Criterion titles going OOP

zenintrude

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
You may want to purchase these ASAP if you have any interest in them at all as they are now out of print:

Alphaville
Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy (Eclipse Series 6)
Le corbeau
Coup de torchon
Diary of a Country Priest
The Fallen Idol
Forbidden Games (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Gervaise (Essential Art House edition)
Grand Illusion (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Le jour se lève (Essential Art House edition)
Last Holiday (Essential Art House edition)
Mayerling (Essential Art House edition)
The Orphic Trilogy
Peeping Tom
Pierrot le fou (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
Port of Shadows
Quai des Orfèvres
The Small Back Room
The Tales of Hoffmann (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Trafic
Le trou
Variety Lights (Essential Art House edition)
The White Sheik

That is all.

Well, if nothing else forced me to buy these, this news sure will... Any recommendations other than Pierrot le fou, which I love (even though they're all probably excellent)?

You can find a lot of OOP criterions at your local barnes and nobles or borders. I got a sealed Sid & Nancy there a few years ago that I still have to this day.

I think at this point we can assume that all Studio Canal releases Criterion currently has are going OOP as soon as their license expires. I'm just glad Criterion gave us this news ahead of time so we all have until March (which is when these titles go OOP) to buy these.

So whose hoping for BN Criterion Sale? :)

[quote name='Arakias']Whats the source for these as I would like to know for future OOP info.[/QUOTE]

same here. was wondering why these are going OOP.

[quote name='Arakias']Whats the source for these as I would like to know for future OOP info.[/QUOTE]

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1366

/obvious

And the reason they're going OOP... simple: StudioCanal has decided to fuck over Criterion by enforcing their copyright. So instead of allowing Criterion to preserve these films and sell them within their "collection" while taking their cut as copyright holders, they've decided to produce, market, and distribute the movies themselves... without the Criterion-level of detail when it comes to restoration and completeness.

See the Ran Blu-ray as an example of this... Criterion was set to release their version of Ran on Blu-ray, StudioCanal enforced their copyright, and we got the mediocre transfer via StudioCanal/Lionsgate.

Fun, fun.

[quote name='Arakias']so awesome of you to be sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

*nod*

And I do see the post above mine... however, mine has a little bit more insight as to why it's all happening.

As for the whole sarcasm thing, I added that because if I were wondering, I'd at least check the horse's mouth before making a post... clearly it was easy enough for you to find, so why the need to ask?

I mean, if it wasn't that "obvious," I probably wouldn't have been so sarcastic ;)

Just in my own world, if I'm quoting another site or source for news or a deal I provide the link or original text in quotes to it to increase validity as you didnt type the list, just copied and pasted it. Which is not wrong, but well whatever.

no worries though. i know that there are sites dedicated to telling people what dvds are going out of print or are rare and was wondering if it was from one of those (cause i dont know them)
thanks for heads up.

[quote name='Arakias']Just in my own world, if I'm quoting another site or source for news or a deal I provide the link or original text in quotes to it to increase validity as you didnt type the list, just copied and pasted it. Which is not wrong, but well whatever.

no worries though. i know that there are sites dedicated to telling people what dvds are going out of print or are rare and was wondering if it was from one of those (cause i dont know them)
thanks for heads up.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. There was no need for that jerky post above yours either but that's just the way some people are I guess.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I agree with you. There was no need for that jerky post above yours either but that's just the way some people are I guess.[/QUOTE]

Lol... yup, jerky. The guy who made the thread to begin with: BIG FAT JERK.

[quote name='zenintrude']Lol... yup, jerky. The guy who made the thread to begin with: BIG FAT JERK.[/QUOTE]

So just because you made this thread means you can't also be a jerk in a different post? That's wonderful logic. Look, I'm not trying to derail the thread into some stupid debate, I just thought the tone of your post where you were defending your sarcastic (and unneeded) comment was also not necessary. I appreciate the heads-up on the list though. Perhaps in the future you could eliminate all of this stuff by simply sourcing where you got tihe information from.

Criterion is also offering $5 off each oop title.
I'm tempted to get some now, because they will probably cost a bit more later.

I'm probably going to pick up Alphaville, Peeping Tom, and Traffic from Criterion's site. I grabbed Pierrot le Fou from Glyde in "excellent" condition, so I kind of want to wait for that to come in before I order the other 3, in case it's actually shitty and I have to buy it again from Criterion.

[quote name='Azumangaman']I picked up Grand Illusion and Pierrot Le Fou Blu Ray.
Both were really expensive at Barnes and Noble, but at least I have them now.[/QUOTE]

Why didn't you just buy them online then? I'm sure you would have saved $10-20 that way.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Why didn't you just buy them online then? I'm sure you would have saved $10-20 that way.[/QUOTE]He may have had some B&N gift cards and/or coupons.

That's the only reason I'd run over to B&N or Borders for any BR's or DVD's.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Why didn't you just buy them online then? I'm sure you would have saved $10-20 that way.[/QUOTE]
I live in Canada, and they only ship within the US afaik. Also, they're way more expensive (and impossible to find) up here, so when I was in Miami I picked them up while I could.

[quote name='Azumangaman']I live in Canada, and they only ship within the US afaik. Also, they're way more expensive (and impossible to find) up here, so when I was in Miami I picked them up while I could.[/QUOTE]

Ah I see, didn't notice you were from Canada. I thought it was one of those occasions where you saw it in stores and just bought it on impulse. I tend to do that, lol.

[quote name='shrike4242']He may have had some B&N gift cards and/or coupons.

That's the only reason I'd run over to B&N or Borders for any BR's or DVD's.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the only way I'll ever pick up a blu from Borders is if I have one of those 30 percent off coupons. (Which they send out every week, if you sign up for them). Other than that every blu I want from them is usually regular priced 34-39.99. :shock:

Anyone know the difference between a standard Criterion version and an Essential Arthouse version of the same film? Difference in transfer or extras?

To add to my above post I'm wondering about 'The Grand Illusion' differences if any between Criterion version & Essential Arthouse

bread's done
Back