Criterion Collection DVDs For Cheap?

I got Robocop Criterion for $2 at gamestop since they couldnt find the non-criterion edition of robocop. So you can always check there during sales.

Try DVD Empire. All of their Criterions that retail for $39.95 are priced at $30.03, making them perfect for Google Checkout. I got The Third Man for about $23.

Will

[quote name='will_butler']Try DVD Empire. All of their Criterions that retail for $39.95 are priced at $30.03, making them perfect for Google Checkout. I got The Third Man for about $23.

Will[/QUOTE]

I'll buy the Third Man when the new version comes out. It will most definitelly look awesome.

[quote name='Kerig']What's the big deal with criterion, again?

It should be self-cleaning for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

They tend to be presented very well with loads of extras and the PQ is usually good. That said, I think a lot of people just like the spine #s.

If you have a Tower Records near you, their liquidation discount should hit 60% on Wednesday. If you're lucky, they may still have some criterions left. At 60% off their jacked up prices, they'll finally be cheaper than other stores.

My local Tower still had a few criterions left this weekend; Traffic, Life Aquatic, Hopscotch, and a couple others I can't remember.

Amazon has these Criterion box sets on sale (50% off original price). Here are the boxsets and the new prices. I've got no idea how long this has been going on or how long it's going to last. I'm getting the Samurai one, 4 Samurai movies for $50? freakin sweet.

Fanny and Alexander $29.97
John Cassavetes $62.47
Rebel Samurai $49.97
Fassbinder's BRD Trilogy $39.97
Andrzej Wajda $39.97
Stage and Spectacle $39.97
Eisenstein - The Sound Years (Ivan the Terrible Parts 1 & 2, Alexander Nevsky) $39.97

OP...good to see that you have an excellent taste in DVDs...

too bad your posting this now, you just missed the big DeepDiscountDVD sale....it was a great way to save 20% off already reduced priced Criterions....I know I picked up 4 myself during the big sale....

[quote name='starman9000']They tend to be presented very well with loads of extras and the PQ is usually good. That said, I think a lot of people just like the spine #s.[/QUOTE]

I tend to find some of the Criterion discs extras to be rather lackluster when compared to the studio releases. Particularly the MGM released movies.

The big draw with Criterion is that everything on the disc, packaging, etc. is approved by the director (Hence the signature on the label). However, I call it into question sometimes. The transfer on Rushmore was pretty awful, despite being approved by Wes Anderson.

Criterion often has limited licenses on their releases, so many collectors view certain releases as the holy grail of DVDs (Salo for example. I've seen it go for well over $500 on ebay)

[quote name='terribledeli']

Criterion often has limited licenses on their releases, so many collectors view certain releases as the holy grail of DVDs (Salo for example. I've seen it go for well over $500 on ebay)[/quote]

Wouldn't touch Salo with a 10 ft pole *shudder*.

Criterion is usually the only distributer to carry some titles (particuliarily indie and foreign films). I personally have a couple, such as "M", "The Seven Samurai", "8 1/2", "La Dolce Vida" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and they were great purchases. Having said that, I do typically wait until they are on sale or something cause they are very pricey.

[quote name='tholly']OP...good to see that you have an excellent taste in DVDs...[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd say that. For all we know, he could be referring to Armageddon and The Rock CC's.

BTW, Criterion just got the rights to Salo back, so their should be a re-release sometime in 2007 with a new transfer. Now everyone can enjoy the greatest poo-eating movie ever made without paying an arm and a leg for it!

[quote name='munch']I'll buy the Third Man when the new version comes out. It will most definitelly look awesome.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know that there was going to be a new version coming out until I had already ordered it. When I got it in the mail, I turned around and made a few bucks profit on ebay. It's one of my top ten movies of all time, so I'll be nitpicky about getting the best possible presentation of it. But I directed some relatives to the same deals on Rashomon and M for me for Christmas, so at least I know those won't be replaced for some time. :)

Will

I remember seeing some at Costco a while ago, so check with your local warehouse and see if there are still any left.

A lot of the Criterion releases were mastered several years ago, obviously the picture quality cannot compare to recent studio releases. I was watching The Silence of the Lambs recently and the picture quality just begs for a cleanup/remastering... but I guess at the time of its release it was the best you could get on the market.

Still waiting for them to release The Game on DVD... loved everything they put on the LD box.

I'm just wondering if they're going to remaster some of the older Seijun Suzuki ones. I just bought Branded to Kill, and that was a pretty early release. Oh well.

Ah, correct. La Dolce Vita is not Criterion. Since most of Fellini's films on DVD are Criterion, I always lump that one in and it isn't.

[quote name='munch']I'll buy the Third Man when the new version comes out. It will most definitelly look awesome.[/quote]

When was this announced?

[quote name='andysavestheday']Amazon has these Criterion box sets on sale (50% off original price). Here are the boxsets and the new prices. I've got no idea how long this has been going on or how long it's going to last. I'm getting the Samurai one, 4 Samurai movies for $50? freakin sweet.

Fanny and Alexander $29.97
John Cassavetes $62.47
Rebel Samurai $49.97
Fassbinder's BRD Trilogy $39.97
Andrzej Wajda $39.97
Stage and Spectacle $39.97
Eisenstein - The Sound Years (Ivan the Terrible Parts 1 & 2, Alexander Nevsky) $39.97[/quote]

You have just absolutely fucking made my day. I've been wanting the Eisenstein set forever. Criterion is the only one to put the stuff out and Amazon is the only place I have been able to find them. DDD, DVDPlanet, etc. don't carry it and I do believe that buy.com no longer has it. This is an incredible price for this set. i once had it and it got stolen and this was when I bought just as DVD was really hitting the market.

now if only criterion would put out the silent years set that fans have been waiting for since the dawn of time.

Yeah, I love Eisenstein. Didn't he do "man with a movie camera" or something like that, where he just went around and filmed Russia? And "Strike!"? Yeah, he needs a silent box set.

[quote name='andysavestheday']Yeah, I love Eisenstein. Didn't he do "man with a movie camera" or something like that, where he just went around and filmed Russia? And "Strike!"? Yeah, he needs a silent box set.[/QUOTE]

Eisenstein did "Strike!", but I think Dziga Vertov did "Man with a Movie Camera".

[quote name='norkusa']I don't know if I'd say that. For all we know, he could be referring to Armageddon and The Rock CC's.

BTW, Criterion just got the rights to Salo back, so their should be a re-release sometime in 2007 with a new transfer. Now everyone can enjoy the greatest poo-eating movie ever made without paying an arm and a leg for it![/QUOTE]
Certanly one of the "important classic films", also one of the "greatest films from around the world", I'm glad Criterion is so dedicated to their cause to deliver it to us in an edition that offers "the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements."

:roll:

Does anybody know if Criterion is releasing El Topo on DVD? I recall reading somewhere that they would but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

This is a site I use to keep up on the Criterion releases:

http://www.criteriondvd.com/

Pretty good site.

The Amazon box set sale is over. Where's the next criterion sale at? I've got a list a mile long and I'm gonna have Christmas money to spend so where's the big CC sale?

bread's done
Back