Criterion DVDs Half-Off @ Barnes & Noble 7/14-8/03

stimutax

CAGiversary!
Just thought I'd let you good folks know that beginning next Tuesday, all Criterion DVDs will be 50% off (60% off for card members!) at Barnes and Noble, and Criterion stuff practically never goes on sale. I'm a sucker for these overpriced sets and will definitely be taking the opportunity to complete my Kurosawa collection. :bouncy:

Online, too, do you know? Two Godard films (Two or Three Things I Know About Her and Made in U.S.A.) and Polanski's Repulsion come out in late July, which I'm going to buy as soon as possible anyway. I think all of the Barnes & Nobles around here carry few or no DVDs, though.

Yes, Blu-Ray sets will be on sale as well, though I have no idea whether the sale will be on BN.com, since they're technically a different company.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']so what does this make them come out to?[/QUOTE]

~$18 for most, which is still a few dollars cheaper than deepdiscount.

Here's a few coupons to sweeten the deal:

10% Off One Item
0709_non_coup.jpg

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=28900

15% Off One Item for Barnes and Nobles Members:
0709_mem_coup.jpg

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nonav.asp?PID=28899

[quote name='TDAGARIM']Here's a few coupons to sweeten the deal:
[/QUOTE]

I love you... this is insane. 75% off of The Last Emperor Blu-ray makes it $10. I cannot resist.

There's also some stuff by Yasujiro Ozu and Jim Jarmusch that I'm looking to pick up.

[quote name='zenintrude']I love you... this is insane. 75% off of The Last Emperor Blu-ray makes it $10. I cannot resist.

There's also some stuff by Yasujiro Ozu and Jim Jarmusch that I'm looking to pick up.[/QUOTE]

You can't stack the coupon, but you should be able to use them on separate Criterion movies.

Unless you are talking about the membership discount, in which case, my mistake.

EDIT: In any case, it wouldn't be $10.

Retail: $40
Membership (*10% off): $36
50% off sale: $18
15% off coupon: $15.30

The coupon takes 15% off the price after everything else, not along with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FlamedLiquid']do you have to be a member to use the coupon? May have to finally sign up.[/QUOTE]

It looks like only the 15% off requires a $25 membership. I listed all of the movies I plan to purchase, factoring in the 10% membership discount, and I would have to spend $213 to make use of membership.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']do you have to be a member to use the coupon? May have to finally sign up.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the "member's only" coupons won't even ring up if the transaction doesn't have a member discount applied. But you can use those 10% off ones to your heart's content.

Life Aquatic is NOT included.
:\
I'm going to have to gamble on an in-store tomorrow for my three. My wife used the code online already.

Weird... not all Criterions are included. For example, For All Mankind isn't included, and neither is the two-disc Pygmalion (though the one disc, "Essential Art House" edition is)

Neither is Good Morning... wtf. It's a conspiracy against me! :p

Rashomon 2-disc also excluded... yikes. It's so random.

And yet discontinued titles like "RAN" are on sale... bizarro!

[quote name='philmcfly']The 15% member coupon keeps going thru if you put orders in. Too bad they cancel all the orders except the newest one with the coupon applied.

I'll try the 10% ones.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? Mine says "this coupon has already been used" for both the one that expires July 31st and the one posted in the thread.

I ordered the following box sets....should arrive in a few days....this is going to be a good week for me with all these new Criterions on the way....

The Orphic Trilogy
The BRD Trilogy
Stage And Spectacle: Three Films By Jean Renoir
Andrzej Wajda: Three War Films
4 By Agnès Varda
Great Adaptations

I also have the For All Mankind Blu-Ray coming from Amazon.com (list as shipping soon....should arrive this week as well.)

I really wanted the Dreyer, Robeson, & Rebel Samurai box sets, but sadly these aren't included in the sale. Too bad, B&N would have gotten my money for 9 box sets, rather than just 6.

Cool, was able to finally pickup Sullivan's Travels Criterion for under $30 to help complete my AFI Top 100 collection.

Now just waiting for those Gone With the Wind and Wizard Of Oz Blu releases sometime this year and I'm just about there except for the out of print films on the list.

[quote name='tholly']I ordered the following box sets....should arrive in a few days....this is going to be a good week for me with all these new Criterions on the way....

The Orphic Trilogy
The BRD Trilogy
Stage And Spectacle: Three Films By Jean Renoir
Andrzej Wajda: Three War Films
4 By Agnès Varda
Great Adaptations[/QUOTE]

That BRD trilogy is great. I'm a big fan of both the films and Criterion's work on the set.

Just ordered Chungking Express on Blu for $15.29 + tax shipped with membership, the 15% off coupon, and the visaloyalty link for free shipping, and hopefully I get Bing cashback too. The Third Man is an absolute must own at that price if you don't have it.

[quote name='rabbitt']I just returned from a B&M run and there are no limitations in-store. All Criterion's are half-off.[/QUOTE]

Confirmed in Cherry Hill, NJ. My Dinner with André is $33.99 online, but $20 in-store.

[quote name='rabbitt']I just returned from a B&M run and there are no limitations in-store. All Criterion's are half-off.[/QUOTE]

I'll confirm this as well... grabbed these for $94+tax:

Brazil
Fear and Loathing
The Last Emperor (Blu)
The Life Aquatic
Rashomon
The Third Man (Blu)

Gonna buy Bottle Rocket (Blu), In the Mood for Love, and Pygmalion online, and check another BN for Good Morning, For All Mankind (Blu), and maybe pick up Tokyo Story (any opinions on this?)

[quote name='zenintrude']I'll confirm this as well... grabbed these for $94+tax:

Brazil
Fear and Loathing
The Last Emperor (Blu)
The Life Aquatic
Rashomon
The Third Man (Blu)

Gonna buy Bottle Rocket (Blu), In the Mood for Love, and Pygmalion online, and check another BN for Good Morning, For All Mankind (Blu), and maybe pick up Tokyo Story (any opinions on this?)[/QUOTE]

I like Tokyo Story a lot, if that's what you're asking, despite my not being much a fan of Ozu. It also seems like that DVD is drying up--I don't think it's out of print, but I think I've only seen it like twice or so in the past three years.

Confirmed for no title limitation at B&M Stores.

Did 5 separate Blu-Ray online orders with the Member Discount + the 15% off discount. Each order came out to $35.61 with Free Shipping.

Orders:
1) The 400 Blows
Wages of Fear

2) The Third Man
The Man Who Fell to Earth

3) The Last Emperor
Bottle Rocket

4) Chungking Express
El Norte

5) The Last Metro
In the Realm of the Senses

These 10 are the only 50% off Blu-Rays available online (hopefully just for now). I found it cheaper to just do 5 orders so I can use the 15% coupon over and over. I did 2 per order because you need $25.00 to get Free Shipping (Otherwise it's $3.97 - which is more than 15% off per movie).

I went to the B&M store at Menlo Park Mall in Edison, NJ and they had a mere 6 Criterion Blu-Rays (Not Titles, Blu-Rays lol). The lady at the register let me do 2 Blu-Ray transactions so I could use both coupons that I printed out from the previous page.

1) For All Mankind ($16.37 with 15% off)
2) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ($17.33 with 10% off)

I'm going to visit another B&N after work and see if I can pick up:

The Seventh Seal
Last Year at Marienbad

Somethign to note is that this offer expires on August 2nd. The only Criterion Blu-Ray to be released before the end of the sale is Repulsion on July 28, 2009. We can probably pick that up when it comes out.

Can anyone shed any light on in store pre-orders? If we can get 50% off a pre-order the following are available:

(The numbers are the Criterion catalog numbers).

112) Playtime (08.18.2009)
167) The Complete Monterey Pop Festival (09.22.2009)
267) Kagemusha (08.18.2009)
421) Pierrot Le Fou (09.22.2009)
483) Repulsion (07.28.2009) [$39.99 Online]

[quote name='sirhansirhan']I like Tokyo Story a lot, if that's what you're asking, despite my not being much a fan of Ozu. It also seems like that DVD is drying up--I don't think it's out of print, but I think I've only seen it like twice or so in the past three years.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm really facinated with modernity and modern Japan, and so I absolutely loved Good Morning... so I'm basing my possible purchase of Tokyo Story on that. I know you said that you're not a fan of Ozu, but would you say that it deals with similar issues/themes (i.e. the changing from traditional Japan to the more modern country we know today)?

Bought Benjamin Button, Seventh Seal, and For All Mankind Blu Rays in store for $49.20 including 6% tax after using 2 15% off and 1 10% coupons along with membership. I also tried to preorder Monterey Pop and it's not 50% off as part of the sale, only 20%.

Pre-Orders

I just called another local B&N. If a movie is out of Stock they can order it, but it HAS to come in before the sale ends on the 2nd. Barnes & Noble does hold things to the side for pickup for 3 days or something FYI.

Due to the nature of this order, I believe that you can't pre-order anything coming out after the sale.

If we're out of something in the store, we're more than happy to place a special order for in-store pickup. Usually takes 3-4 business days to arrive and will be held for two weeks.

[quote name='ryosnk']Is In the Realm of the Senses a good movie to get with El norte on bluray?[/QUOTE]

If you like lots and lots of Asian sex, then yes.

bread's done
Back