Crayon Physics Deluxe pay what you want birthday sale.

I just bought this on Steam on the last day because it was only 10 bucks...still haven't even installed it yet :(. Ah well, donated a buck. May as well throw them another for a download.

You penny guys are so lame. You think we are going to keep seeing these deals when you donate a penny (which doesn't even cover fees).

[quote name='cheapo72']Cheap Ass Gamer

x2

Go donate again & have a nice day. ;)[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Thanks to the prior sales of this nature, the dev must know that a large number of people will give them absolutely nothing (as a donation that small is just a gift to Paypal, anyway).

I hope they release a post-sale analysis like 2D Boy did.

I'll DL it for 5 bucks when I have the chance. Thanks OP for the heads up. I want to show devs I'll give them a few bucks for a game if they let me name my own price. I just wish I could register it with steam.

Find "Pay what you want" Thread about a video game/service
Pay a penny or a few cents for said service/video game
Be happy you did not pay much
Post about your good purchase
Get called a butthole and a cheap bastard on the internet
?????
Profit!

histogram.png

http://2dboy.com/2009/10/19/birthday-sale-results/

Just reminding you guys what happened when 2d boy did this with world of goo.

[quote name='DarkZion']4 people willingly paid 50 bucks for world of goo?[/QUOTE]

I got World of Goo during that sale, I think I paid around 30 cents, I played a few levels, and have not touched it in months. Overhyped in my opinion. I saw the demo of crayon physics, for me that was enough

thanks OP. I paid .78

I know, I know...strange, but thats all i had in my paypal account....seems like money well spent.

[quote name='BaboonSqueezer']I got World of Goo during that sale, I think I paid around 30 cents, I played a few levels[/QUOTE]

Then you have no idea how great the game gets and what the fuss is all about.

I've having problems with my bank right now, so I just did $0.01 to be safe. I almost got charged $210+ in over-draft fees thanks to Steams sale (a canceled order re-charged, and put me $25 under, which made my $20 of Steam purchases all go through at once and each one, despite being $0.99 - $2.00, got me a $35 over-draft fee PER purchase). I got it sorted out, but I'm playing it safe for now.

So, until I'm sure everything is good and secure, they are only getting $0.01 from me, haha.

[quote name='Vegan']Then you have no idea how great the game gets and what the fuss is all about.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I beat it and I agree with him. It was a decent game, but it wasn't this revolutionary, amazing thing that people were making it out to be. It was a weird puzzle game with a somewhat interesting idea. Decent, but definitely overhyped.

In any case, I was interested in trying this game out so this is good news. I'll have to grab it tonight.

Trendness level rising (indie game #4 now?). Would toss some money their way, but I already got the game with that indie bundle sale a few months ago. Nice little puzzler.

I was more than happy to buy this for $20. Makes a great game for the Wiimote Whiteboard in my classroom.

Here's how it works.

Most people wouldn't have even heard of this game, much less BOUGHT it even if it were only a few dollars. Then they have this sale, and the people that don't care much buy it for a penny, the people that were interested in it usually pay more than that. Then over time, some of the people that bought it cheap will really enjoy it and spread the word, boosting full price sales.

So yes, companies WILL have sales like this in the future, it gets the word out to audiences that it normally wouldn't. So even though people are buying it for a penny, they don't really care, because sales like this aren't necessarily to make a ton of profit but to get the games in hands of people it wouldn't normally be in so they can spread the word.

I tried the demo in the past and liked it, but it had been a while so I tried the demo again today and liked it. Will buy it later today. It, like World of Goo, is a game I'll play in bits and pieces.

After realizing you get this via an email after paying, decided to go ahead and pay $2 for it. Will install tonight. Wish there were a Mac version, but it runs OK in Crossover Games (must run it windowed or it looks weird and the mouse is messed up, and it crashes on quit, but it plays fine when set in options to be windowed), and should run well in VMWare Fusion in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='catbigred']Anyone else having issues getting the email for the link?[/QUOTE]

I got the email almost right away. I haven't tried downloading yet, though.

I was somewhat surprised to see I have to create an account to play the game, if I'm reading the email right. Is there an install limit, or is this just for downloading new levels and/or uploading them?

[quote name='catbigred']Anyone else having issues getting the email for the link?[/QUOTE]

Yah, still no sign of mine...ordered about 6 a.m. this morning.

-veggielasagna

[quote name='Cmosfm']Here's how it works.

Most people wouldn't have even heard of this game, much less BOUGHT it even if it were only a few dollars. Then they have this sale, and the people that don't care much buy it for a penny, the people that were interested in it usually pay more than that. Then over time, some of the people that bought it cheap will really enjoy it and spread the word, boosting full price sales.

So yes, companies WILL have sales like this in the future, it gets the word out to audiences that it normally wouldn't. So even though people are buying it for a penny, they don't really care, because sales like this aren't necessarily to make a ton of profit but to get the games in hands of people it wouldn't normally be in so they can spread the word.[/QUOTE]

Keep making yourself feel better about being cheap. There's NO excuse for paying a penny. They are doing you a favor here, not the other way around, at least offer some compensation or just play the demo.

For all of you being cheap, realize 1.00 is still nearly paying them nothing, but it's 100x more than 1 cent. If all 16,000 people that downloaded World of Goo for just 1 cent paid $1.00, they wouldn't be any worse off and the developer would have 1.5 million more dollars to develop there next game with. That's the difference between 16,000 people thinking there 1 cent payment won't make a difference. And all they would have to pay is $1.00.

Don't worry all, you will still be CAGs. You just won't be asses at the same time.

What's with all the judgement whenever one of these "name your price" sales comes up? Really, who cares what other people donated? If the developers were really so worried about it, they could always set a minimum donation price.

Warlock's right. Those bitching about 0.01 donaters need to get over it. The developers of the game knew exactly what they were offering and they absolutely knew that they'd be paying for anyone who donated less then the minimum paypal fee. They must feel that it's worth it or they never would have made the offer. So off your high horses. I paid $2, but I'm not going to chastise 1 centers.

[quote name='Gersson']Donated $5

I know some devs so I know that $.01 is not a fair price.[/QUOTE]

That's how much I put in, and I didn't even try the demo. It has to be at least that good.

[quote name='crunchewy']Warlock's right. Those bitching about 0.01 donaters need to get over it. The developers of the game knew exactly what they were offering and they absolutely knew that they'd be paying for anyone who donated less then the minimum paypal fee. They must feel that it's worth it or they never would have made the offer. So off your high horses. I paid $2, but I'm not going to chastise 1 centers.[/QUOTE]

I am, because those fuckwads don't seem to know that they're screwing over the developers in the process. In fact, let's make that crystal clear right now:

IF YOU DONATE A PENNY, THE DEVELOPERS GET NOTHING.

Unless it's changed since the World of Goo sale, anything less than $0.32 means that all of the money you put in goes to Paypal.

Because it bears repeating:

[quote name='Hostile']"We can only assume that it was related to our publicizing that the most common price point chosen was $0.01 and raising people’s awareness to the fact that we don’t see any money for purchases of $0.30 and under." -- 2D Boy, creators of World of Goo SOURCE

I believe a donation to charity is different from a donation to a company or person.[/QUOTE]

Once World of Goo made it clear that the morons who gave a penny to Paypal weren't actually supporting the developer, their average donations shot up.

If you donate a penny, the developers get nothing. If mentioning that over and over again is what it takes for the same to happen here, so be it.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Here's how it works.

So yes, companies WILL have sales like this in the future, it gets the word out to audiences that it normally wouldn't. So even though people are buying it for a penny, they don't really care, because sales like this aren't necessarily to make a ton of profit but to get the games in hands of people it wouldn't normally be in so they can spread the word.[/QUOTE]

Sounds just like the piracy argument to me.

[quote name='Warlock82']What's with all the judgement whenever one of these "name your price" sales comes up? Really, who cares what other people donated? If the developers were really so worried about it, they could always set a minimum donation price.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, if everybody put in one cent, that's exactly what we'd see. And that kind of defeats the purpose.

I'll throw in a buck or two. I probably won't play it (not a PC gamer...at all), but the girlfriend might.

[quote name='reininop']Keep making yourself feel better about being cheap. There's NO excuse for paying a penny. They are doing you a favor here, not the other way around, at least offer some compensation or just play the demo.

For all of you being cheap, realize 1.00 is still nearly paying them nothing, but it's 100x more than 1 cent. If all 16,000 people that downloaded World of Goo for just 1 cent paid $1.00, they wouldn't be any worse off and the developer would have 1.5 million more dollars to develop there next game with. That's the difference between 16,000 people thinking there 1 cent payment won't make a difference. And all they would have to pay is $1.00.

Don't worry all, you will still be CAGs. You just won't be asses at the same time.[/QUOTE]

How does a dollar from 16,000 people equal 1.5 million more dollars? $10,880 would be how much cash they'd make if those people donated a dollar instead of a penny, a nice chunk of change for 2d boy for sure, but not close to 1.5 million. And don't forget a number of those penny people bought another copy for a higher price after playing the game and enjoying it.

[quote name='turls']Believe me, if everybody put in one cent, that's exactly what we'd see. And that kind of defeats the purpose.[/QUOTE]

How does a minimum donation defeat the purpose? There's already a minimum of $0.01, technically "free" is a valid price but that's not allowed. I don't see how making the minimum, say, $0.32, is going to make a huge difference.

In any case, I don't like the "well if everyone did it..." arguments. This one especially doesn't hold water because obviously everyone doesn't/didn't. The 2d Boy sales figures showed that (a couple people even donated $50). Ultimately it's a meaningless argument.

[quote name='Warlock82']What's with all the judgement whenever one of these "name your price" sales comes up? Really, who cares what other people donated? If the developers were really so worried about it, they could always set a minimum donation price.[/QUOTE]
This.

The developer knew what he was getting into, and is obviously not concerned. He is not losing money, or anything else, instead gaining attention. He could lure people in by saying "name your price" and then force a minimum donation, but he doesn't do that. In fact, he doesn't even request a minimum donation, or anything at all.

[quote name='turls']Believe me, if everybody put in one cent, that's exactly what we'd see. And that kind of defeats the purpose.[/QUOTE]
Essentially, you're saying the purpose is to be able to pay whatever you want (since you're saying a minimum donation would defeat that purpose). Well "whatever you want" includes one cent.

$2 for me. Wasn't too crazy about the actual gameplay in the demo but very neat concept and some nice music so thought I'd throw some support to an indie dev.

Very slow download as people have been mentioning; only getting 20k/sec. Oh well, hope it's done when I get back from class.

If you want more of these "pay-what-you-want" sales, paying a dollar should be the bare minimum. You vote with your money, fools!

Can the OP edit the first post and mention the price where the developers actually make money?

[quote name='reininop']For all of you being cheap, realize 1.00 is still nearly paying them nothing, but it's 100x more than 1 cent. If all 16,000 people that downloaded World of Goo for just 1 cent paid $1.00, they wouldn't be any worse off and the developer would have 1.5 million more dollars to develop there next game with. That's the difference between 16,000 people thinking there 1 cent payment won't make a difference. And all they would have to pay is $1.00.[/QUOTE]Where did hell you learn to do math? Since when does 16,000 people * 1 dollar/person = 1.5 million? It's $16,000, son.

And to the rest of you, I think you can settle the hell down and know that 2D Boy did very well by my estimation with the Pay-What-You-Want-Sale. I think it's a reasonable assumption that Crayon Physics Deluxe will do well, too. (By the way, I bought WOG for $15.00 on WiiWare and paid another $3.00 for the sale)

picture.php

bread's done
Back