Crayon Physics Deluxe pay what you want birthday sale.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']lol why are people mad because someone on CHEAP ASS GAMER decides to pay a penny?[/QUOTE]

Because supposedly none of it goes to the developer.

Just a warning, but, their email hit my Junk box in Hotmail. The sender was "Kloonigames". Make sure you check your spam/junk folders for the email.

(This is for those that said they haven't received their emails yet.)

I low balled it at $0.50. In the past I have done more in these type of sales(at the very min $1)however I wont do that again for 1 big reason. I tend to install these games then after playing them forget them meaning between that and how iffy it is that the developers site stays up the game is lost to me forever. If the game is good then what I will do is buy the game whenever it goes on sale on steam and the developers will make a profit.

As for the whole donating a penny thing, yes I do think its kind of a dick move...I couldn't bring myself to do it it just didnt feel right. At the same time though I really think the developers cant complain and people like walrus are overacting. If they lose money to paypal its their own stupid faults, they should simply set a donation minimum at $1 or something like that. Its as simple as that!

Donated $3.31. Wish I didn't miss the World of Goo sale. I don't have enough to time to play all these games but I sure like to accumulate them.

I "donated" 2.00. I thought that using the "donate" button instead of the normal purchase method gave the devs the entire contribution, but it looks as though Paypal is still swiping from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HeSaveDave']lol why are people mad because someone on CHEAP ASS GAMER decides to pay a penny?[/QUOTE]

Because a penny is pretty much nothing and like others have said, a penny is actually costing the developers money (transaction fees.)

[quote name='hordak']Because a penny is pretty much nothing and like others have said, a penny is actually costing the developers money (transaction fees.)[/QUOTE]No, a penny donation does not cost the developer's money in transaction fees! Paypal will simply eat up the $0.01 and that'll be the end of it. Any transaction under $0.33 and Paypal will take 100%. At $0.34, Paypal gets $0.33 and the developer gets $0.01.

The fee schedule is as follows (for the vast majority of transactions)

$0.01-0.33 : Paypal = 100%, Developer = 0%
$0.034+ : Paypal = $0.30 + 2.9%, Developer = 97.1% - $0.30

Donated $0.50, but I had already bought it through steam for $10 during the holiday sale. I'll give this copy to my brother so that hopefully he'll get into it like me. Fun and relaxing game (although some challenges can be hard)... perfect for casual laptop use.

[quote name='MSI Magus']As for the whole donating a penny thing, yes I do think its kind of a dick move...I couldn't bring myself to do it it just didnt feel right. At the same time though I really think the developers cant complain and people like walrus are overacting. If they lose money to paypal its their own stupid faults, they should simply set a donation minimum at $1 or something like that. Its as simple as that![/QUOTE]

I don't think I'm overreacting at all. The developer is offering a phenomenal deal, and exhibiting a little bit of faith in the internet in the process. The least we can do is not fuck them over and "buy" the game without giving them a single cent in the process.

Everybody here can afford a dollar or two. I don't care if you don't think you're going to play the game or don't know if you'll like it - if you choose to buy the game, there is literally no reason I can think of to donate a penny. Especially if you know that the developer won't see any of that money.

[quote name='djfp']I "donated" 2.00. I thought that using the "donate" button instead of the normal purchase method gave the devs the entire contribution, but it looks as though Paypal is still swiping from them.[/QUOTE]

Apparently, Paypal processes this as a sale instead of a donation because they aren't a charity. That's how it worked for World of Goo, and I don't see why it'd be any different here.

[quote name='iowaholdem']No, a penny donation does not cost the developer's money in transaction fees![/QUOTE]

It does cost them money in bandwidth, though. Probably not much, but I'm willing to bet that it's more than the nothing they get in return from Paypal.

Everyone go read Kloonigames' blog (the developers of the game) about this pay-as-much-as-you-want experiment.

http://www.kloonigames.com/blog/crayonphysics/happy-birthday-crayon-physics-deluxe

[quote name='Kloonigames Blog']Crayon Physics Deluxe is now 1 year old. I can hardly believe it.

In October Kyle and Ron did this experimental pay what you want sale for the 1 year birthday of World of Goo (most excellent game btw.). In the results of that sale they pointed out that they would like other developers to try this model as well to get a bunch of different results. I thought the 1 year birthday of Crayon Physics Deluxe was as good time as any to do this so here it is:

Pay what ever you like birthday sale for Crayon Physics Deluxe. You’ll get the full game if you pay anything. We accept all amounts of money. Pay 1 cent and you’ll get the game. Pay 5 dollars and you’ll make a me slightly happier man and you’ll get your game. Pay the usual 19.95$ and you’ll make me as happy as the chimp in that photo. The sale ends January 15th.[/quote]

TLDR: The developer understands that tons of people are going to pay $0.01. He doesn't care. Give him more money, and you'll certainly make him happier, but he certainly won't get mad at all the one-centers.

Last night I paid $5.00 for the game, but the install won't even work for me. It keeps giving me a file that Windows doesn't recognize or a corrupt file.

Hoping I can get this resolved sooner than later.

[quote name='GreatDoink']Last night I paid $5.00 for the game, but the install won't even work for me. It keeps giving me a file that Windows doesn't recognize or a corrupt file.

Hoping I can get this resolved sooner than later.[/QUOTE]

Re-download it. The servers were getting hit so hard that downloads were dying; your file probably isn't complete. It should be about 29-30 MB.

[quote name='Vegan']Then you have no idea how great the game gets and what the fuss is all about.[/QUOTE]
Oh good grief. Preen some more, why don't you? I beat the first two worlds and was bored as hell with it.

I have this game already, but I got it for a friend. Remember giving under 30 cents or so gives them nothing via paypal. Heck even .50 cents isn't going to kill you to donate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont mind me, just posting this awesome level from world of goo.

:cool:

i was actually having "fun" :hot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IRccqBB2UY

Hmm let's all join the self-righteous crowd!

"OMG if you pay less than 3 bucks then YOU ARE EVEN WORSE than those despicable pirates! Not only will significant amount of the donation go to the evil Ebay, but the developer will actually LOSE money over their bandwidth usage to upload you the full game. At least the pirates won't use up their bandwidth and cause them to lose money!"

Hm, it won't work for me. I downloaded the exe, saved it to my hard drive. Only my pc seems to recognize it as a file and not a program. It asks me to choose a program to open the file. The size of the file is 29 mb. I posted in their tech support, but thought I might get a quicker answer here.

edit: Well I just re-downloaded and it installed but when I try to play it's just a black screen. Oh well, no big loss.

Donated $5 from my end. Had a lot of fun with the iPhone version, so I'm hoping the computer version is even better.

Paid $7.00 for it since I was waiting for that price to pick it up - alas it never got that low on Steam over Christmas.

I'm waiting for a steam sale. I don't want to have to maintain loose files for games I bought online - aka find them when I want to play them years from now. I'm waiting for ~$5 on steam, or I'll buy it on CD when it gets a box.

[quote name='johnny konami']I'm waiting for a steam sale. I don't want to have to maintain loose files for games I bought online - aka find them when I want to play them years from now. I'm waiting for ~$5 on steam, or I'll buy it on CD when it gets a box.[/QUOTE]
you can always add the loose pc game through steam.

i put my warcraft 3 games on my steam list.

Go to the Games section and search for an option to add non-steam games. it will browse for the file and add it to your games list.

[quote name='cRodz']you can always add the loose pc game through steam.

i put my warcraft 3 games on my steam list.

Go to the Games section and search for an option to add non-steam games. it will browse for the file and add it to your games list.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. I just like that I can redownload it again whenever I want on Steam. So if 10 years from now (I really do play my old games like that) I won't have to hunt down the executable I got from this particular sale, or even worry about having lost it to hard drive failure.

I've actually been waiting for a sale on it, and I almost bought it for $10 over the xmas sale, but what can I say.. I am a CAG :) I suspect eventually it'll be $5 there. I'd buy a copy for around that for my macbook if he had a mac version up, though.

[quote name='Cry Havoc']I wonder how many people complaining about penny donations have ever bought a used game.[/QUOTE]

Another piracy type argument.

Pisses me off I still have yet to get my email for the download link. Tried even a second 1 cent donation to see if there was an issue for the 1st email sent.

[quote name='doodofdoods']How does a dollar from 16,000 people equal 1.5 million more dollars? $10,880 would be how much cash they'd make if those people donated a dollar instead of a penny, a nice chunk of change for 2d boy for sure, but not close to 1.5 million. And don't forget a number of those penny people bought another copy for a higher price after playing the game and enjoying it.[/QUOTE]

It would probably scare you all to know I'm an engineer. Well my 1.5 million oddly came from thinking about my 1 dollar as 100 dollars and 1 cent as 1 dollar. Don't ask why I did it that way. Obviously 16,000 x 1 is 16,000. Someday when you have twin 2 years olds screaming in your ear, my math will make sense.

[quote name='johnny konami']Oh, I know. I just like that I can redownload it again whenever I want on Steam. So if 10 years from now (I really do play my old games like that) I won't have to hunt down the executable I got from this particular sale, or even worry about having lost it to hard drive failure.

I've actually been waiting for a sale on it, and I almost bought it for $10 over the xmas sale, but what can I say.. I am a CAG :) I suspect eventually it'll be $5 there. I'd buy a copy for around that for my macbook if he had a mac version up, though.[/QUOTE]
oh i get it,
Braggin rights?

lol the same thing happened to world of goo when it came on the pay what you want deal.

it was heartbreaking that i couldnt attach it to my steam account

After all, the cool kids own a lot of games and want to show them off :cool:

[quote name='crunchewy']Steam isn't going to be around in ten years, most likely, and any games you need to redownload will be lost.[/QUOTE]

It has to be! How else would Valve distribute Half Life 3? :D

[quote name='PikaPichu']It has to be! How else would Valve distribute Half Life 3? :D[/QUOTE]

At the rate Valve is going, it'll still be Episode 3 we are waiting for...

On topic though, this is a great game! I don't know about the $20 price tag, but easily worth the money I paid for it.

[quote name='crunchewy']Steam isn't going to be around in ten years, most likely, and any games you need to redownload will be lost.[/QUOTE]

Uh huh, sure.

[quote name='iowaholdem']No, a penny donation does not cost the developer's money in transaction fees! Paypal will simply eat up the $0.01 and that'll be the end of it. Any transaction under $0.33 and Paypal will take 100%. At $0.34, Paypal gets $0.33 and the developer gets $0.01.

The fee schedule is as follows (for the vast majority of transactions)

$0.01-0.33 : Paypal = 100%, Developer = 0%
$0.034+ : Paypal = $0.30 + 2.9%, Developer = 97.1% - $0.30[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point. The person "donating" 1 penny is saying that the game worth just that.

[quote name='reininop']It would probably scare you all to know I'm an engineer. Well my 1.5 million oddly came from thinking about my 1 dollar as 100 dollars and 1 cent as 1 dollar. Don't ask why I did it that way. Obviously 16,000 x 1 is 16,000. Someday when you have twin 2 years olds screaming in your ear, my math will make sense.[/QUOTE]

You were just overdesigning, that's what all of us engineers do.

[quote name='PikaPichu']It has to be! How else would Valve distribute Half Life 3? :D[/QUOTE]
Meanwhile at Valve,
1240266035727.gif

I didn't think you did drugs!

[quote name='Cry Havoc']Explain.[/QUOTE]

Its at least the 2nd post in this thread that you could change the context to justifying pirating games and it would be arguments we've heard before. Just sayin'

bread's done
Back