place another. Only thing is, everything I am looking at ordering(or already ordered) is OOS. Does it usually take DD a while to get more stock?

It's not like I am expecting them to ship it within the next week or two. But don't wanna wait 3 or 4 months.

btw, I am looking at some cds & music dvds/sets that recently came out if it matters. TIA.

They usually get stock back in 2 to 3 weeks. Everything I order is always out of stock during these sales.

Used $5 coupon to score 2 cheap Blu-rays and a XB360 game:

Dogma Blu $7.83
Ghost Rider Blu $7.83
Flatout Ultimate Carnage (XB360) $13.36

Total $24.02

bread's done
Back