Crossfire or not?

n4styn4t3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Just built a PC a month ago with a 6870 GPU. No complaints at all but I see a dude on Craigslist selling a 6870 for $100. If I can talk him down to $70, would it be worth it to run two cards in Crossfire?

it helps a ton for lets say rendering youtube clips or live streaming

honestly i would for only 50$ but i do the above 2 methods a lot. :)

Radeon HD 6870's scale incredibly well and nearly doubles FPS in games. Whether that's worth it to you or not at whatever price it is you're trying to pay is up to you. You have to be incredibly lucky to buy a 6870 for $50, average price for used ones end up for around ~$120.

Link for some examples.

Make sure you have the mobo and PSU to support Xfire.

You're FPS will jump and you will be able to game for the next 5+ years at some pretty high settings. The only downside is that constant tweaking you will have to do to make sure your dual GPUs are in working order.

I used to run Xfire and SLI setups, but not anymore. Its too much of a hassle to make sure stuffs working correctly, and I'd always have weird issues with stuttering caused by Xfire and whatnot. Now I just go with the best single GPU and call it a day.

[quote name='SEH']I used to run Xfire and SLI setups, but not anymore. Its too much of a hassle to make sure stuffs working correctly, and I'd always have weird issues with stuttering caused by Xfire and whatnot. Now I just go with the best single GPU and call it a day.[/QUOTE]

This has been the case for every single person I know in RL that went with xfire. I've seen the problem first hand at LANs with the most competent of PC gurus. So unless you're making Toy Story 5, just go with 1 card.

[quote name='Megazell']This has been the case for every single person I know in RL that went with xfire. I've seen the problem first hand at LANs with the most competent of PC gurus. So unless you're making Toy Story 5, just go with 1 card.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the advice guys. Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

I'd pay the $100 for the 6870 if you can talk him down any I'd jump all over it.

Depending on what game you play you can see a good jump in performance. Make sure your PSU can handle the 2 cards though.

bread's done
Back